Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UTV Clicksilver (BB) details for the Republic

• 10-06-2003 3:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

The pressure is more than I can bear!

A press release is being drafted as I write, however, as suggested, I am very pleased to let Boards know of the availability of Clicksilver right across Ireland.

Full signup processes and T's and C's will be available from Friday, although from close of business today, potential users of the service will be able to register their interest at http://u.tv/clicksilver

The basis of our offer is as follows (pricing includes VAT):

Signup fee of €99 on a self install basis.
    Includes modem and two filters.
    Monthly subscription of €47.50.
    UTV reserve the right to impose a cap of 5GBytes downloaded monthly.
    UTV's telephony offer is bundled with Clicksilver.

Full details will be carried on the site by Friday.

I realise that this is not a step change from current offers, but is as competitive as we can be. We hope that our service levels, technically and administratively will also help to differentiate our offer.

Kind regards

Scott Taunton
    Managing Director
    UTV Internet

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Beautiful :)

I know you said you hope not to have to impose the download cap, but I'd suggest upping it so that it's bigger than anyone elses.

The aesthetics of a 10gig cap look better than a 5gig one and may sway potential customers who are choosing purely on the specs of the service.

Oh and what modem are you planning on supplying?

Once again: Beautiful :)

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

uh oh ... esat/eircom/netsource

BUH-BYE

If netsource don't reduce their prices now, I'll be switching at the end of the 2 month contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

Thanks, Scott.

I'll be registering my interest alright - you'd never have guessed I was interested up to now, would you?!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

finally ,but i must say on first reading i'm at a bit of a loss as to why it's dearer that the iol offering , i had kinda hoped it would be the same price.I wasn't expecting it to be cheaper or to offer a bigger cap , just to be the same :(

Still , I will give this one serious consideration.

i must be mistaken, but wasn' the IOL offering going to be 49 a month? and 47.50 is indeed cheaper?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Malcolm

Originally posted by PiE
    Beautiful :)

Oh and what modem are you planning on supplying?

Once again: Beautiful :)
    Currently, for the DSL product in Northern Ireland, we use a Fujitsu modem which has proven to be extremely robust, user-friendly and trouble-free for the majority of users. Our intention will be to use this same modem type for all broadband customers, assuming technical compatability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Can a mod transfer this info to a new thresd of it's own. Otherwise many may miss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Originally posted by Scott Taunton
    UTV's telephony offer is bundled with Clicksilver.

Is this "bundlin" optional.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭MDR

Well done to UTV (again),
    I wish you had more flexibility to offer a larger cap, afterall I am sure Malcolm and Scott would be the first to agree when I say that 5 gigs is quite small, however they have been honest and upfront and demonstrated that they are doing their level best under difficult cicumstances, and should be commended for it.

They have an existing and growing customer base already using UTVIP, and have provided these existing customers a very clear path to upgrade to broadband, in the long term this sort of forsight will stand them in good stead with the consumer.

Keep on pushing guys ...

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

Scott, Malcom,

thanks for letting us know about the Clicksilver package as promised. For people outside of the Eircom DSL 'pale' will you be announcing the FRAICO details on Friday as well ?

Thanks

M.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

If only DSL is required -i.e. no telephony (that's what my mobile is for!), will you supply the product? I appreciate it's probably built into your costings for the product, but I know of quite a few people with current DSL installs who have taken that option.

Also, I would rather rate limiting to capping (drop it to 56k for all I care)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

<applause>

I'm not applauding the product in particular, but Scott's decision to continue engaging with IrelandOffline members. Thank you for that Scott. Please come to Cork and make your magic wand go <ting> over my exchange. So to speak.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Malcolm

Originally posted by Mr_Man
    Scott, Malcom,

thanks for letting us know about the Clicksilver package as promised. For people outside of the Eircom DSL 'pale' will you be announcing the FRAICO details on Friday as well ?

Thanks

M.
    To answer several questions, the telephony package is not an option but a pre-requisite for the internet service with reasons as detailed in Scott's previous post.

The FRIACO product will launch on 27th June across the industry as a whole and you can expect full details closer to the launch date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Mark_irl

2 weeks too late for me stuck with a rival now untill my contract runs its course. Patience is a virtue!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 joec

I presume that the technical side of this offering is the same as eircom,esat and netsource? as in 512k radsl ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

As the telephony service is included in the package could you please post details on the costs and charges that go with it.

For example, line rental, call costs, and any connection fees that may be included otherwise. If you are on isdn is there any differences or extra connection costs? All this coming from a change of service from a competitor to yourselves of course.

As the telephony service is compulsory, prices on the whole package would be more indicative, I believe.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Mark_irl

line rental goes to Eircom, details of call charges are on there web site,http://www.utvip.com/signup.asp?type=telephony&f=0.3220789

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

What is the install cost without the USB modem?

I need an ethernet modem in order to share out connection to a couple of PCs in the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

UTV is da bomb!

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

Signup fee of €99 on a self install basis

I've already had the install (I was with Eircom net for a bit), does this mean if I want to use UTV I've to pay again? I still have the modem etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

Originally posted by nahdoic
    i must be mistaken, but wasn' the IOL offering going to be 49 a month? and 47.50 is indeed cheaper?

How right you are:D , as I said it was my first reading of it and i was rushing back to work from lunch ,

Right where do I sign up ? cause this is the one I rekon for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭shinzon

but can anyone tell me whats exactly to get excited about here, this is little more than iols broadband offer but 2 euro cheaper, why would you go from Netsources no cap service to this (taking into account the problems with netsource, which they are working on), plus you have to take that damned telephony package as part and parcel of the signup.

UTV have good customer service but this is a really disappointing offer.

Sorry but I think its just jumpng on the bandwagon full stop

Regards

Shin

If you don't like it, don't get it. Simple.

For me; it's cheaper than any of the other offers, it's less hassle as I'm already with UTV and oh yea... it's not eircom or esat.

Jumping on the bandwagon? We're the ones who have been begging UTV to launch a DSL product and given eircoms current pricing structure, it's the best UTV (and probably anyone else atm) can do.

Why would you go from Netsource? Ooh a small difference of about €20 per month maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

umm how long is the minimum contrat??

hello???

there's a world of difference between "we reserve the right to enforce a cap" and "we'll charge you 3c per megabyte for every megabyte over 4 or 5 gigs".

and it's two euro cheaper than esat, and i'm currently paying 67 to netsource, because I don't want to get charged 3c per megabyte if i go over the cap. so this product is brilliant. and the best on offer to residential users.

i'm switching to it, as soon as i can.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭shinzon

god i gotta laugh, i think as regards UTV a lot of you have rose coloured glasses and unfortunately wont see the problems until yere signed up for it, this is exactly the same type of responses that happpened when netsource came out, first praise and absolute adoration, then problems started and the backlash began so will say no more now and await the threads to start, and as for the cap itll be enforced cause the warez monkeys will abuse the service as always

Regards

Shin

To be fair:
    Scott Taunton earlier in this thread
    We will reserve the right to implement caps, either on a PAYG basis or through a step down in speed. We don't expect to need to use them and do not like the thought of having to implement them. We are no different to Esat or Eircom in that regard. As broadband becomes mainstream, the likelihood of anyone implementing them is low.

er... didn't someone have a post here a second ago about caps?! Or am I going mad?

Ah was moved. Phew :]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭Serbian

Nice offer!

I'm still not keen on the whole telecoms package bundled in though. I know it is probably a good bit cheaper than ESAT / Eircom for most tariffs, but unfortunately the phone line where I live is not mine to change :)

Still 6 months to run on my IBB contract however so we'll see what things are like then.

Serb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Valentia
    Can a mod transfer this info to a new thresd of it's own. Otherwise many may miss it.
    Fair point. And done.

Advertisement