Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domiciliary Care Allowance

• 03-09-2011 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 31

My son has been diagnosed with Aspergers, Dyspraxia, Sensory Processing Disorder and ADHD. He was refused DCA on lack of medical evidence. I am trying to lodge an appeal but does anyone know what the rate of success of these appeals are? I just feel like I am going around in circles- from trying to get a diagnosis to trying to get him extra help in school. I had to go private for everything. Any advice what to put in an appeal?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 rebelgirlin

Hi Katie10,we had the same problem nearly 2 years ago with our eldest. He was diagnosed with autism and trying to get anything from the state was an up hill battel. They don'tgive anything out on the first application. Everything must be appealed and re-reviewed. In our 2nd attempt for the DA we got a letter of support from his teacher,speech & language therapist,GP and the Brothers of Charity (Who diagnosed him initially). All the letters told how bad autism affected him,hissibling and us and how the allowance would benefit us(parents) becauseof the extra outgoings. The letters told the truth,all be it a darker picture of it. Goodluck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭aare

Katie, to my certain knowledge it is the old Robert the Bruce story:

Try, try and try again...

I give you my personal assurance that it seems not a month passes without an acquaintance getting DCA and/or carers awarded on appeal.

I am no expert but it seems you need to document EVERYTHING you need to do for your son that is beyond the normal duty of a parent, you also need as much medical evidence as you can get to support these needs, as well as in support of the existence of his various conditions.

Also document all the therapies he needs, and how many appointments you have to attend with him.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Katie10

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. Am currently writing up my appeal letter. But I have heard from others it will be 15 or 16 months before my appeal is heard.

Don't be too discouraged, what I hear seems to suggest more like 6-8 months...

But better to brace for a longer wait just in case...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Hello,

Apologies for dragging up an old thread. We have been told that my son will need to attend early intervention services for the next 18 months. We have not yet got a diagnosis but feel that we need to avail of state benefits in order to support and ensure that he has the best of medical services available to him. We are on a low income. I have the form for the DCA in front of me and also the carers allowance as my partner cannot work.

Can anyone who has gone through this process please give me some advice etc?

Anything at all would be great.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭nowyouresix

OP: I brought my child with me to the interview for the D.C.A. He has severe autism, and made a total mess of the office....and I sat there and let him. My application was successful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭nowyouresix

Smelly Sock... where to start...firstly you NEED the diagnosis on paper before you can get anything. Your public health nurse should have the numbers of the early intervention team in your area. If you can not get your child in to a suitable preschool, then you may qualify for home tuition for your child. I'm sorry I have to tell you that there are rafts of paperwork in front of you.....I found the dept of education very difficult to deal with re the home tuition payments.
    There is lots of advice on the irish autism action website.

Best of luck.

OP: I brought my child with me to the interview for the D.C.A. He has severe autism, and made a total mess of the office....and I sat there and let him. My application was successful.

This is not unusual.

;)

Thanks very much for the replies. He will be starting in the early intervention in Jan 2012. I'm of the thinking that intervention is better than cure so we should be entitled to help now. Rather than having to wait until we get the diagnosis. If we get the all clear I would contact welfare myself and have them stop the payment. I have the dca form and have an assesment report (filled out by a psychcologist) stating exactly what treatments he will be undergoing in the 18 months to help him over come his difficulties.

Can I ask what age your child is?

• Advertisement

Thanks very much for the replies. He will be starting in the early intervention in Jan 2012. I'm of the thinking that intervention is better than cure so we should be entitled to help now. Rather than having to wait until we get the diagnosis. If we get the all clear I would contact welfare myself and have them stop the payment. I have the dca form and have an assesment report (filled out by a psychcologist) stating exactly what treatments he will be undergoing in the 18 months to help him over come his difficulties.

Same old stupid cycle...I actually have a friend caught in a similar trap, now a bit late along the road...dragging up your initial post:
    We have been told that my son will need to attend early intervention services for the next 18 months. We have not yet got a diagnosis.

If, instead, you had been told that your son needed to attend the local hospital to have his appendix removed you would get the diagnosis and the assessment together (hopefully still fairly immediately) so that treatment could proceed asap, with whatever costs you were entitled to born by the state.

...and would be a good strategy to apply to ASDs, because it rolls together the cost of needs assessment in with the cost of multidisciplinary assessment (the standard for Autism diagnosis for a child and seems to cost €1800+ ) and gets it all as thoroughly defined and identified as possible, once and for all, as soon as possible. For some obscure reason it doesn't seem to happen this way.

However, you do not get DCA for Autism, you don't even get it topay for early intervantions, you get it for ( http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Publications/sw127/Pages/1WhatisDomiciliaryCareAllowance.aspx ):

a severely disabled child who is under age 16 and needs full-time care and attention far beyond what is normally required by a child of the same age.

That is what you need to establish, no more, no less, to get DCA.

Good Luck

PS. Try getting in touch with these guys http://www.specialneedsparents.ie, they can give you loads of information and advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Jasssss

Hi can someone who has been down the road of applying for DCA please help.I applied a year and a half ago and got turned down because of lack of medical evidence.I appealed and was also turned down.I am about to do this all over again.I have phychologist report,OT report,phychiatrist report and letter of support requesting the Domiciliary allowance from phychiatrist and another letter requesting Domiciliary for my son from my GP. Can someone tell me is this enough medical evidence or what in gods name are these people looking for.

I think it COULD be a lack of medical evidence that SPECIFICALLY relates to the reasons why DCA would be appropriate?

My sons phychatrist has done up a letter as well as his report requesting that my son be awarded the DCA and his reasons why.My GP has done the same .Do you think this along with all the reports will be enough. Thanks in advance.

It should be...all you can do is make sure the letters all relate to establishing the conditions of DCA as they are written.

There are no guarantees I am afraid.

Tks poster for your reply.I now have a top doctor telling me that there is no reason why my child should be refused but I wonder at this stage is this a doctor looking at this or a senior civil servant.But sure hey I can only try again.I will keep this forum posted on how i get on.

Hello.

I have eventually got a letter from the HSE saying that under the disablities act my child has a disability. However we still have not been told or he has not been diagnosed with a specific disability. However we had a meeting with a private phsycologist who has pretty much told us between the lines that he may have autism or another intellectual disability.

Hopefully with all the reports and this letter from the HSE it will be enough to get what he's entitled to. Will be sending the form in next week. I have also done out a diary type document. This shows the extra attention he needs during the day. Fingers crossed.

Smellysocks, I wish you all the best with your application.This letter you got from the HSE Has to be a good thing.I applied back in 09/2010 for this and I was refused.I appealed and I was refused. I spent months looking at where my application might have went wrong.I rang support groups all over Ireland to get as much information as i could. This is the story. You will need as much medical evidence as possible that states that your child not only has a disability but that they need care and attention above that of a child of the same age.These reports and letters have to nearly tell these people in the Dept that.Its not about the disability as far as they are concerned its the care that you have to give to this child.My advice is torment everyone that you have seen to write these letters.I paid out thousands to professionals over the years for my child and I am now going back to them for letters as I am about to apply again.Can anyone tell me what the waiting time is at the moment.

Jasssss wrote: »
    Smellysocks, I wish you all the best with your application.This letter you got from the HSE Has to be a good thing.I applied back in 09/2010 for this and I was refused.I appealed and I was refused. I spent months looking at where my application might have went wrong.I rang support groups all over Ireland to get as much information as i could. This is the story. You will need as much medical evidence as possible that states that your child not only has a disability but that they need care and attention above that of a child of the same age.These reports and letters have to nearly tell these people in the Dept that.Its not about the disability as far as they are concerned its the care that you have to give to this child.My advice is torment everyone that you have seen to write these letters.I paid out thousands to professionals over the years for my child and I am now going back to them for letters as I am about to apply again.Can anyone tell me what the waiting time is at the moment.

I don't have a clue what the waiting time is at the moment tbh. I presume they issue you with an case number though and you can trace it with this. This country is an absolute disgrace though when it comes to getting financial support for children with disabilities. I love the stipulation " A child with a disability so severe that they need more attention and care than a child of the same age".

Of course a child with a disability needs a hell of a lot more attention and care than a child without a disability of the same age. It's common sense for crying out loud!!

I have an assesment of need report stating that my child will be brought in for early intervention. I have been told by a couple of private psychologists that my child probably has autism and sensory proccessing disorder but I will have to have that assesment done. ( Could be talking 1800 euro.)

The HSE sent out a letter stating that under the disability act my child has a disibility.

I have no letter from any medical professional stating that my child needs extra care and attention. I'm thinking of leaving these until the appeal stage?

Smellysocks you would imagine this would be enough but I just dont know what in gods name is going on..I remember talking to another parent at a workshop that i attend with my child and she seemed very well informed on her rights.She told me that she was granted DCA because her son had got the same letter as you from the HSE.Let us know how you get on and I will also get back on when i hear something.

• Advertisement

Jasssss wrote: »
    Smellysocks you would imagine this would be enough but I just dont know what in gods name is going on..I remember talking to another parent at a workshop that i attend with my child and she seemed very well informed on her rights.She told me that she was granted DCA because her son had got the same letter as you from the HSE.Let us know how you get on and I will also get back on when i hear something.

No problem.

Hopefully I will be in touch sooner rather than later. I presumed that the letter from the HSE stating that my child has a disibility under the disibility act was standard after an assesment of need? Can anyone tell me if this is correct?

Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ledser9

I only joined boards this morning while looking for information on domiciliary appeals this thread appeared thank god ! While i know now i have a big fight on my hands to get this, i have at least got some great info now of what letters and what way to approach my appeal. My son has autism but i was told as many others from this thread he does not qualify, its very hard to take someone telling you this who does not see the care he needs daily. Thanks to all posters its being a big help to get this information, hope everyone will be successfully with their appeals. Will let you know how i get on.

ledser9 wrote: »
    I only joined boards this morning while looking for information on domiciliary appeals this thread appeared thank god ! While i know now i have a big fight on my hands to get this, i have at least got some great info now of what letters and what way to approach my appeal. My son has autism but i was told as many others from this thread he does not qualify, its very hard to take someone telling you this who does not see the care he needs daily. Thanks to all posters its being a big help to get this information, hope everyone will be successfully with their appeals. Will let you know how i get on.

Hi Ledser. It's a shocking state of affairs in this country. The way they treat kids like ours with these difficulties is criminal. But I'll tell you now that if your son has autism HE DOES qualify for this payment. I am going through the proccess now.

What you need to do is take a bad day and make it ten times worse. Write everything down and compile a huge report.

The stipulation is " A disability so severe that your child requires substantially more care and attention than a child of the same age".

If he is autistic it is a given that he will require substantially more care and attnetion.

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT for what your child is entitled to. Sorry for any spelling mistakes. Bit of a rant!!

ledser9 wrote: »

You should also be entitled to the incapacitated child tax credit. Google it. Get a letter from your GP with the diagnosis in it. It's not a huge amount but every little help when it comes to gettin the best treatment for your youngin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 lucyjoc

hi there, the waiting list for appeals is 18mths at the mo, i sent in appeal in Oct after been refused on review and rang them during the week to see how things were coming along and thats what the man on the phone told me. The trick is to get your TD involved as soon as you get refused and get him to intervene during the review process and before it gets to the appeal officer. They're also reviewing on a yearly basis from now on and it will only take a few weeks to do the review if you request it yourself, if you wait for them to review you then the process can take months and if you get refused then you have to go through the appeals process and you're dca and carer's allowance is stopped while all this is going on!! Its ridiculous!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 LozAnn

Hi I'm new to this, I was looking for advice on DCA but I'm at the other end of the road-my son was 16 last week and is now too old for DCA apparently. He has been getting DCA since he was 4. I rang Citizen's Information today to find out if I can apply for Disability Allowance for him while he is still at school. I was told that the age limit for DCA has changed to 18. Not having heard anything from the DCA crowd I rang them, I was told that although it had been mentioned in the budget the age limit had not actually been changed yet and it was a 'bit of a foggy area'. So I am still none the wiser as to whether he is still eligible for DCA or if he can claim Disability Allowance when he is still at school....Again this country is a joke when it comes to getting anything for disabled children.
    Does anyone know if I can claim Disability Allowance for him while he is still in school?

I applied for the DCA last week on the basis my son has severe global developmental delays. The doctor doesn't think there will be a problem with getting it. I included the reports and akso the letter from the HSE stating that he has a disibility. I also compiled a diary style letter on how bad a day is.

Anyone got anymore info on how long the waiting lists are currently at?

Smellysocks.I was finally granted it.It took four weeks to process.I wish you all the best.I know how hard it is.

Well done jass. Delighted for you. Can you tell me what exactly you put in the application? (reports etc) PM if needs be.

Was that four weeks from the first applicatiion you sent in?

thanks

• Advertisement

Smellysocks,it took exactly four weeks from the day I applied.I have heard people say that they where waiting weeks but not in my case.I sent in all my child's medical reports and application form that I and our Doc filled in.Smellysocks,the section that the Doctor fills in is very important i.e the section that request's the Doctor to tick how severe your child's condition is i.e mild,moderate,severe and profound etc.Mine ticked severe and profound which is exactly the problems my child's difficulties are.Can you remember what your Doctor ticked for these boxes.

Advertisement