Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Dearly departed....

Options
1161718192022»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

And so 2021 starts to take its toll :(

Katharine Whitehorn.

Cant do a long post as the yoke I'm posting with us fierce contrary ( or maybe its the 'added value' from the Boards techs ? ) so will just leave :

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2021/jan/10/katharine-whitehorn-obituary

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Christopher Plummer, who played Georg von Trapp in the Sound of Music, died today aged 91

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

looksee wrote: »
    Not to mention Gay Byrne, Marian Finucane and Larry Gogan. As presenters do they count as cultural icons?
    Add Keelin Shanley to that list, one year gone but not forgotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

Ned Beatty passed away recently. Feels like he was on screen forever!

• Advertisement

And Mike Nesmith left us too. I was a big fan of the Monkees in my teens.

Sidney Poitier has departed at the great age of 94. Reminds me of that Only Fools & Horses conversation between Rodney and Granddad!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 33,867 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

He already had a fortune because his mam invented the American version of Tippex 😀

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

I'd forgotten about that. I'd heard about it quite a while back. Clever people, the Nesmiths!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 chattering

Singer Meat Loaf died 21 January 2022

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

Barry Cryer has dies aged 86.

If you've listened to radio comedy on the BBC you'll know he was a giant in the field. He was a writer for TV comedies such as the Two Ronnies and Morecambe and Wise. Probably his longest association was with I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue, the antidote to quiz games.

And now we've lost Nurse Gladys Emmanuel. Lynda Baron passed away on 7th March, 82 yrs. She'll be chased from cloud to cloud by Arkwright in that great corner shop in the sky!!

Peter Bowles, the Irish RM, left us due to Cancer aged 85. Always debonair, and also great fun in Rising Damp!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

I really like Peter Bowles as an actor.

He may have been debonair, and looked a bit of a cad, but I always remember parts where he played up the pathos.

He had a big part in Rumpole of the Bailey as Guthrie Featherstone and you can currently rewatch that superb series on Talking Pictures TV

We used to watch Rumpole years ago, I must chase that up on Talking Pictures TV, I'm sure we have that channel.

Names we remember from years ago, and when we heard they had passed we said either, 'Ah no, really?' or 'didn't know he/she was still alive'. Funny what comes into your mind? We've lost these among many others in recent months. I don't get depressed, it's just memories and nostalgia.

Nichelle Nichols, 80 (Lt. Uhura, Star Trek)

Terry Neill, 80 (Footballer)

David Moores, 76 (Arsenal Chairman)

Bernard Cribbons, 93 (actor)

Robert Hoffman, 82 (pretty boy from The Adventures of Robinson Crusoe)

David Warner, 80 (actor)

Paddy Hopkirk, 89 (racing driver)

Barbara Thompson 77 (musician, composed theme for A Touch of Frost)

Brian Jackson, 91 (actor and The Man from Del Monte)

Monty Norman, 94 (composed the theme for James Bond)

James Caan, 82 (great actor)

Margaret Keane, 94 (artist, painted the ‘Big Eyes’ paintings of children) (sad documentary on her life)

Frank Williams, 91 (vicar in Dad’s Army)

Hilary Devey, 65 (from Dragon’s Den)

Matt Zimmerman, 87 (actor, voice of Alan Tracy in Thunderbirds)

Billy Bingham, 90 (footballer and manager)

Ray Liotta, 67 (actor, Goodfellas)

Bruce Kent, 92 (priest, and leader of the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament)

Eric Chappel, 88 (creator of Rising Damp)

Dennis Waterman, 74 (actor, singer))

Con Cluskey, 86  (singer with The Bachelors)

David McKee, 87, (creator of the cartoon Mr Benn)

Bobby Rydell, 79 (another pretty boy, great singer from 50’s/60’s to the present, remember ‘Volare’?)

Tom Owen (73) - Last of the Summer Wine

Leslie Phillips (98) -'Ding Dong!'

Oooooh...I saaaay 😁

Got him mixed up with Terry Thomas in another RIP thread, I think in the TV forum - and Owen, wasn't he the actual son of the other Owen from Last of the Summer Wine?

Too soon Shirley.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Yes, son of Bill Owen who was Compo

Thanks, yes, Compo ...& Nora Batty ...and all of that... I know what I know but expressing it sometimes creates an issue for me, without recourse to mr. google.

You're in a safe place here Plenty!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Advertisement