Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is the Wire the best ever tv show? "Spoilers"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

I enjoy the Wire until people make it a subject of intense academic debate, then I just stop caring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

so what do u thing so far of breaking bad

Its a superb show. I understand that its completely different and comparisons between the two shows are unfair. In terms of entertainment value though the two are right up there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

The Wire is a slow burn but has a greater payoff. It really asks a lot in terms of viewer investment though. Breaking Bad is the opposite. It's infectious and very addictive but I think the earlier seasons are the strongest. Both series have their good and crap seasons, like any TV show really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

snausages wrote: »
    I enjoy the Wire until people make it a subject of intense academic debate, then I just stop caring.

That's such a Carver thing to say

• Registered Users Posts: 42 peterb23

the wire is / was the best show on tv, breaking bad very good but for twists and turns the wire has it for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 peterb23

oh special mention to the sopranos too of course

bamboozle wrote: »
    my fav shows

The wire - by a long shot
    Dead wood
    Arrested Development
    Jeeves and Wooster
    Entourage

Good but not great shows
    The Shield
    The West Wing
    Madmen
    Sopranos

Wasnt mad about
    breaking Bad
    True Blood

Holy sh1t dude

The wire is my favourite. However, that may change if the end of breaking bad lives up to the hype.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

For me, The Wire is the king because it focuses on real life struggles and the issues that people in inner-city America come up against in their daily lives every day of the week. Breaking Bad and The Sopranos are great entertainment but they dont make you think about society as a whole the way that The Wire does. Just my opinion, mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Just finished watching it now after it being recommended by a good few friends. And yes its an absolutely brilliant show, especially seasons 3 and 4. I really enjoyed the character of Stringer Bell and he probably was my favourite character in the whole series. It definitely goes straight into my top 3 all time tv shows but definitely would not pass out the Sopranos for me, the greatest show ever. I do feel the Wire is a little overhyped and found the start of season one to be a bit slow and complicated which took away from it for me but definitely goes in second best for me just ahead of BB.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

I'm just a humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick.

Bunk Moreland.

What a legend. :)

Cracks me up every time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

The Wire is a great show and Season 2 is one of the greatest seasons of television I have seen.It's my favourite season and I can relate to more as the characters are basically average joes who most people encounter every day of their lives.

The Shield rarely seems to get mentioned alongside The Wire, Sopranos,Breaking Bad etc and in my opinion is just as good as any of those shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

True detective is battering the door down of this thread now.

Mardy Bum wrote: »

Its brilliant, but it wont be near the Wire until theres been 5 seasons of absolute top quality. The Wire is still the daddy of all TV shows, or at least any that I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Its brilliant, but it wont be near the Wire until theres been 5 seasons of absolute top quality. The Wire is still the daddy of all TV shows, or at least any that I've seen.

Yeah I agree. The cinematography of True Detective out does it though I have to admit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Mardy Bum wrote: »

Best thing on tv right now alright, if it keeps up the quality for another 2 or 3 seasons it will be right up there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

I'm just about to start season three. It's definitely one of the best tv shows I've ever seen. It hasn't reached Breaking Bad heights yet for me but it's close.

CL7 wrote: »
    I'm just about to start season three. It's definitely one of the best tv shows I've ever seen. It hasn't reached Breaking Bad heights yet for me but it's close.

Breaking bad? I dont know how this can even compare to the likes of the wire or sopranos. BB most overated show or the last few years.

CL7 wrote: »

Breaking bad? I dont know how this can even compare to the likes of the wire or sopranos. BB most overated show or the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Dob74 wrote: »

agree with this removed from watching all 3 a few months now and after all the craze and hype, although its a top top show, its not on the level of the other two, two masterpieces.

• Advertisement

Dob74 wrote: »

Breaking Bad is a very good show, with 4 good to very good seasons and one superb season. The Wire is a superb show from start to finish, and at times is absolutely untouchable. Seasons 3 and 4 of The Wire are above anything else that I've ever seen on television. Just fantastic.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Breaking Bad is a very good show, with 4 good to very good seasons and one superb season. The Wire is a superb show from start to finish, and at times is absolutely untouchable. Seasons 3 and 4 of The Wire are above anything else that I've ever seen on television. Just fantastic.

You genuinely think season 4 is better than season 1???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Season 4 of The Wire is incredible television imo, the acting performances they get out of the younger members of the cast are brilliant, the storyline is so good.

I am hard pushed to find a season of The Wire I find fault with tbh, maybe 5 but I still loved it!

I can never think of The Wire without a rush of images running through my mind, the likes of
    the tragic Frank Sobotka walking to his demise in Season 2, Michaels dads horrible end in season 4, the moment when you think Stringer and Avon know they are both going to betray each other, the death of Wallace, the hilarity of the "****" scene, Bunk, all of Bunk :)
    and so many, many more.

My favorite show of all time, the only thing to come close to it for me is The Sopranos when it comes to quality and longevity, well, things like Friday Night Lights too but they are totally different types of show :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

The Wire is the most rewarding tv show I've ever seen.

And people who watch The Wire once and say they've seen The Wire, have not seen The Wire. The Sopranos, Deadwood, Mad Men and others are all close.

Breaking Bad on the other hand? Enjoyed it, thoroughly at times, but my god once was more than enough. Great for what it was though. Exceptional at times.

• Sorry for dragging up the old thread. I've 5 episodes left and i must say this show is an absolute masterclass. Every single character is so well written, multi-faceted and defined.

There is everything in the show. Humour, drama, terrific acting. I'm hard picked to find a fault with this show. Breaking Bad was good but it doesn't come near the Wire. There is two 'Greatest shows of all times' competitions in my opinion. There is the Wire and then there is everything else. It is absolutely excellent. And the ironic thing is is sneaks up on you. You watch the first few episodes with the bit of intrigue and then BAM your hooked.

Superb, Wonderful, 10/10. That is all

PS: having a chuckle to myself at the fact that the user from the OP called Jimmy McNulty is 'banned'. :D Very true to the character himself who crossed all the boundaries

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭trashcan

Sorry for dragging up the old thread. I've 5 episodes left and i must say this show is an absolute masterclass. Every single character is so well written, multi-faceted and defined.

There is everything in the show. Humour, drama, terrific acting. I'm hard picked to find a fault with this show. Breaking Bad was good but it doesn't come near the Wire. There is two 'Greatest shows of all times' competitions in my opinion. There is the Wire and then there is everything else. It is absolutely excellent. And the ironic thing is is sneaks up on you. You watch the first few episodes with the bit of intrigue and then BAM your hooked.

Superb, Wonderful, 10/10. That is all

PS: having a chuckle to myself at the fact that the user from the OP called Jimmy McNulty is 'banned'. :D Very true to the character himself who crossed all the boundaries

Yep, amen to all that. All other TV drama pales in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Pops_20

2 episodes from the finale and I don't want it to end! Definitely the best TV show I've ever seen, and not sure how I didn't watch it before now.

Before this Breaking Bad was on my list as the greatest show but The Wire is on a whole other level IMO. I watched the first two seasons over a couple of months on Sky Atlantic but they stopped showing it and I had to buy the box set. I'll admit it was a bit jarring at first going from HD 16:9 to the standard definition; almost felt like I was watching a different show, but I'm guessing original is best.

All I can say is - can't wait to watch it for a second time around in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Troyaferd

It's definitely one of the best, but there are more series from different Genres out there that are also outstanding. (and Breaking Bad is not one of them IMO)

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Realbhoy

I didnt watch it first time round but got a present of it on boxset a while back. Outstanding stuff and I thought the second season and in particular the character of Frank Sobotka was just inspired. It is very close between it and Breaking Bad for me (the last 4 episodes and anything with Gus Fring were brilliant also) but I'd go for the wire very marginally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

When it comes to The Sopranos vs The Wire, they're both the greatest tv show of all time depending on when you saw them last..

Advertisement