Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Membership fees

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭TheFarneyman

Castleknock for 1750 euro is serious offer, played on tue open, best greens iv played on in years, real true putting surface, not actually a member and still a bit steep for me but advise anyone to have a go
    ;

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭twounderpar

Lucan took in 61 new memebers last year at 1600 euro.They seem to have lots of applications this year.They have an easy payment system..pay over 7 months..not sure if this applies to new members.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭golfbgud

Anyone know what the "latest, greatest" news is from Royal Tara GC? Heard a rumor that the entrance fee was "disappearing" but find this hard to believe.......

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭technodub

just seen on the gui website citywest is 500e with no joining fee! im lookin to join somewere cheap not to far from sandyford anybody have any reviews on city west? seems great value but ya know what they say "if it seems to good to be true ....it usually is!"

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Tin_Cup

technodub wrote: »
    just seen on the gui website citywest is 500e with no joining fee! im lookin to join somewere cheap not to far from sandyford anybody have any reviews on city west? seems great value but ya know what they say "if it seems to good to be true ....it usually is!"

Pretty sure that just gives reduced rates on the course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭blackwaterfish

Tin_Cup wrote: »
    Pretty sure that just gives reduced rates on the course.

correct.

full membership is 1100... but you can pay 500 and pay the rest off month by month via direct debit.

Grange castle, up the road, has a similar arrangement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Papasmurfy

Castleknock for 1750 euro is serious offer, played on tue open, best greens iv played on in years, real true putting surface, not actually a member and still a bit steep for me but advise anyone to have a go
    ;

I see they are now doing 5 day membership for €600. Gonna give them a call to see what the story is.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭getoffthepot

AldilaMan wrote: »
    Good to see all your hard work is now being used on the Balcarrick Website :mad: ex Captain Rafferty no doubt :mad:

http://www.balcarrickgolfclub.com/uploadFolder/file/Member%20Subs%2020110117alpha1(1).pdf

http://balcarrickgolfclub.com/uploadFolder/file/

you can view a good number of their club notices, reports etc through this link (taken from the link above)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Misskrbrad

Why did Balcarrick copy it - they must be confident they are best value..?? All that info is a little confusing! Looking into joining a (good value) club in Dublin, pref. north county Dub. Anyone know if any clubs let you have a bit of a trial before paying for full membership or am I gonna have to pay green fees to try? (being bit of a cheapskate but worth a shot I reckon!!) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Misskrbrad wrote: »
    Why did Balcarrick copy it - they must be confident they are best value..?? All that info is a little confusing! Looking into joining a (good value) club in Dublin, pref. north county Dub. Anyone know if any clubs let you have a bit of a trial before paying for full membership or am I gonna have to pay green fees to try? (being bit of a cheapskate but worth a shot I reckon!!) :D

Just about every club will let you try the course for free if you contact them and discuss membership.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Jockey 1

Papasmurfy wrote: »
    I see they are now doing 5 day membership for €600. Gonna give them a call to see what the story is.

Friend if mine joined last Friday. He was a full member of a club in Meath but only played weekdays. The prepaid idea of discounted midweek golf sounds attractive and prepayment can be used for food, drink etc. This type of membership definitely ticks a lot of boxes ...

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Unglika Norse

Jockey 1 wrote: »
    Friend if mine joined last Friday. He was a full member of a club in Meath but only played weekdays. The prepaid idea of discounted midweek golf sounds attractive and prepayment can be used for food, drink etc. This type of membership definitely ticks a lot of boxes ...

Shure arn't you a member yourself ?? joined last november. According to the 5 out of 6 posts youv'e made extolling the values of joining castleknock, shure if we didn't know better one might think you work as the pro for the club :eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭bustercherry

Shure arn't you a member yourself ?? joined last november. According to the 5 out of 6 posts youv'e made extolling the values of joining castleknock, shure if we didn't know better one might think you work as the pro for the club :eek::eek:

ticks fcuk all boxes i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭randomer

I have just taken up the 5 day membership offer at Castleknock, although I don't really consider it a traditional 5 day membership. It is more of a prepay plan, and it is exactly what I have been looking for, given that I have only spent a few months in Ireland in the last two years.

Here is how it works:

You pay 600 euro and receive 600 units. Then each time you play you use these units. 15 units for early bird or twilight, and 20 units for other times. You can also play at the weekend, but you pay the standard green fees. You also get to invite three guests at a rate of 25 euro, and you can use your units for this. You can also use your credits to pay for items in the restaurant or pro shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭randomer

On a slightly different note, is it possible to restrict write access to a thread in the golf forum to posters with a minimum post count? This thread, for example, is demeaned and devalued by some of the posters who obviously have vested interests.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Anatom

randomer "On a slightly different note, is it possible to restrict write access to a thread in the golf forum to posters with a minimum post count? This thread, for example, is demeaned and devalued by some of the posters who obviously have vested interests."

It's called Free Speech. Although we might not like the fact that people can come onto this forum and try to use it as an advertising platform, to restrict access to people who don't have enough posts for your liking wouldn't really be fair, in my opinon.

Where would you draw the line? Is 10 posts enough? 100? What about people who've just joined boards.ie?

Unfortunately, unless the Moderator takes them down, we have to put up with it and hopefully expose them (as happened above with Jockey1) as trolls as often as possible...

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Young_gunner

What's anyone's verdict on Beech Park, its €1600 for temporary annual membership - do you'se reckon this is good value?

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

randomer wrote: »
    On a slightly different note, is it possible to restrict write access to a thread in the golf forum to posters with a minimum post count? This thread, for example, is demeaned and devalued by some of the posters who obviously have vested interests.
    It's probably possible but not feasible. Either way, it's not something that moderators have any control or influence over - that would be up to the site admins and developers.
    I thinks there are some controls built in like the (in)ability to have a signature before x number of posts.. not sure if you can post a link immediately on joining either?

There have been a recent crop of muppet advertisers / shillers / sock puppeteers / morons and lately I have tended to issue an instant ban rather than a warning because my tolerance levels and patience levels are weak.

It's a little surprising because when I see someplace engaging in that kind of underhand crap it's a real turn-off. The reason a forum like this is successful is because the word-of-mouth carries some weight. You get to 'know' the poster because they engage and then you can attribute some value to what they say. Johnny-1-idea on the other hand sticks out as noise...

That all said, you have to have a certain amount of 'wait and see' attitude so that this is not not a redneck "we don't take kindly" type of place.

If posts seem to be advertising/promoting on the sly, report them by clicking the "report post" warning triangle thingy... the mods then get notified and can look into it from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

What's anyone's verdict on Beech Park, its €1600 for temporary annual membership - do you'se reckon this is good value?

No, Southcounty up the road is doing it for around 1350.00. They have sent out flyers to a lot of South Dublin by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭patravers

I bought the magnificent seven deal on city deals and its only ok. This offers two for the price of one deals on 7 courses, however the qouted full green fee price is NOT what you can play for these days. I mean you could play the druids glen for €70 last week which is not much of an improvement on the two for one. Perhaps in the summer months it will be better value.

On another note... perhaps people on the west side of dublin or in Naas direction would look at the Heritage in Killenard its currently €1375 for 7 day membership.

Im thinking of taking this offer myself as have recently moved to the area and am taking up golf again.

Does anyone know did the Heritage used to charge hello money as i think this may be introduced again in the future

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Atlantic1

patravers wrote: »
    I bought the magnificent seven deal on city deals and its only ok. This offers two for the price of one deals on 7 courses, however the qouted full green fee price is NOT what you can play for these days. I mean you could play the druids glen for €70 last week which is not much of an improvement on the two for one. Perhaps in the summer months it will be better value.

On another note... perhaps people on the west side of dublin or in Naas direction would look at the Heritage in Killenard its currently €1375 for 7 day membership.

Im thinking of taking this offer myself as have recently moved to the area and am taking up golf again.

Does anyone know did the Heritage used to charge hello money as i think this may be introduced again in the future

The answer is yes. Two friends of mine each paid €25k each to join about 6 years ago. The deal was that, after 5 years, they could resign their membership and get their money back (all of it, I think). Unfortunately for them, everything went belly up and they won't ever again see a penny of their money.

I absolutely love the course. I think the deal you're getting is an excellent one, if you're going to play a lot. Enjoy!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

Was looking at Knockanally for 890 and gonna play it on Sunday.

Anyone think / not think this is a good deal and why? Whats the course like?

Feedback is appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭GetInTheHole!

the lawman wrote: »
    Was looking at Knockanally for 890 and gonna play it on Sunday.

Anyone think / not think this is a good deal and why? Whats the course like?

Feedback is appreciated.

It's a nice well maintained course. Fairly tight in places, but an enjoyable and challenging track.

There was however some speculation over it's financial status in a previous thread here a couple of months back - so you may want to have a look at that also.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 niall147

Company running Knockanaly went bust last year. Course taken over by members. Played it 3 weeks ago and never saw it looking so well. Lovely atmospheric course with the old clubhouse in the centre. E890 seems a pretty competitive price and I would imagine will attract new business.
    N

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

Lawman, I thought Tulfaris was a nailed on cert for you???

thegen wrote: »
    Lawman, I thought Tulfaris was a nailed on cert for you???

Unfortuantely changes to mine and my playing partners fiscal situation have made us downgrade our budget slightly. Tull is still in the running but we've been forced to look at cheaper options.

Nice to know you're keeping an eye on me though......:D

Anyone have any first hand and honest opinions on Woodlands Golf Course in Kildare?

The fee is not bad and the site looks decent. I just won't get to play until next week.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,390 ✭✭✭Trampas

the lawman wrote: »
    Anyone have any first hand and honest opinions on Woodlands Golf Course in Kildare?

The fee is not bad and the site looks decent. I just won't get to play until next week.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

It is ok. Can be a bit soft under foot as it is in bogland area.

There is a club feel to the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Anto12

Lawman, I probably have a biased opinion as I am a memebr there - but I think its a great parkland track - Course itself was soft under foot but over last few years there has been some major drainage work done - greens were hollow cored and sanded about 2 weeks back .. The greens have improved since I joined there & it is a members club .. Guys in the pro shop are dead sound ..

• Advertisement

Anto12 wrote: »
    Lawman, I probably have a biased opinion as I am a memebr there - but I think its a great parkland track - Course itself was soft under foot but over last few years there has been some major drainage work done - greens were hollow cored and sanded about 2 weeks back .. The greens have improved since I joined there & it is a members club .. Guys in the pro shop are dead sound ..

Cheers Anto.

Would you say that the major drainage work has improved things a lot? I'm always worried about a course that is wet can be such an issue coming into Winter.

Advertisement