Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

London rail packages from airport and around

• 08-03-2009 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭

We're flying into London Stansted and wondering if there's any rail + tube deals that people may know of for the weekend and more.
    We require a 4 day undergound pass, Saturday to Tuesday and also return rail tickets to London Stansted (the Stansted Express I think).
    Does anyone know if there's any option to combine the 2 and hopefully get a discount?

I'm sure we'll find out when we get to the airport but I see the Stansted Express tickets are ~26stg.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,148 ✭✭✭✭Berty

The Stanstead Express can be bought online BUT Ryanair, if you are flying with them, sell them onboard for cheaper than anybody else. Buy onboard.

The tube tickets really depend on where in London you wish to travel to. There are different zones and different lines. A lot of people tend to stay in the Bayswater area which is in Zone 2 so to travel to shopping and sights you would need a Zone 1 and 2 which can be bought at machines or at a kiosk and in shops/newsagents.

London underground recently brought out the visitor Oyster Card which is a top up card and cheaper per trip than paying for it individually. Only available at Adult prices.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/faresandtickets/visitortickets/5185.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭learnerplates

Ryanair eh, we are flying with them, I'll keep an eye out.

We'll be moving in and out of city on the tube as well as using the return Gatwick express.
    The Oyster card will cover all of the above then as a single ticket? it is discounted then is it?

I was hoping there'd be some all inclusive ticket for tourists, maybe the Oyster Card is the closest thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Ryanair eh, we are flying with them, I'll keep an eye out.

We'll be moving in and out of city on the tube as well as using the return Gatwick express.
    The Oyster card will cover all of the above then as a single ticket? it is discounted then is it?

I was hoping there'd be some all inclusive ticket for tourists, maybe the Oyster Card is the closest thing.

An oyster card is a pay as you go type travel card, but it gets you cheaper fares and is capped so you never pay more than getting a one day travel card. For example, if you get a bus tere is a set fare which can be £2. using an oyster card this would cost you 90p

If you plan on travelling to London again in the near future it may be worth investing the £2 it costs to get one.

For your options, the best place to look is www.tfl.gov.uk that explains zones and ticket options.

Advertisement