Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Transition year work experience ideas?

• 05-02-2013 10:19pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8

Hi, I'm in transition year in Galway city, and have to go on work experience in a few weeks. I am particularly interested in science and engineering, but I'm finding it hard to find a place. Does anyone have any ideas?:pac:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭El_Drago

If it's the research aspect you're interested in,contact various groups in the area of science/engineering you're interested in within the university and ask(the group leader) whether you can shadow them for the duration of your placement.We've had a few transition year students in our lab.Unfortunately,we can't let them do anything apart from watch because of silly insurance reasons.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

contact the science and eng departments in NUIG and GMIT, the might be able to get you a lab job for the placement, which would be great experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Considering Galway has a huge amount of biomedical device, engineering & science companies, you're not looking hard enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

Which parts of science and engineering interest you?
    Have you asked NUIG and GMIT if you could observe their researchers in science and engineering?
    Have you tried the county or city councils to see if they would let you shadow their engineers? Any aircraft companies at the local airport?
    Big companies (like Beckmann coulter?) in Galway would have engineers and scientists you could shadow both in one company.
    Try contacting the pathology departments (labs) of the university hospital and the Galway clinic to see if they would let you shadow their scientists.

There's loads of labs and engineers out there. Pick jobs that interest you and ring the companies. Generally ask to speak to someone in the job, not HR. HR tend to just say no.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 danbo50097

Which parts of science and engineering interest you?
    Have you asked NUIG and GMIT if you could observe their researchers in science and engineering?
    Have you tried the county or city councils to see if they would let you shadow their engineers? Any aircraft companies at the local airport?
    Big companies (like Beckmann coulter?) in Galway would have engineers and scientists you could shadow both in one company.
    Try contacting the pathology departments (labs) of the university hospital and the Galway clinic to see if they would let you shadow their scientists.

There's loads of labs and engineers out there. Pick jobs that interest you and ring the companies. Generally ask to speak to someone in the job, not HR. HR tend to just say no.
    Particularly mechanical engineering and/or mathematical science. Yeah, I've tried emailing NUIG, but no reply, but haven't tried GMIT yet. It's next on my agenda! The only thing is as part of insurance we're not allowed to work at an airport for some reason. But I'll definitely consider and try out all of the other options you gave me. Thanks a lot for your help, it was really useful.

• Advertisement

Seaneh wrote: »
    contact the science and eng departments in NUIG and GMIT, the might be able to get you a lab job for the placement, which would be great experience.
    Thanks for the advice, I'm on it now!

El_Drago wrote: »
    If it's the research aspect you're interested in,contact various groups in the area of science/engineering you're interested in within the university and ask(the group leader) whether you can shadow them for the duration of your placement.We've had a few transition year students in our lab.Unfortunately,we can't let them do anything apart from watch because of silly insurance reasons.
    Thanks for your advice, I've emailed a 'leader' in that area from NUIG.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

danbo50097 wrote: »
    Particularly mechanical engineering and/or mathematical science. Yeah, I've tried emailing NUIG, but no reply, but haven't tried GMIT yet. It's next on my agenda! The only thing is as part of insurance we're not allowed to work at an airport for some reason. But I'll definitely consider and try out all of the other options you gave me. Thanks a lot for your help, it was really useful.
    For mechanical engineering any factory with machines should have professionals. Failing that try GMIT. If they don't work look at car garages etc. a car is a kind of machine....!
    Mathematical science would be quite academic AFAIK so NUIG would be your best bet.
    If you don't get a reply to your email ring. The email could get buried in spam, not forwarded to the right person or not even checked.

For mechanical engineering any factory with machines should have professionals. Failing that try GMIT. If they don't work look at car garages etc. a car is a kind of machine....!
    Mathematical science would be quite academic AFAIK so NUIG would be your best bet.
    If you don't get a reply to your email ring. The email could get buried in spam, not forwarded to the right person or not even checked.
    Alright, thanks for your help, I'll do that tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Don't email. It's too easy to ignore an email. Ring the departments in NUIG you are interested in and ask for their outreach person. They arrange work experience for TYs. Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,666 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I was just gonna say the same thing: forget email for any important interactions. You need personal connections, ideally being introdued by someone you know (or someone who PMs you after seeing your post here :) ), failing that visit or cold call on the phone.

Emails will just get deleted immediately.

Don't email. It's too easy to ignore an email. Ring the departments in NUIG you are interested in and ask for their outreach person. They arrange work experience for TYs. Good luck!
    Thanks, yeah I think you're right

I'm in transition year in Galway, and have to go on work experience in 2 weeks. My T.Y co-ordinator suggested Thermoking to me.
    Does anyone know if Thermoking in Galway would take people for work experience?

Hi, I'm in transition year in Galway, and have to go on work experience in a couple of weeks..... My T.Y co-ordinator suggested ThermoKing to me for some reason, but I kinda need a place fast... Would ThermoKing in Galway take people for work experience? Anyone Know?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

No need for more than one thread.

Advertisement