Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Dearly departed....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I loved him in "Jeffrey Bernard is Unwell". He plays the part of an real life alcoholic journalist who frequently failed to show up for work and his column would just have the title phrase printed.
    If ever an actor was right for a part it was Peter playing the drunken wordsmith Jeffrey Bernard.

Loitering with intent. :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Wonderful! Did the actress actually come in too early at 0:50 or was it actually in the script, do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

O'Toole once admitted he went out for a drink in Paris..... and woke up a couple of days later in Corsica

legendary!

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Wonderful! Did the actress actually come in too early at 0:50 or was it actually in the script, do you know?
    Scripted - to the best of my knowledge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

OldGoat wrote: »
    I loved him in "Jeffrey Bernard is Unwell". He plays the part of an real life alcoholic journalist who frequently failed to show up for work and his column would just have the title phrase printed.
    If ever an actor was right for a part it was Peter playing the drunken wordsmith Jeffrey Bernard.

Loitering with intent. :)

Oh! I so loved this - I was actually there the night it was filmed! I saw it twice and bought the video (not dvd, notice!).

I loved that man so much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

One of the real broadcasting greats, David Coleman, has passed away aged 87.

To me he is one of the iconic figures of sports in the sixties and seventies.

Presenter of Grandstand, numerous World Cups and FA cup finals, he was the voice of sport on BBC for 40 years.

We used to score goals in the backyard while doing his trademark .."..Lorimer...one-nil"

He could be tetchy as well, here's the famous youtube clip of him sounding off

That was a shocking piece of prima donna-ism there. Anyway we were sorry to hear of his passing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

sad to think there will be no more Colemanballs aired on the tv. RIP DAvid you were not perfect but you were ideal for the job you had.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CUCINA

0k, he wasn't the nicest man in the world, but I remember as a kid being fascinated, in an innocent way, by his story. I was into adventure books at the time but his story was for real, not fiction. So I suppose I had a sneaking regard for him down through the years.
    Despite the efforts of Scotland yard, and Jack Slipper in particular, he managed to avoid extradition to the U.K. Even when he was kidnapped and dragged on a boat by a group of people hoping to obtain financial reward, the boat broke down and between the jigs and the reels, he ended up back safely in Brazil.
    But the lesson for all of us. I suppose. is that eventually he would be caught by the Grim Reaper, there's no escaping from him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

John Fortune has died at 74.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Fortune

Here he is in one of the best sketches from Bremner, Bird and Fortune. One of the best disections of the credit crunch/meltdown,Fortune on the right for those who could never remember who was who :)

• Advertisement

Phil Everly has died age 74, some great music with his brother

RIP

BBDBB wrote: »
    Phil Everly has died age 74, some great music with his brother

RIP

Bye Bye Love! Sorry to hear Phil has gone. Have been a lifetime fan of their songs and lovely harmonies.

Just heard that Eusebio has died of cardiac arrest, aged 71. Yes, even though I was a girl I did see him play on the telly many times even though I only had eyes for Bobby Moore.

Eusebio was a hero of mine I saw him play at Goodison Park in 1966 when he scored four times against Korea. A gentle man and a gentleman of the game.

Roger Lloyd Pack who played Trigger in Only Fools & Horses has died aged 69

very sad, for a small role his character was a delight in that show

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

That is very sad. He was brilliant as Trigger. Loved 'alright Dave' greeting:)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,581 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Richard Bull passed away last week, aged 89years.
    He played Nels Oleson in Little House On The Prairie.
    Always liked his character,thought he and Mrs Oleson were a great comedy duo.

Used to love 'Little House' and I remember him well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Clarissa Dickson Wright has passed on, didn't realise she was only 66. Loved her cooking style, full fat everything and none of this washing your hands malarkey after touching different ingredients. Both 'Fat Ladies' gone now:(

• Advertisement

Clarissa was a firm favourite of mine. No nonsense cook, very convivial over a glass of post (by all accounts) and a true stalwart of the countryside movement.

She was equally jolly with a bottle of port!! ;)(am still running OG)

Actress Kate O'Mara has died aged 74 after a short illness RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Meant to put this here earlier, Sam McAughtry died aged 91 yrs on 28th March. Rarely saw him on TV but loved to listen to him on radio, also his short stories on Sunday Miscellany on RTE radio1. Could listen to him for hours.

And although not strictly for O & O's but sad to hear of Peaches Geldof's death. My heart breaks for Bob Geldof and the Geldof family who have had to go through so many bereavements in a short time.

Poor Bob Hoskins is gone, (71). Big respect for a great actor!

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Poor Bob Hoskins is gone, (71). Big respect for a great actor!

He was great in the Long Good Friday.

Am I obsessed with the obits? Just found out Efram Zimbalist Jnr died aged 96. The man just never stopped working!!

I remember him in 77 Sunset Strip

• Advertisement

Not everyones cup of tea but a firm favourite of mine: HR Giger.
    http://www.hrgiger.com/

Gigers surreal and macabre work is fascinating. Equally delicious and deplorable :) The film series "Aliens" would never have worked without his incredible input.

kookoo-10.jpg
    (Difficult to find any Giger images that are safe for work.:) )

Advertisement