Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

warp 10?! whats the prob?!

Options
  • 27-06-2003 1:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭

Ok , as you know , Ships in star trek, well at least in Star Fleet are able to Push warp 9.9.
    But since star trek is on , their has not been a stable warp 10 capable ship, yes im aware some ship/ships managed warp 10. But looking for example at how todays technology moves so fast you think Starfleet would put more into that program for warp 10 or at least come closer and closer to it, if the Romulans or Dominion had warp 10 it would be a major advantage.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

well ere,s the problum

warp 10 = infinity speed
    infinity speed = infinity power consumption
    infinity power consumption= impossible

thats why the borg and other more advanced speices use transwarp/slipstream etc .It get,s past such barrier,s and offer,s speed,s many times faster than warp

and starfleet has tryed such technologys (warp 10 ) in a voyager ep *pure bull**** i might add* and transwarp in um star trek 2 or 3 ......the nx-2000 better knowen as the excelsior class :)

hope this explane it for you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭LastIrishMonkey

yeah like as if warp 10 is impossible they sould pull the finger out to be honest........... :rolleyes:

not sure what that ment

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

warp 10 = infinity speed
    infinity speed = infinity power consumption
    infinity power consumption= impossible

That's what people (in the trek universe) thought it was impossible to exceed light speed, however Cochrane proved that the once u reach the warp threshold the power requirement drops off considerably. Not sure if its the same for warp 10

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

nah its just R and D sitting on there laurels thinking that each year if we want we'll add another 9 onto an engine speed ah 9.9, 9.99 or sure this year we'll do 9.999, keeps the budget up :)

• Advertisement

well as far as i know the same happens in the real world with super sonic flight (and this maybe wrong)..... but when a jet sits at mac 1 drag is massive ! however is you sit at 1,1 mac the drag drops off like jumping the barrier with out ever sitting at it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

Lots of info on transwarp here

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭mcgarnicle

Didnt Paris go warp 10 in voyager? Before turning into some crazy lizard creature

ya that was the worst most idoitic show in st history (other than "a night in sickbay") And it seem,s they tryed to cover that whole thing up

That's what people (in the trek universe) thought it was impossible to exceed light speed, however Cochrane proved that the once u reach the warp threshold the power requirement drops off considerably. Not sure if its the same for warp 10

Well if you can jump the warp 10 barrier (ie transwarp) then the power needs drop of massively

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I preferred the old way - original series it just warp cubed times c - and they did go over 10

warp 1 = c
    warp 2 = 8c
    warp 3 = 27c etc. etc.

in the later series they fluffed it up to give 10 being infinity...
    asymtotic or some such...

• Advertisement

they made the speed of warp drive faster by comeing up with new maths that only a real warp enginer would understand lol

i thought it needed rescaling otherwise you would have people travelling at warp 21.6 etc.

well ya basicly warp 9 in tng scale would be like warp 15+ on the Tos scale

to be honest i havent a clue why they changed it around maybe just to make the Enterprise -D seem faster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

The reason is that the script writers don't want to go any faster than warp 10 :)
    If they did then they would. Simple as that.

although thats very true

Treky,s dont take such a easy route around a problum we notice in the tv show.........And its fun (anuff) to talk about theis things with like minded fan,s :)

Originally posted by bizmark
    well ya basicly warp 9 in tng scale would be like warp 15+ on the Tos scale

to be honest i havent a clue why they changed it around maybe just to make the Enterprise -D seem faster

well like i mentioned i think they did it as the federation realised that as ships went faster and faster the old scale would be come more and more meanlingless if warp 9 now is 15+ then imagine what 9.99 your talking big numbers at this stage so the newer scale is just easier i think.

ya true

Ensign set course for earth warp 123.797511.0 engage ! lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Warp 10 is an infinate velocity which would leave a ship at all points in the universe simultaneously. Tom paris had been the only person to achieve this he was sadly transformed into a freak of nature after it. conventional warp goes up to warp 9.99 anything above this is described as transwarp. warp 9.999 is supposed to be 1000 times faster than warp 9.99. in the episode all good things (TNG) a future beverly crusher orders the conn officer to engage at warp 13 this suggests that the warp table may have been recalibrated in the late 24th century.

Originally posted by AngelofFire
    conventional warp goes up to warp 9.99 anything above this is described as transwarp.

I'm not familiar with this concept? where did you obtain this information, i thought that any speed could be warp, but transwarp was something else that used transwarp conduits

theirs many different types of transwarp

The one with conduits baicly one ship makes a conduit that any other ship can use as long as the have the "code" to access it (kinda like the enterprise-D useing the borg conduit when lore attacked the fed)

Then theirs transwarp with a transwarp coil in which you make your own conduit and can pick which ever path you want but is slower than useing a older conduit (its like laying down rails)

Then theirs slipstrem drive basicly a slower type of coil transwarp

I know tomuch about star trek for my own good :D

• Advertisement

sure but i didn't know that when you crossed a certain speed you where automatically in transwarp?

I dont thing theirs a speed limit as such .Because when you first enter transwarp the ship would be going slower that speed at warp 6 or something like that.Transwarp seems to be like a slower wormhole through space

Hmmmmmmmmmmm im going to have to read up on Transwarp again as i seem to have forgoten some info

Sure if i have a chance i'll look into it also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

i have it right on front of me its in the star trek fact files under technology. A vessel travelling above warp 9.99 can not travel through convention space as it could damage the fabric of space therefore a transwarp conduit is necessary for a ship willing to travel above this velocity. A transwarp conduit is a very simple version of a wormhole as it is a shortcut through subspace. That is why communications in startrek are often referred to as subspace transmissions as it travels through a shortcut in subspace similar to a transwarp conduit. The conduit used by voyager is obviously a very advanced version of transwarp as they travel home in minutes. Although it was part of a hub which was instrumental in deploying borg vessels throughout the galaxy in minutes far superior to transwarp conduits generated by single cubes/spheres

Eh i was nearly right:)

Advertisement