Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Aldi Vs Tesco Vs Dunnes Which is Cheaper and Has Better Quality?

• 03-07-2012 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

I do most of my weekly shopping in tesco but considering moving to aldi or lidl as ive heard people saying they are better for the quality and price?

Which is better? 17 votes

Aldi
    0% 0 votes
    Lidl
    70% 12 votes
    Dunnes
    17% 3 votes
    Tesco
    11% 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Depends on what your buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I think over all Aldi is the best quality and price. With lidl I think you have to be careful what you buy, I never feel that way with aldi. I do most of my shopping in aldi, it's a good bit away from me but well worth it. Tesco and dunnes value items are often lidl like in quality. I just never feel like I am compromising with aldi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

A lot of Aldi <SNIP> <own brands> are actually manufactured by the company they are<SNIP>. Their 'pringles' and manufactuered by pringles etc as far as I know.

As for price and quality none of the above. A good butchers, a good green grocer and then the rest from either Aldi or Tesco is my advice.

You can't beat a proper butcher imo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ Tomas Witty Squash

The question is much too simplistic.

It depends on the location - e.g. I will shop in Dunnes as it is beside work rather than travel 3 miles to Aldi.
    The products I want to buy are important. e.g. Youngs Frozen Cod is not available in Tesco
    Price and quality are difficult to get together. I get best price and quality for meat in our village Butchers. The best price and quality for potatoes in the small corner shop on my way home.
    For me convenience is worth a lot so the primary deciding factor is what supermarket is nearest and has all I want from a supermarket under one roof. Fruit veg meat etc are not supermarket products for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

We get most of our stuff in Aldi, their biscuits and bars are exactly the same as named brand, if not nicer!

We get our meat in the butchers now, 20euro will get us nearly two weeks of dinners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

OP - there is no real single Consumer Issue here. Hence I will close the thread.

In addition your question has many variables - what are the items you wish to purchase, which supermarkets are close to your home/workplace, are you willing to spend petrol and time in order to make monetary savings, etc...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement