Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Podcasts for the car (Radio is sh1te)

• 29-03-2011 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭

Hope this is the right forum. Was on today fm looking for Sam Smyth podcasts, not available for d/l anymore. (copyright issues)

Anyway, any other decent podcasts? Think I found some plays acted out available in audio. Want to try this out as a change from music all the time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Hope this is the right forum. Was on today fm looking for Sam Smyth podcasts, not available for d/l anymore. (copyright issues)

Anyway, any other decent podcasts? Think I found some plays acted out available in audio. Want to try this out as a change from music all the time.
    Is this the Today FM Sunday Supplement Podcast?
    If yes, then they are still available here:
    http://audiostore.todayfm.com/rss/sundaysupplement.xml

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

The Ricky Gervais One (mostly available on iTunes, everything available on his forum)
    Adam & Joe (Same situation as Ricky Gervais re: availability)

-I also recommend downloading their XFM shows from the forum. Decent audio quality, but amazing funny stuff. Agin, it's all legal. Just hosted on their fan-forums.

Otherwise:
    -The Complete Guide to Everything. (two VERY funny Americans try and out-do Wikipedia. While getting progressively more drunk as the show goes on.)

-Dave Gorman (a little twee sometimes, but some great segments on it.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

This American Life, such a good show, I have been hooked for nearly three years now, if you have an iPhone you can download the app which means hundreds of hours worth of listening. Couldn't recommend it more high.

The stuff podcasts from howstuffworks.com loads of interesting stuff on there a good few to chose from so you can decided what ones to get to suit your interests. Stuff you missed in History class is my favorite.

Finally CNET's The 404, three young guys talk for half an hour about pop culture. Since it's CNET there is a bit of tech in there but nothing too heavy. It's a really good laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 swabby

The Joe Rogan Experience!!! Best by far, free on itunes!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

swabby wrote: »
    If you aren't 100000% pro-weed lectures every 10 minutes this may not be for you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 swabby

If you aren't 100000% pro-weed lectures every 10 minutes this may not be for you

I know a lot of people who don't smoke and still love the joe rogan podcast!! Whats not too like??? its stoned comedians talking about funny ****!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Super Freak

Listened to this for the first time this week. Episode 153 with Joey Diaz.
    :D:D:D:D
    Thanks for the recommendation !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Phill and Phil's perfect ten is the best podcast I've come across. Hilarious! It's not for you though if you don't like hearing the C word :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Dymo

watna wrote: »
    Phill and Phil's perfect ten is the best podcast I've come across. Hilarious! It's not for you though if you don't like hearing the C word :)

Listened to the latest podcast, very funny. Thanks for the heads up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Dymo wrote: »
    Listened to the latest podcast, very funny. Thanks for the heads up!

You're welcome, it's one of only two podcasts that actually makes me laugh out loud. :)

The other is Helen and Olly Answer Me This which I highly recommend. They have 190 or so episodes too so you can get them all in one go and have stuff to listen to for weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,552 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Would recommend virtually any podcast over listening to drivetime radio - with all the ad breaks, traffic, news, sports, competitions etc the actual amount of content the listener gets is minimal.

You really can't go wrong with 'This American Life' but there are 1,000's of choices out there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Damn, I was hoping to be the 1st to recommend the JRE.

Instead I'll recommend the Glory Hole podcast. It can be hit and miss at times, but mostly hit

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭muff03

You should check out We're Alive, only podcast I'm subscribed to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

I have to agree with the Joe Rogan Experience. Number 139 with Duncan Trussell is brilliant. :D:cool:

I have the obvious Ricky Gervais podcasts too. I think Merchant is the funniest of the three of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 tadhg11

I find the newstalk podcasts excellent,depending on your interests :futureproof (science)
    Talking history
    Food with paolo
    Off the ball (sports)
    all free with itunes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Talking history
    twit.tv

• Registered Users Posts: 46 funkee

I'm new to boards but I really like it.

Anyway, I'm a podcast junkie.

Every night for the past five years I've podcasted, so I'll recommend my favorites.

This comes with the previso that my interests are in politics and left field subjects so this won't be for everyone..

Number 1. Coast to Coast AM. 10th most listened to radio station in the US but broadcasts 10pm - 2am. The other nine broadcast in the morning Pat Kenny time. A different topic every night - anything from Near Death Experiences to Secret Space research to Stargates to JFK Assassination to Father Malachi Martin.. if you have never heard of the latter check him out. I reckon he's the most accomplished Irishman of the past century that nobody in Ireland has ever heard of.

Number 2. Red Ice Radio. Similar to above but broadcast from Sweden. Host is the best interviewer I've ever heard on radio and the most knowledgeable.

Number 3. This American Life. NPR is just so easy to listen to. Best production values in radio I think.

Out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,645 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

funkee wrote: »
    Welcome to boards, funkee!
    Number 3. This American Life. NPR is just so easy to listen to. Best production values in radio I think.
    Have to agree with this. As I said in another thread, I started listening to this a while back and I think it's fantastic.

I honestly couldn't wait a week to listen to more of them and was disappointed when I realised that older shows weren't available on itunes. I still managed to source a large chunk of the back catalogue, though and am slowly making my way through it.

So many interesting stories. If you haven't listened to it, you are really missing out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I've recently discovered The Age of Persuasion. It's a factual, insightful, well-researched and humourous look at the advertising industry over the last 150 years and how it has shaped and influenced our thinking.
    I learned that heroin was marketed by Bayer in the late 1800s as an over the counter pain reliever just like paracetamol is today and marketed as a non-addictive morphine substitute...

Freely available from CBC and itunes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Anyway, I'm a podcast junkie.

Every night for the past five years I've podcasted, so I'll recommend my favorites.

This comes with the previso that my interests are in politics and left field subjects so this won't be for everyone..

Number 1. Coast to Coast AM. 10th most listened to radio station in the US but broadcasts 10pm - 2am. The other nine broadcast in the morning Pat Kenny time. A different topic every night - anything from Near Death Experiences to Secret Space research to Stargates to JFK Assassination to Father Malachi Martin.. if you have never heard of the latter check him out. I reckon he's the most accomplished Irishman of the past century that nobody in Ireland has ever heard of.
    Nothing without Art Bell. George Noory has destroyed the show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Legend_DIT

Some podcastsI enjoy that haven't yet been mentioned.

WNYC's Radiolab - a cool show that covers a variety of different science topics but is completely accessible as it does so through excellent storytelling and very unique editing

The Pod Delusion - A podcast that looks at topical news events, mostly from a skeptical standpoint.

Freakonimics Radio - highlighting the hidden economics in everyday situations. This is genuinely fascinating stuff, I have often had to pause it to tell my fiancée "Hey did you know that...?"

Frank Skinner and Dave Gorman (Both Absolute Radio Podcasts of their weekend shows)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Mark Tapley

The Infinite Monkey Cage - Witty, irreverent look at the world according to science with physicist Brian Cox and comedian Robin Ince.

Escape Pod - Science Fiction Stories

Starship Sofa - Sci-Fi Podcast

Click - How digital technology affects our lives around the world.

A History of the World in 100 Objects

Tech Weekly -The Guardian's tech team with news and discussion from the digital worlds of technology, gaming and the web

SFBRP - Science Fiction Book Review Podcast

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

would never have known about This American Life until this forum, thanks to those you suggested it!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,764 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Legend_DIT wrote: »
    WNYC's Radiolab - a cool show that covers a variety of different science topics but is completely accessible as it does so through excellent storytelling and very unique editing

Couldn't recommend this enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Snow Crash

evil_seed wrote: »
    Damn, I was hoping to be the 1st to recommend the JRE.

Instead I'll recommend the Glory Hole podcast. It can be hit and miss at times, but mostly hit

You Know What Dude with comedian Bob Kelly is my favourite podcast at the moment. I still have yet to try the Glory Hole podcast...probably because of it's name...eeew. I'm glad Bobby Kelly made him change the networks name from that to RIOTCAST.

More awesome comedians who have podcasts...

Bill Burr

Jay Mohr

Jim Jefferies and Eddie Ifft

...and if you prefer a longer comedy radio show with celebrity interviews and whatnot theres the hilarious The Opie & Anthony Show with Little Jimmy Norton(beware ...the humor can be quite harsh and mean spirited at times, so if your easily offended then don't listen)

They will often have some of the worlds best comedians(Louis C.K., Joe Rogan, Dave Attell, Patton Oswalt etc...) sit in for the whole 4+ hours of the show and just hang with them.

Giant Bombcast - Podcast about Videogames

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Out.
    Snow Crash wrote: »
    ...and if you prefer a longer comedy radio show with celebrity interviews and whatnot theres the hilarious The Opie & Anthony Show with Little Jimmy Norton(beware ...the humor can be quite harsh and mean spirited at times, so if your easily offended then don't listen)

They will often have some of the worlds best comedians(Louis C.K., Joe Rogan, Dave Attell, Patton Oswalt etc...) sit in for the whole 4+ hours of the show and just hang with them.

I've listened to CtC and O&A for years, i usually download shows and then listen to them. I'm totally new to podcasts so i'm not sure exactly how they work, can i get C2C and O&A podcasts?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭deem79

The Adam Carolla Show is highly amusing.

I disagree with his views on a lot of things but his rants are top notch

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭deem79

Real Time with Bill Maher is excellent for anyone with even a passing interest in US politics/society. High calibre guests and generally very funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

watna wrote: »

any more like this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 coyotefitzy

My first post on boards.ie!

I would recommend "The News Quiz" from BBC radio 4 available on iTunes. Its a panel show, very funny and is definitely worth a listen.
    "Keith and the girl", seems to be very popular, cant say that its hugely appealing to me, but my friends love it, not for the easily offended.
    And for any science fanatics "The Skeptics guide to the Universe" is a good listen, dealing with all things new in the world of science and skepticism.
    Actually all these are available on iTunes and ZenCast.

Advertisement