Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

THIS should cheer you up -UK-legal Glock .22

• 23-05-2015 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_RWpu_1Csk

To tell the truth, I almost lost my lunch seeing this thing.

Apart from that, words fail me.... almost, until I saw what had been done to the SIG Classic .22. Look at englishguns' excellent series on getting [legal] possession of firearms in UK - a real eye-opener for anyone who doesn't live there, or doesn't know what the Brits have to do to acquire a firearm.

Remember that all this ruination of a perfectly ordinary handgun costs a FORTUNE!!! The Glock is going to sell - and it WILL sell like crazy - for around £1000, while the SIG Classic .22 is a truly horrendous £1350.00.

Meanwhile, in the North, you can have one that doesn't look like Rube Goldberg designed it.....

tac

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Hmmmm.Does it necessarily have to have that coat wire thingy stuck out of the butt?i could see a "Glock Stock" folding [stock] being put permantly in there instead and making this into a nice handy[ish] holsterable carbine.Or do these Long barrelled pistols have to have a solid bit of rod sticking out their backsides to comply with the UK law??

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

the wire is simply to make the overall length longer than 60cm and the longer barrel so it isnt classed as a short arm etc.. :rolleyes::rolleyes:
    makes perfect scene a criminal couldn't take a hack saw to the barrel and wire and have a normal handgun in about thirty seconds. :P:pac:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

Present UK law that applies ONLY to mainland UK states that the barrel must be a minimum of 12" long and that the OVERALL length of the firearm must be 600mm/24".

THAT makes it a long-barrelled pistol or revolver.

ANY kind of a stock that actually LOOKS like a stock would make it into a carbine, and that, mo chara, needs the barrel to be a minimum of 18".....

I have a Ruger Super Redhawk .357Mag with a 14" bull barrel and a Burris 2 - 7x24 scope on top - only the bull barrel saves it from looking totally ridiculous.

It seems that no matter which side of the Irish Sea you live, there are idiotic laws that just can't be ignored.

tac

juice1304 wrote: »
    the wire is simply to make the overall length longer than 60cm and the longer barrel so it isnt classed as a short arm etc.. :rolleyes::rolleyes:
    makes perfect scene a criminal couldn't take a hack saw to the barrel and wire and have a normal handgun in about thirty seconds. :P:pac:confused:

Why would any self-respecting criminal want to do that? He can buy a 9mm Glock for less than the price of that thing from a car trunk in a supermarket car park.

Anyhow, how is he going to get ahold of one of THESE things? So far there IS only one.

tac

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

And people will actually buy this? I didnt realise the laws were so bad in the UK.. you could probably fly to Austria 3 times with ryanair and shoot a proper Glock for the price of it too

• Advertisement

I have not the slightest doubt that shooters on mainland UK will buy every one ever made, even at that price.

Example of the cost of an LBR [long-barrelled revolver] - I paid £750 for my Ruger Super Redhawk back in 2002.

I have a line of folks at my club at the 'starting' price of £1750........

When this is all there is, or nothing, it's a seller's market, right?

tac

Yeah that's true, unlikely to have the law changed at any point either I would guess? (unless to get even stricter of course)

What are they like to shoot?

[quote="tac foley;9560349)

It seems that no matter which side of the Irish Sea you live, there are idiotic laws that just can't be ignored.

tac[/quote]

Be assured of three things in this life.Death,taxes and stupid gun laws.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

What's it like to shoot?

I have no idea, and unless I buy one [when hell freezes over], I never will.

Again , with the wacky laws hereabouts, only the registered owner of the thing - the person who has it on his or her gun license [for want of a better word] is permitted in law to shoot it.

Nobody but me can shoot MY long-barrelled revolver, so shooting it is a fun experience that I can never share.

Same with ALL similar firearms. And since, here in yUK, illegal possession of a firearm is what is known as a 'absolute offence' for which there can be no defence or excuse, I'm not about to induce anybody to find out.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Gormley85

tac foley wrote: »
    Meanwhile, in the North, you can have one that doesn't look like Rube Goldberg designed it.....
    I have a Ruger Super Redhawk .357Mag with a 14" bull barrel and a Burris 2 - 7x24 scope on top - only the bull barrel saves it from looking totally ridiculous.

Why are you so hung up on how guns look..??

I have no idea, and unless I buy one [when hell freezes over], I never will.

Why not? Even if it turns out to be an absolute tack driver would you still refuse...?

• Advertisement

It's the aesthetics of the thing - the same way that most car fans, in general, would not drive a brown Ferrari.

Well, add to that the horrendous cost of the thing as well.

At least my Super Redhawk is a nice big centre-fire revolver...of sorts.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭EWQuinn

"It's the aesthetics of the thing - the same way that most car fans, in general, would not drive a brown Ferrari."

It's a Glock, there are no aesthetics to worry about, modify away.

EWQuinn wrote: »
    "It's the aesthetics of the thing - the same way that most car fans, in general, would not drive a brown Ferrari."

It's a Glock, there are no aesthetics to worry about, modify away.

My point exactly. But..........I have to say that it IS possible to make something designed entirely out of straight lines to look even worse.

tac

Its Austrian !!:) They dont do asthetics...Germanic people find the beauty in it working and doing the job day in day out without any hitches or problems. ..If you want beauty,asthetics and tempermanentality[I recommend Franchi!] buy an Italian car or gun or have an Italian girlfriend:)
    Thats why Glock advertises itself as Glock Perfection.:D

I guess I must be the only one who enjoys the aesthetics of a glock, I like the brutal industrial look :P

I dont think anyone is going to like the steyr handguns either..

I guess I must be the only one who enjoys the aesthetics of a glock, I like the brutal industrial look :P

I dont think anyone is going to like the steyr handguns either..

I do..Especially a Steyr GB..Which would have been Glocks main competition in the Austrian army pistol challange.Absolute dirt eater when it comes to 9mm.Will fire any old ratty 9mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Gormley85

It's the aesthetics of the thing - the same way that most car fans, in general, would not drive a brown Ferrari.

At least my Super Redhawk is a nice big centre-fire revolver...of sorts.

tac

Not that I know the slightest thing about cars, but I would assume if we take the average car enthusiast and hand him a brown ferrari he wouldnt turn his nose up at it. He would appreciate it for its capabilities.

As the lads have said glocks in general look pretty $hite.... but nobody cares........ when you buy a glock you're buying a product that will perform every single time and wont let you down.

I have this argument all the time with lads at my range who buy sig mosquitos so they can have a 'cool looking pistol' that cant hit a damn thing at 15 yards and jams up and fails them every few shots.... while I stand there with my space-gun that easily out shoots them and never fails.

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    I do..Especially a Steyr GB..Which would have been Glocks main competition in the Austrian army pistol challange.Absolute dirt eater when it comes to 9mm.Will fire any old ratty 9mm.
    The GB looks nice alright, but what do you think of the modern M and L series? I'm tempted to apply for an M40 once I get back to Austria.

Personally anyway I wouldn't have any interest in shooting something I couldn't stand the sight of, it would take a lot of the fun out of it for me.

Making the rectangular Glock look like that is like putting a Predator mask on Frankenstein's monster.

@Mr Gormley85 - do a check some time to see how many brown Ferraris there are.....

tac

The GB looks nice alright, but what do you think of the modern M and L series? I'm tempted to apply for an M40 once I get back to Austria.

Personally anyway I wouldn't have any interest in shooting something I couldn't stand the sight of, it would take a lot of the fun out of it for me.

Couldnt tell you the first thing about them TBH.Never seen until I googled them.Look modern,square blocks of polymer[a cross between a Walther P seris and a SW to me] good caliber selection and some nice saftey features like inbuilt key lock mechanisms.But how they shoot or actually feel in the hand is anyones guess in this land.:(
    Austria,not a bad old spot for the shooting and gun ownership..Everything from Ferlach to Steyr...Are they still abit quare about pump action shotguns over there??Last time I heard they were banned in any shape or form??:confused:

• Advertisement

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Couldnt tell you the first thing about them TBH.Never seen until I googled them.Look modern,square blocks of polymer[a cross between a Walther P seris and a SW to me] good caliber selection and some nice saftey features like inbuilt key lock mechanisms.But how they shoot or actually feel in the hand is anyones guess in this land.:(
    Austria,not a bad old spot for the shooting and gun ownership..Everything from Ferlach to Steyr...Are they still abit quare about pump action shotguns over there??Last time I heard they were banned in any shape or form??:confused:
    Yeah they are on the forbidden list, I think a friend of mine said it was due to their use in a shooting years ago, but I never saw the official reason. It's an oddity since you can just get a semi-auto shotgun like the Saiga-12 same as you get a pistol or semi-auto rifle. Other than that though it's a very good place for shooting and owning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

I'm a big fan of the L and M series. Best fitting handgun I have ever held, for me, and the angle of the grip is great for recoil management. I absolutely love the trapezoid sights. There can be some issues with extraction and not returning to battery though due to some machining marks inside but I would imagine that kink has been ironed out by now.

Advertisement