Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hitchcockian moment Thursday morning.

• 23-05-2015 6:18pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭

A bit of an odd one, but thought i'd see if anyone else has come across the same.

Was awake early the other morning and had the window open. Heard a noise outside that sounded like a bird in distress. When i looked out i saw nothing. So i went to the back door and upon opening it a crow took off. The car is parked at the back door and the crow was between it and far curb so i never seen it until it took off.

I took no notice and as it was flying away i assumed the bird was fine. I went back in and within 6 minutes had the same sound. This time coupled with "banging". I went out the back and the crow took off from the bonnet of the car. I went over to the bonnet and seen dirty fecking feet mark across my bonnet.

So i went to the garage to get a sponge and polishing cloth to clean it off. As i came around the corner from the garage the same crow took off again. He had obviously come back and decided to continue with whatever had his attention.

Here is the Hitchcockian moment.

When i went to the driver side which was "hidden" from view as it's facing out to the back fields and not toward the house the side of my car was destroyed in scratch marks. The filthy f**king b*****d had been "attacking" my car. Now whether it was his reflection or simply a f**k you moment from the crow to me did not matter. I took the sponge and polishing cloth and luckily the marks were not scratches in the paint but more like dirt rubbed/wiped onto the side of the car. So no damage there.

Next step was to end this winged vermin. The nearest thing to me or my house is a herd of cattle some 500 yards away. So shotgun came out of the press, and i grabbed two cartridges from the end of the belt. They turned out to be 36gr 5's (Eley Grand prix).

I waited with the backdoor slightly ajar. He was coming in from the right, between the dog run and the tree (a gap of 6 feet), and coming to the car. So i waited. He came down to the tree at the end of the garden, some 39 yards away, but to be sure i wanted him to come in closer. I let the door close over, but not tight. I waited for 2 minutes and slowly opened the door. No crow in the tree. I flicked the safety off of the gun, and swung the door open. He took off from the side of the car, down towards the gap beside the dog run where he came in. I lifted the gun, and fired. As i did he turned left, and dropped so i gave him the second barrel. Down he went.

Have spent the last two days waiting for more but nothing. So problem ended. Just to be clear. There is no house(s) within shot off me, and the dog run has been converted into a storage area for the last few years so the shot was 100% safe. Wouldn't have done it otherwise.

I've seen crows doing some weird crap over the years but never one that was so absolutely determined to destroy my car. Anyone have anything similar?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭skipking

yes cass , i was asked to shoot some crows that were attacking windows of a house early in the mornings.
    they used to wake up the people in the mornings, the lady of the house was afraid to go out while they were
    there. i went down early one morning and got a couple and they were grey crows, they were hopping off
    the windows.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

crows.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

Sounds to me like this thick MF was attacking his own reflection, as you say.

If you were Kojak, imagine the fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 loftypheasant

Yeah, I had friends whose car and house were being attacked every morning by grey crows a couple of years ago. They were making absolute s***e of the car, attacking their reflection in the metallic paint. I caught them with a larsen trap.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Yeah a guy in work who lives in a rural area asked me to take care of crows who were attacking his house early in the morning too.

• Advertisement

crows are highly intelligent birds.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Roquentin wrote: »

So what your saying is he was trying to break into the car and go on a spin?

So what your saying is he was trying to break into the car and go on a spin?

more than likely:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Vegeta wrote: »
    Yeah a guy in work who lives in a rural area asked me to take care of crows who were attacking his house early in the morning too.

SchoolChildrenRunningfromSchoolHouse.jpg

Can be abit of a problem alright...:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

Roquentin wrote: »

Welsh country saying - 'Os bydd dynion yn adar, byddai ychydig yn ddigon clyfar i fod yn frân.'

'If men were birds, few would be clever enough to be a crow'.

tac

• Advertisement
Advertisement