Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭rob55

Anybody else get severe feelings of depression, anxiety and paranoia during a hangover? :( Honestly never drinking again. Past two days I've been feeling almost suicidal due to all of the emotions that are consuming me.

ya i get that too, it sucks

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭rob55

havent posted on this for a while but feeling very low

stuck at job i hate after doing college for 4 years, got nothing from it. struggle with suicidal thoughts at nights for while. everydays a struggle

want to leave and go to US or canada

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭MickFleetwood

Can't be arsed living (and thats being generous) like this much longer.I have two long ago arranged commitments coming up over the next few weeks and after that I think I'm done.

I always think of the old Doug Stanhope bit when I'm this down,and it keeps on making more and more sense to me:

''Suicide is another thing that's so frowned upon in this society, but honestly, life isn't for everybody. It really isn't. It's sad when kids kill themselves 'cause they didn't really give it a chance, but life is like a movie: if you've sat through more than half of it and it sucked every second so far, it probably isn't gonna get great right at the very end for you and make it all worthwhile. No one should blame you for walking out early.''

The bold segment is honestly a bunch of bullshít to me, sorry. Simply a terrible analogy. I don't believe for one second anybody in this thread has suffered a life which was bad and terrible for every single second, or something close to that.

I do understand some people become severely depressed, or anxious, or whatever. But at the end of the day life is worth living. Just have some hope and try to change it if it's that bad rather than off yourself, y'know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

Think it's refreshingly honest myself,only so much of the ''things will magically get better/life is worth living'' spiel I can take.

I've been hearing that stuff for the last 15 years and it's simply not true,for me anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

The bold segment is honestly a bunch of bullshít to me, sorry. Simply a terrible analogy. I don't believe for one second anybody in this thread has suffered a life which was bad and terrible for every single second, or something close to that.

I do understand some people become severely depressed, or anxious, or whatever. But at the end of the day life is worth living. Just have some hope and try to change it if it's that bad rather than off yourself, y'know?

You can't possibly know that though. Nor is it relevant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

Wait wait, you're the same poster who felt borderline suicidal because of a hangover, but yet call that other post bull****?

If all you can say is "have hope and change stuff for the better", then sorry, but no you really DON'T understand how people become severely depressed or anxious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

You've clearly never been truely suicidal. Life ceases to exist, never mind it being worth living.

Very insensitive post IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭dar926

Pull Your Self together... What have you got to Depressed about...Do you want to get better?...Change your attitude....Stop focusing on the bad stuff, and just start living....You can snap out of it. Everyone feels this way sometimes....Why can’t you work?...There are a lot of people worse off than you...You have so many things to be thankful for, how can you be depressed....You’d feel better if you got off all those pills....What doesn’t kill us makes us stronger....Go out and have some fun...o you’re depressed, aren’t you always...This too shall pass...We all have our crosses to bear

Is there anything else you want to add MickFleetwood?

Wait wait, you're the same poster who felt borderline suicidal because of a hangover, but yet call that other post bull****?

If all you can say is "have hope and change stuff for the better", then sorry, but no you really DON'T understand how people become severely depressed or anxious.

Yes, I felt suicidal. Yes, I'm calling that bullshít, can you not read? I'm not saying that things will magically get better FFS, just that saying because your life is bad insofar doesn't mean that "like a movie" (:rolleyes:) it's going to be shítty forever. If you're feeling depressed, at least make an attempt at helping yourself before you decide to hang yourself from a tree.

Also, by the way, please don't patronize me and tell me I don't understand how people become severely depressed or anxious. I have been diagnosed with anxiety disorders, depression, and I'm going in to my therapist soon because I believe I have an extreme mood/personality disorder. I just don't agree with that particular post, is all.

dar926 wrote: »
    Pull Your Self together... What have you got to Depressed about...Do you want to get better?...Change your attitude....Stop focusing on the bad stuff, and just start living....You can snap out of it. Everyone feels this way sometimes....Why can’t you work?...There are a lot of people worse off than you...You have so many things to be thankful for, how can you be depressed....You’d feel better if you got off all those pills....What doesn’t kill us makes us stronger....Go out and have some fun...o you’re depressed, aren’t you always...This too shall pass...We all have our crosses to bear

Is there anything else you want to add MickFleetwood?

Right then, I'm sorry if I offended you all by criticizing something I didn't agree with and suggested you actually help yourself rather than wallowing in constant self-pity. All I did was tell people to try and help themselves as opposed to committing suicide.

This thread obviously isn't for me. Bye.

• Advertisement

Difference of opinions, yes. But suicidal thoughts and suicidal intentions are subjective. Put it to you this way, and this isn't meant to be critical, when I was last suicidal I could not eat, I could not sleep, I was stuck to the bed trying to figure out ways to kill myself, and then trying to talk myself out of it. I couldn't talk to friends, family, nobody. No doctor, no therapist, nobody could drag me out of that hole. There was nothing to live for. Nothing. It was empty. I felt nothing.

It's not as simple as snapping out of it, or deciding to get better, or "trying to help themselves" - it's so consuming that there is nothing beyond those thoughts. That's all people are trying to say.

Stick around - it gets better.

Hersheys wrote: »
    Difference of opinions, yes. But suicidal thoughts and suicidal intentions are subjective. Put it to you this way, and this isn't meant to be critical, when I was last suicidal I could not eat, I could not sleep, I was stuck to the bed trying to figure out ways to kill myself, and then trying to talk myself out of it. I couldn't talk to friends, family, nobody. No doctor, no therapist, nobody could drag me out of that hole. There was nothing to live for. Nothing. It was empty. I felt nothing.

It's not as simple as snapping out of it, or deciding to get better, or "trying to help themselves" - it's so consuming that there is nothing beyond those thoughts. That's all people are trying to say.

Stick around - it gets better.

I know the period of not being able to eat, sleep or get up out of bed very well. It is absolutely terrible, yes. I understand how it feels and how consuming it is, but people's lives will not forever be a depressive black-hole of misery.

YOUR life changed, that doesn't mean that everyones can. That's all people are saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Maybe everyone feels differently? Arguing over such things that are as subjective as this will get us nowhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭shy_boy

Aahhh im bet on my family all of them know im struggling and none help me im just bet on the lot of them now... Its all take and no give with them

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Pro crastinator

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

What a week or two. I'm pretty sure i may have smiled along the way but it's been fairly miserable to be honest.. Two very goo friends about to leave the country and work has taken a nasty turn morale wise too. It always happens together of course.. Just head down and plough on..

Hope Everyone was at least able to make it out to the sun if it's your thing.

You're all taking what I'm saying completely out of context. I'm not telling anybody to get over it, just that killing yourself is not the best option.

Would it have been more suitable if I said that, yes, if your life has been predominantly bad so far you should just top yourself because it probably won't get better?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

You're all taking what I'm saying completely out of context. I'm not telling anybody to get over it, just that killing yourself is not the best option.

Would it have been more suitable if I said that, yes, if your life has been predominantly bad so far you should just top yourself because it probably won't get better?

I'd say the trigger was the use of the word bulls**t, there are people who post here just to have an anonymous rant - and when times are relatively unbearable it's comforting to know someone is reading their post who is better and some who are worse.

Now can we get back to normal service peoples? Peaceful ramblings etc. :pac:

I'd say the trigger was the use of the word bulls**t, there are people who post here just to have an anonymous rant - and when times are relatively unbearable it's comforting to know someone is reading their post who is better and some who are worse.

Now can we get back to normal service peoples? Peaceful ramblings etc. :pac:

Perhaps. I genuinely didn't mean to offend anybody with what I said, nor do I understand how anybody could. It's as if I told him to get over being depressed. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I don't want to derail the thread. I feel slightly better today, still suffering from constant mood swings.

• Advertisement

Perhaps. I genuinely didn't mean to offend anybody with what I said, nor do I understand how anybody could. It's as if I told him to get over being depressed. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I don't want to derail the thread. I feel slightly better today, still suffering from constant mood swings.

I'd say all is well so.. I know i can be a bit hypersensitive when i'm here so at times read too much into stern talk kind of..

Mood swings are a headf**k alright, they are probably the biggest part of my battle/problem/whatever..

Have hit a bit of a low.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Think it's refreshingly honest myself,only so much of the ''things will magically get better/life is worth living'' spiel I can take.

I've been hearing that stuff for the last 15 years and it's simply not true,for me anyways.

Well, I'd agree with half of that, disagree with the other half.

In my experience, things certainly don't get magically better. My life has improved enormously through CBT, but it was bloody hard work and took 2 years to do it. I didn't have any faith whatsoever in therapy beforehand - because I knew it relied a lot on myself and of course I'm inevitably going to **** it up. But, as it turned out, a lot of things the therapist said at the start eventually came though, I just had 30+ years of negativity built up that was incredibly difficult to let go of.

I'm not 100% ok now, but for the first time in my life, I'm in control. Whenever I get into a situation that typically triggers the anxiety/mood swings, I can now say to myself "ok, there's a tough period coming. Won't last long, I'll come out the other side, like I always have", and the periods of anxiety don't last as long nor are as bad.

I find it very hard to believe that the same couldn't happen for anyone else. I'm not suggesting it's in any way "easy", but that it's possible. When people say "it's not possible" or "I can't get better", they're not stating a fact - that's not something that can be proven. They're stating a view based on a lifetime of difficult, negative experiences. We tend to get stuck in an awful loop where bad experiences affect our confidence and behaviour, and that in turn causes new bad experiences. When life is like that, it's very hard to see a way out. That's why therapy/medication can help, not because it "fixes" us, but because it can help nudge us out of that loop so that we can, over time, start unwinding those built-up years of stress and negativity.

As for "live is worth living", that's very subjective; it depends on your experiences, and your outlook etc. There is no factual answer "the world is great"/"the world is awful". So, given a choice between rose-tinted glasses and (errr..) blue-tinted glasses, I'll take the world view that's happier and more fun any day.

You have to remember, everyone is reading or posting here for a reason. Maybe we're afraid, and looking for support. Or angry at the people around us for letting us down. Or feel isolated and looking to find like-minded people. Or we feel broken, and we want someone to fix us. Or we've had good experiences, and want to help if we can. But we all want things to be better. If we didn't - if all we wanted was to kill ourselves - we'd have done so many years ago. We're all still here because we all still care.

Sorry if this is very long & preachy, but I think it's very important to realise most/all of us here tend to have a very negative outlook (the blue-tinted glasses) and it's not THE way to look at the world, it's just A way of looking at it. And unfortunately it's a very counter-productive and destructive way.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Pro crastinator

who_me wrote: »
    Sorry if this is very long & preachy, but I think it's very important to realise most/all of us here tend to have a very negative outlook (the blue-tinted glasses) and it's not THE way to look at the world, it's just A way of looking at it. And unfortunately it's a very counter-productive and destructive way.

Not at all, your post was well reasoned and totally relateable. Exactly the kind of input we need tbh, as like you say it's hard to take off the doom coloured glasses sometimes. In fact I think mine need to be surgically removed at this stage! But that's why we're all here, deep down even the most resigned of us still wants to be helped. Unfortunately the mental health system in this country fails a lot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

who_me wrote: »
    Well, I'd agree with half of that, disagree with the other half.

In my experience, things certainly don't get magically better. My life has improved enormously through CBT, but it was bloody hard work and took 2 years to do it. I didn't have any faith whatsoever in therapy beforehand - because I knew it relied a lot on myself and of course I'm inevitably going to **** it up. But, as it turned out, a lot of things the therapist said at the start eventually came though, I just had 30+ years of negativity built up that was incredibly difficult to let go of.

I'm not 100% ok now, but for the first time in my life, I'm in control. Whenever I get into a situation that typically triggers the anxiety/mood swings, I can now say to myself "ok, there's a tough period coming. Won't last long, I'll come out the other side, like I always have", and the periods of anxiety don't last as long nor are as bad.

I find it very hard to believe that the same couldn't happen for anyone else. I'm not suggesting it's in any way "easy", but that it's possible. When people say "it's not possible" or "I can't get better", they're not stating a fact - that's not something that can be proven. They're stating a view based on a lifetime of difficult, negative experiences. We tend to get stuck in an awful loop where bad experiences affect our confidence and behaviour, and that in turn causes new bad experiences. When life is like that, it's very hard to see a way out. That's why therapy/medication can help, not because it "fixes" us, but because it can help nudge us out of that loop so that we can, over time, start unwinding those built-up years of stress and negativity.

As for "live is worth living", that's very subjective; it depends on your experiences, and your outlook etc. There is no factual answer "the world is great"/"the world is awful". So, given a choice between rose-tinted glasses and (errr..) blue-tinted glasses, I'll take the world view that's happier and more fun any day.

You have to remember, everyone is reading or posting here for a reason. Maybe we're afraid, and looking for support. Or angry at the people around us for letting us down. Or feel isolated and looking to find like-minded people. Or we feel broken, and we want someone to fix us. Or we've had good experiences, and want to help if we can. But we all want things to be better. If we didn't - if all we wanted was to kill ourselves - we'd have done so many years ago. We're all still here because we all still care.

Very helpful post! Congratulations on getting to where you are!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Stuffedpillow

Hello, I guess Im here just to say somethings I cant say in real life this week has been a pretty tough week and I feel things are only going to get worse. over the last few yrs i have been getting more and more down but usually it doesnt start until mid winter. Im finding hard to cope right now i know im not helping myself by distancing myself from my friends, my family and breaking up with my ex (really gutted) but I need to find a way to dissapear. is there anything that helps out there. dont say a gp i dont want to spend my life funding the pharmaceutical industry. are there others out there is there a way to connect with people withouty them sucking you into their pile of s..t it seems to me everone i meet just sit there and talk at me dumping all their bitching and negative crap on me without ever asking me how i feel and although Im trying to escape all i can hear is there voices. i spent the day in bed sleeping and crying. got up to get a knife to help with the pain and i thought i know where you can dump all this stuff here on boards maybe tomorrow i will feel better knowing i put my thoughts down somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Kaching

so much to do :(

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Viva La Gloria

Getting a bit down about my dissertation work again. My supervisor is just no help whatsoever and I feel like I haven't a clue about where I'm going with it for certain sections. One of my other lecturers has been helping me enormously, to the point where he is effectively a second supervisor...but I just feel so guilty about it, terrified that I'm asking too much of him. Also getting a bit worried about timing and wondering whether I'm actually going to get it all done by the deadline date. Needless to say that I'm also doubting my abilities again completely and wondering why the hell I'm trying to write about stuff I don't even understand.

It's funny, the last few weeks have been good...knew it was only a matter of time before something else came along :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭dmcm_90

Hi I suffer from anxiety to and been for years. I cant work because of it. Iv been on 15mg lexapro for 2years and its helping a little.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

Was on effexor 75 for a few years started to feel like I was spinning out again went to doc and was put up to 150.has any one had any side effects from these tablets

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement