Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sacred Cows (people no one dares criticise)

• 02-05-2015 8:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭

What are some examples of sacred cows? That is, people who no one seems to want to criticise.

Our President, Michael D. Higgins, is one (apart from the protesters who called him a "midget parasite").

Who are some other examples?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

OAPs.

Going around in their 151 Toyota Yaris' at 40kph holding up half the bloody country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

Kids with a disability

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

The Irish rugby team.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭When the Sun Hits

Actual cows, if you're a Hindu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Brian O' Driscoll

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

Brian O' Driscoll

Good example.

And just to be clear, you can say "kids with a disability" or "OAPs" if you want, but I was referring to specific people e.g. Michael D. Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I thought that poor kid Walsh who lost his battle with cancer got away with some pretty idiotic attitudes towards suicide/depression just before he passed away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Why would anyone want to criticise BoD?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭househero

Sexton.

He fails us every single time we need him. Stupidly easy kicks. But the media lick the chocolate from his cheeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭johnny osbourne

the landlady in the local

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

razorblunt wrote: »
    I thought that poor kid Walsh who lost his battle with cancer got away with some pretty idiotic attitudes towards suicide/depression just before he passed away.

I don't blame him for that. It was ignorance by the media, just looking for a story that gave him the soapbox.

Vincent Browne .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,009 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

That bollox of an Obama

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

That bollox of an Obama

Obama is the exact opposite of a sacred cow. Go on social media and it's nothing but people tearing him to shreds.

The OP.

I think he's a right eejit.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭microsim

The mccanns.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Higgins is routinely slagged in the Irish media. No politician or public official in Ireland is off limits.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

Yes side.

*breaks glass, pulls cord ... pssst .... whump .... weeeeeeee

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭microsim

Obama is the exact opposite of a sacred cow. Go on social media and it's nothing but people tearing him to shreds.

We brought him drinking when he visited ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Liam Neeson.

He's a terrible actor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

not in this country

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Mary Robinson
    Mary McAleese
    John Hume
    Adi Roche
    John O'Shea (from Goal)
    Padraig Harrington
    Ken Doherty

• Registered Users Posts: 8,377 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Graham Norton. I mean i've never heard anything bad about him, and he seems like a pretty sound bloke. One of the best talk show hosts going today.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭bnt

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭deseil

Nelson Mandela

• Registered Users Posts: 23,654 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Rory O' Neill (Panto Bliss)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

Yes side.

*breaks glass, pulls cord ... pssst .... whump .... weeeeeeee

This, a million times this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

Vincent Browne .
    That bollox of an Obama
    microsim wrote: »
    The mccanns.
    Constantly being criticised - the McCanns to the point of being regularly accused, not just suspected of but accused, of murder, with zero concrete evidence.

I wonder will this thread end up being reams and reams of people who are constantly criticised? Yes. Yes I think it will.
    Travellers and muslims and gay people and black people will obviously be included but they're all regularly criticised.

I think the OP means individuals who are fawned over and it seems totally against the grain to criticise them.
    I would have said this was the case with Stephen Fry before, but I think people are seeing what he can be like now.

Although I am a fan of Noam Chomsky, the man has been giving an almost god-like status by some of his followers like as if he was like some sort of infallible demi-god sent from heaven to cure the world of injustice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

People with disabilities..
    Some of them can be proper cnuts

Advertisement