Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Missing the Point?

• 22-09-2006 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭

Howdy, Ive been doing Free Running for a while now, mostly arsing about in my home town at night running all over beloved public buildings.
    I was just wondering if anyone else feels that alot of people in Ireland are kinda missing the point with regards Free Running?
    Ive been wandering around dublin recently, and near everytime Ive seen people doing Free Running, all they've done is stay in one place, doing tricks off railings etc.
    No-one seems to be doing the actual "running" part though, just stunts in the one place.
    I mean surely the whole point of Free Running is that you keep on moving? Not just stand in one spot doing show-tricks.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Yeh I see what you mean but Dublin hasnt exactly got the greatest architecture for it. Considering its a pretty new sport to this city, most people are just getting to grips with what they are capable of and what better way to do it than in a spot you know.

Walked around Dublin myself and while there is a few choice spots theres still not much of a good free "run" per se.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭El_mariachi

Howdy, Ive been doing Free Running for a while now, mostly arsing about in my home town at night running all over beloved public buildings.
    I was just wondering if anyone else feels that alot of people in Ireland are kinda missing the point with regards Free Running?
    Ive been wandering around dublin recently, and near everytime Ive seen people doing Free Running, all they've done is stay in one place, doing tricks off railings etc.
    No-one seems to be doing the actual "running" part though, just stunts in the one place.
    I mean surely the whole point of Free Running is that you keep on moving? Not just stand in one spot doing show-tricks.

a true fact . i fell out with a loads of my Free runner friends over this! they all just wanna go to the one place,so they can do the one and only move they no and do that all day. it sux and they never improve because of it. dare i say it the parkour scene in ireland is more about showing off and tricking than anything else.

dare i say it the parkour scene in ireland is more about showing off and tricking than anything else.
    Hate to say it but I have to agree with you there

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

dare i say it the parkour scene in ireland is more about showing off and tricking than anything else.
    Indubitably.
    Although, there's a large element of poncing about in the scene in most countries...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭El_mariachi

Karoma wrote:
    Indubitably.
    Although, there's a large element of poncing about in the scene in most countries...

very true! suppose if its what makes you happy . who are we to say they cant!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Karoma wrote:
    Indubitably.
    Although, there's a large element of poncing about in most scenes in most countries...
    Edited for more universal truth. :)
    Seriously look at the skater crowds for example, you'd swear there were only one or two flat pieces of land in the county of Dublin. People get into these "fad" (meaning get loads of media attention then start to be ignored again) sports so as to be cool and are then afraid to try to actually progress in them, for fear they might fail and lose face in front of those they percieve to be cool, as a result everyone acts the sheep and sticks with the same old routines.
    This is where the likes of David Belle stand out, they like to push the envelope and so, IMO, they really do deserve respect, unlike the poseurs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

more young fellas need to take up gymnastics thats what

more young fellas need to take up gymnastics thats what
    Well gymnastics will broaden a persons ability so its a pretty good idea to start some sort of excersise. Most people I know who parkour just take a run at whatever obstacles they can see without thoughts of warming up or stretching out first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 deftdony

I have to agree with most of u in this thread. Mind you, Free Running is fairly new to Ireland in comparisson to many sports, so alot of ppl are still in the 'practice makes perfect stage' in terms of the moves(vaults etc). As for not strecthing before and after free running...I reckon those kinds of ppl are IDIOTS I`m afraid to say. The urban enviroment that we use in our sport has no give and is not designed for the human body, making stretching even more fundamental. To dose of you that don`t, give it a chance because it will help you long-term.

Advertisement