Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Applied Computing in WIT

• 10-02-2014 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

Just wondering what programming languages are taught in this course?

I'm in first year at the moment and just want to learn some myself so I'm better prepared when they come up. Only done Java so far.

Was thinking about doing some PHP or ruby on my own time for some web development, will PHP be taught at all?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 fatgleeson

I'm in Entertainments and I definitely remember my Applied friends talking about PHP. It could have changed by now though. You're better off asking a 3rd or 4th year. People ask older students questions all the time, come to a class and ask someone for a minute on the way out, we won't bite. Better yet, ask a lecturer (I know for Networking at least Richard Frisby is enthusiastic towards students who ask questions like that)

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

Java, HTML, CSS, JQUERY, Javascript, SQL, XML, PHP

Highly recommend creating a few Database Driven PHP sites that you can then connect with Java. It just makes sense to work on projects that use the lot.

HTML, CSS, JQuery, PHP Website connecting to an SQL database. Then just code a Java app that connects for some reason and youll get a nice bit of experience in each.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭WLad

Highly recommend creating a few Database Driven PHP sites that you can then connect with Java. It just makes sense to work on projects that use the lot.

HTML, CSS, JQuery, PHP Website connecting to an SQL database. Then just code a Java app that connects for some reason and youll get a nice bit of experience in each.

Great thanks, I'll try that! As a matter of interest how do you find the course? Any hints tips for specific modules or anything? Thanks!

Not on that exact course but had most of the modules.

With all IT youll get back what you put in. Lots and lots of self study. The way to stand out and get ahead is take the initiative and work on projects like this without waiting for a lecturer to tell you. You could for example think of a major project and do it in parts using those different parts as course work.

For example.

You plan a project for a made up shop that sells any good really but lets use clothes. Break it up into parts such as Front End HTML, CSS, JQuery and PHP. Have a decent front end with different sections for different clothes etc. Have it all working off an SQL database. Have a login system where Owner can login and Admin site.

Then build some kind of stock system with Java that works off the same database where maybe it has 2 sections. 1 for Owner which is passworded and 1 for User which allows to browse clothes. Owner can admin the clothes. Add, Remove etc..

You can think of any good to do this really but at the end of the day you have about 3 modules worth of projects there. Server Side, SQL and Java.

Looking at the course outline you could do all this and have a huge advantage in Semester 4.

Great thanks for all that! I've downloaded Wamp and so will get to use all of those.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭b0ardsUser

Personally I wouldn't recommend any of them.

I would recommend pick up something like an Arduino http://www.arduino.cc/ an mBed http://mbed.org/ micro-controller or a more hands on micro (nerd-kits) http://www.nerdkits.com/, this will expose you to bits of C/C style programming using embedded devices (which is an optional stream later on). Personally, I think it's very important to have somewhat of an appreciation for programming micro-controllers.

WLad wrote: »
    Great thanks, I'll try that! As a matter of interest how do you find the course? Any hints tips for specific modules or anything? Thanks!

Graduate here, I would recommend working hard on the maths if you aren't too great at it. Maths pops up everywhere for Applied in some form or another. Keep on top of your C.A. when it comes to programming assingments make sure you cover the spec correctly and don't be afraid to "go that extra mile" on programming assingments, you usually get more marks for it.

Are there any subjects you like/dislike?

b0ardsUser wrote: »
    Graduate here, I would recommend working hard on the maths if you aren't too great at it. Maths pops up everywhere for Applied in some form or another. Keep on top of your C.A. when it comes to programming assingments make sure you cover the spec correctly and don't be afraid to "go that extra mile" on programming assingments, you usually get more marks for it.

I'm not too bad at maths so I should be ok for those. I really enjoy app Dev with Eamonn and programming with Mairead. I'm trying to learn php myself at the moment too but finding it hard to get a good online resource.

I'm not too bad at maths so I should be ok for those. I really enjoy app Dev with Eamonn and programming with Mairead. I'm trying to learn php myself at the moment too but finding it hard to get a good online resource.

PHP isn't something I've really focused too much on, but some of these might help you out.

http://uk1.php.net/tutorial
    http://www.codecademy.com/tracks/php
    http://devzone.zend.com/6/php-101-php-for-the-absolute-beginner/
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Learning-MySQL-JavaScript-Step---Step/dp/1449319262/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1394193123&sr=8-1&keywords=php

If you're 'clever' enough, you might be able to source some e-books online for free..... :rolleyes:

PHP isn't something I've really focused too much on, but some of these might help you out.

http://uk1.php.net/tutorial
    http://www.codecademy.com/tracks/php
    http://devzone.zend.com/6/php-101-php-for-the-absolute-beginner/
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Learning-MySQL-JavaScript-Step---Step/dp/1449319262/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1394193123&sr=8-1&keywords=php

If you're 'clever' enough, you might be able to source some e-books online for free..... :rolleyes:

Thanks very much! Will have a look at those! What did you think of the course? What stream did you choose in 2nd year? I'm thinking of taking networking because I've heard off some current 4th years its a great thing to have.

• Advertisement

What do you actually want to do with your life?

Do you actually like networking. Personally i think its the most boring horrible subject in IT. Unless you actually want to work in networking dont do it. choose what you actually like rather than what some other fella told you he liked.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 JimJamMiniMini

Do you know maybe if WIT teaches languages like C/C++? Because all i see is java, js, php, html etc.

Do you know maybe if WIT teaches languages like C/C++? Because all i see is java, js, php, html etc.

Wow, 2 years since I posted this. Madness! Well as someone finished all my 3rd year modules now maybe I am well placed to answer.

So far I have used Java, Python & Javascript extensively. We have also gotten pretty good exposure to SQL (MySQL) and NoSQL in the form of mongo.

At the end of the day the language you use does not matter, and it is the wrong thing to focus on. I was eager myself to know which languages so I could position myself better for 3rd and 4th year.

However from what I gather so far in the course C++ is used in the games stream (which I did not choose) and the embedded stream also uses it (again, not me). One great thing about this course though is that it equips you with the tools you need to program in any language. Once the syntax is learned you can literally start learning any language. This semester we learned and became quite comfortable with python & javascript all within about 4 weeks. We submitted 4 quite substantial projects (2 python 2 node.js, angular.js) this semester.

So basically what I am saying is don't get too hung up on languages, as if you really want to learn a certain one you can do it outside of college if they don't use it in the classroom ;)

Wow, 2 years since I posted this. Madness! Well as someone finished all my 3rd year modules now maybe I am well placed to answer.

So far I have used Java, Python & Javascript extensively. We have also gotten pretty good exposure to SQL (MySQL) and NoSQL in the form of mongo.

At the end of the day the language you use does not matter, and it is the wrong thing to focus on. I was eager myself to know which languages so I could position myself better for 3rd and 4th year.

However from what I gather so far in the course C++ is used in the games stream (which I did not choose) and the embedded stream also uses it (again, not me). One great thing about this course though is that it equips you with the tools you need to program in any language. Once the syntax is learned you can literally start learning any language. This semester we learned and became quite comfortable with python & javascript all within about 4 weeks. We submitted 4 quite substantial projects (2 python 2 node.js, angular.js) this semester.

So basically what I am saying is don't get too hung up on languages, as if you really want to learn a certain one you can do it outside of college if they don't use it in the classroom ;)

And did you find the course hard? Lots of work (No time for parties etc.)? Do you know anything about the software systems development course and is it worth it?

And did you find the course hard? Lots of work (No time for parties etc.)? Do you know anything about the software systems development course and is it worth it?

I will be honest the course is difficult, but manageable. The work load is high. You will have multiple assignments all due at the same time and it is easy to feel swamped, especially in third year (and from what I hear 4th year is worse). If you are happy to just sail through and get all 50s and 60s then the pressure is ease but if you want to aim for 70+ they really make you work for it with increasing difficulty after 1st year.

I do not know much about SSD at all. I would say though that if you want to be a programmer and just think because it says software development in the title of SSD then it is the course for you then you should give it more thought. As I said I don't know much about it but from what I have heard the quality of programmer turned out from Applied is much higher than SSD, which is only natural considering we have an extra year.

When we graduate we are almost guaranteed a job in software, as anyone I have heard of has gotten one after graduation. Most actually have a job sorted before 4th year starts. The complete grounding we get in computing is second to none at WIT, indeed nationwide.

Some friends of mine entered my course thinking they wanted to be programmers but found this year they much prefer infrastructure. Our course has given us a lot of tools we need to get jobs in this sector while also giving us programming skills. I really cannot recommend it enough and if it is development you like I would highly recommend applied.

I hope this has helped you. Anything else just let me know.

I will be honest the course is difficult, but manageable. The work load is high. You will have multiple assignments all due at the same time and it is easy to feel swamped, especially in third year (and from what I hear 4th year is worse). If you are happy to just sail through and get all 50s and 60s then the pressure is ease but if you want to aim for 70+ they really make you work for it with increasing difficulty after 1st year.

I do not know much about SSD at all. I would say though that if you want to be a programmer and just think because it says software development in the title of SSD then it is the course for you then you should give it more thought. As I said I don't know much about it but from what I have heard the quality of programmer turned out from Applied is much higher than SSD, which is only natural considering we have an extra year.

When we graduate we are almost guaranteed a job in software, as anyone I have heard of has gotten one after graduation. Most actually have a job sorted before 4th year starts. The complete grounding we get in computing is second to none at WIT, indeed nationwide.

Some friends of mine entered my course thinking they wanted to be programmers but found this year they much prefer infrastructure. Our course has given us a lot of tools we need to get jobs in this sector while also giving us programming skills. I really cannot recommend it enough and if it is development you like I would highly recommend applied.

I hope this has helped you. Anything else just let me know.

I am thinking about computer/cyber security and thats what im interested but im also interested in programming and software but what i read is that when i go to software development course or computing course i will have more flexibility in the field and then i could even work in security and the software systems development has a 1 year addon also so its level 8 degree and i will probably not finish at level 7.
    Also , is the work load so high that you must stay all night and do it and you dont have a day off or two ? (Weekends)
    Where did you go for a work placement ? Did you enjoy it ? :)

Could i work as a software engineer after the Software Systems Development course ?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭HungryEmperor

I am in Computer Forensics and Security which has a fair bit of crossover with applied, work load is high but you get out of it what you put in. These are not courses for people who want to party away college, unless you are very gifted with programming and computers in general it wont happen. But if you enjoy computers and you are willing to work its worth it.

Applied has Forensics as an elective module in 2nd year and join us for some of their modules , this is where you would learn about secure programming, networks attacks and hacking essentially. If you are really interested in this side of computers, forensics is really interesting.

Advertisement