Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Meeting other young lesbians in Ireland.

Options
  • 14-07-2010 6:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi,
    So I live in Meath and basically I'm 19 and haven't (to my knowledge) ever even meet another lesbian.
    I've only recently came to accepting my sexuality and tried some dating sites. It was a disaster and I just found it awkward and stuff.
    I'm really clueless about how girls go about meeting other lesbians, especially when you don't have any friends willing to come to gay bars etc. with you...

I've never properly been with a girl and I'm starting to feel a little on my own... So yeah, any advice would be nice!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

http://www.belongto.org/group.aspx?sectionid=54
    The Ladybirds

The Ladybirds is a group for young Lesbian, Bi-sexual and Transgender women in Dublin aged 14 - 23 years of age, the group meets weekly on Thursdays.

We’re very friendly and welcome all new people, so if you’re feeling all alone, come and join us! Everything that happens in The LadyBirds stays confidential so don’t worry if you’re not out – if you don’t want to tell other people. For the first half hour we sit around, eat food, drink tea and chat before we get down to work and then in the last half hour we clean up the mess we’ve created and wind down.

During the time that we do “productive” work, we’re the ones who get to decide what it is we are going to do, whether its learning about lesbian, bi and trans women’s issues or watching a movie with a bit of popcorn. No matter what goes on in The LadyBirds we always make sure we have the craic and make friends. And the youth workers are always there to give us support and guidance.

Parliament House, 13 Parliament Street, Dublin 2, Ireland
    See map
    Phone us

01 670 6223
    Email us

info@belongto.org

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭lushballs

'Running Amach' Social Club for LGBTQ women.
    Has over 500 members. Social Events organised several times a week.
    Women of all ages.

http://www.meetup.com/Dublin-LGBTQ-Womens-Social-Networking-Club

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Well first off, the suggestions from above posters are really good.

Secondly, don't feel rushed into 'being with a girl properly'. A lot of girls are in a similar situation as you- i didn't have a romantic/ sexual experience with a girl til I was 21, so you're not weird.

If you're in college, try joining their lgb group too- you can meet lots of people. Don't assume either that you can opnly meet gay girls in gay places- i met my gf volunteering with the St. Vincent de Paul!

General chat websites can be good too, like forums on Gaire, and afterellen.com has a decent irish contingent.

Either way, try not to get too stressed and rush stuff- just have fun. I know there's a group from Running Amach (which a previous poster recommended) going to the Funky Seomra in the RDS this weekend, plus they do lots of random days out and events like photowalks, picnics, gig groups, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 frankie15

The above suggestions are great ones and something you should really consider-if you're in Meath-it's worth making the short trip to Dublin to get involved. I'm also from Meath 9although a bit older) and it was hard initially to try and make LGBTQ friends let alone meet someone so I know where you're coming from! Joining social websites like Gaire.com can be a good way of making contact and they frequently organize offline meet-ups, but in starting out, it would prob be a good to join a group similar to your own age. Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,799 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

If you're near enough to Dundalk perhaps visit Dundalk outcomers as well http://www.outcomers.org/ also - there appears to be somesort of group in meath that I found on facebook when I did a search for gay meath - don't think its very active but not quite sure

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Paula10

yeh ive the same prob,im bi ,or i think i am,have never been with a girl and duno where to find other bi girls,i only like girly girls like me,not boy looking girls,im 21 and from dub

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭AvaKinder

Hi Paula,
    You should check out Running Amach it's a great way to meet other LGBT women based in Dublin. Always something different on.

http://www.meetup.com/Dublin-LGBTQ-Womens-Social-Networking-Club/

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Paula10

Thanks Avakinder,i set up a profile thing on that,duno if ill be able to get a hang of it though not good with computers lol.x

• Registered Users Posts: 28 skysthelimit

hayy im 19 bi and from meath too i find if ya go on sights like tagged etc thats where i meet aot of ppl and i find once ya know 1 lesbian they usualy know alode of other ones i know it sounds rediculous but in my experiance it is anyway wat parta meath u from

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

+1 for ladybirds
    There's a nice, safe atmosphere and it's more geared to friendships etc which takes the edge off it. Great youth workers and organisers too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Finding other lesbians my age outside of group-y things is so hard. The only way to do it is be friends with some other gay person on Facebook and then find people through that. Now I've been friends with one or two gay people for MONTHS on Facebook and today is the first day anyone new has contacted me, which I'm very happy about because she's cute. Now to decide what to do next :S

Tagged is fine but the problem with it is people are on for a week and then never come back. Most of the people are from outside Dublin though, which is probably good because you're in Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

stephunk wrote: »
    Hi,
    So I live in Meath and basically I'm 19 and haven't (to my knowledge) ever even meet another lesbian.
    I've only recently came to accepting my sexuality and tried some dating sites. It was a disaster and I just found it awkward and stuff.
    I'm really clueless about how girls go about meeting other lesbians, especially when you don't have any friends willing to come to gay bars etc. with you...

I've never properly been with a girl and I'm starting to feel a little on my own... So yeah, any advice would be nice!

Hi,
    I'm in the same thing like you.. I'm 21 and i'm living in meath too.
    And I'm new in Ireland so thats ****ty too cuz i don't know anybody!
    But know ur not on your own!!
    x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭cuffesis

I'm 19 from Dublin and I totally understand. I'm told there's loads of people like me out there and yet... they're doing a great job at hiding!:p

cuffesis wrote: »
    I'm 19 from Dublin and I totally understand. I'm told there's loads of people like me out there and yet... they're doing a great job at hiding!:p

I know!! I never even see them let alone know them! 1 in 10 my arse. I think unless you're within certain circles you basically never meet anyone. :/

I think once you meet one you find about 50 more. And then there's the ones you have your suspicions about! hehe. Suppose we have each other on this. You know me now :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Lorrrrraine

I've been meaning to go to Lady Birds for the last while but am a bit aprehensive. Just hoping that the people are different to the ones that I've encountered on the scene.

I want to try go to a few of the groups myself but I'm quite nervous. i definitely wouldn't go alone!

cuffesis wrote: »
    I want to try go to a few of the groups myself but I'm quite nervous. i definitely wouldn't go alone!

Yeah, same. I'm imaginging some sort of lesbian circle formation protected with a super-clique force field. :pac:
    I'd imagine that the people would be copped on enough to introduce themselves to a new member though.

How old are you all do you mind me asking?

I find the whole Ladybird group a bit too young and innocent for me. Youth groups in general don't appeal to me and meeting up to do 'projects' and talking about LGBT 'issues' is a not really what I'm looking for.

Yet the Running Amach group seems to have no young members

Catch 22 :D

How old are you all do you mind me asking?

I find the whole Ladybird group a bit too young and innocent for me. Youth groups in general don't appeal to me and meeting up to do 'projects' and talking about LGBT 'issues' is a not really what I'm looking for.

Yet the Running Amach group seems to have no young members

Catch 22 :D

I thought Ladybirds was for 18-24 year olds but I've just checked and it's not. Shame! Yeah, I quickly scoped out the meetup website and they all seemed to be over 40.

• Advertisement

Yeah, same. I'm imaginging some sort of lesbian circle formation protected with a super-clique force field. :pac:
    I'd imagine that the people would be copped on enough to introduce themselves to a new member though.

I'd say they have a routine when a new member comes along. Hi I'm susie I've been liking vaginas for quite some time now etc etc etc

From my experience of some of these sorts of groups they are soooooooooooo cliquey. Like levels of cliquey I've never even seen, so I can only imagine what a club for young lesbians who are cliquey to begin with must be like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Platinum2010

I'm 18 from munster and there's no one round these parts that's openly lesbian as far a I know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Kanoe

I'm 18 from munster and there's no one round these parts that's openly lesbian as far a I know
    There's three decent sized areas of population in Munster, between Cork, Waterford and Limerick there's bound to be a few girls around, you just haven't met them yet. From what I can see there's a larger number of younger females out here (s.e. munster) I have a hard time meeting women over the age of 28. Then again it appears that every second female I meet is bi these days, it's very confusing. :confused:
    Look out for group gatherings, theatre, drama, sports and activities that you can become involved in, it's a good way of meeting people too. :)

Can't say I've tried limerick but not having much luck in Waterford or cork

Can't say I've tried limerick but not having much luck in Waterford or cork
    mmm..I'm in Waterford. If I went to town tonight I could guarantee that within twenty minutes I will have met a handful of bisexual girls in their early-mid twenties in one or two main street locations. (I just need to state not that I'm especially interested or looking it's just that I seem to meet a lot of them lately)
    I met a group of gay girls early twenties last week from the area in the local gay bar so they are there and not hiding. (they went to school with my niece)

While it's all good and well versing whats in pubs or clubs, it's probably not the best way to meet people..although understandably it might be the easiest. :o
    I'm just more willing to put in a little effort to meet the right person/people.

Are you originally from Waterford ?
    Been to dignity and there are not many people interested in anything other than hanging with their mates which is understandable to be fair

Are you originally from Waterford ?
    Been to dignity and there are not many people interested in anything other than hanging with their mates which is understandable to be fair
    yep from the area. and yeah, most people will hang out with their mates there but it's a small enough town that usually someone knows someone else and that's how you get to meet people. I don't go very often, maybe once or twice a month but I know enough to mingle with. On the other hand I've met more people and made lasting friendships through people on a regular night out, in very "straight" environments. So don't give up just yet :)

Thanks it's just hard when you dont know anyone really and most of your friends won't go to dignity or when you are nervous about going to the chillout group in town the only really way I know anyone gay is in Dublin because I know folk up there who have introduced me to the scene up there

• Advertisement

Hi there..
    im 19 and i live in cork..ive been extremely curious lately about being with another girl..ive tried to talk to girls from my area on dating sites but id reather just do it in a chatroom or on facebook if possible.. is there ne1 who knows a chatroom or anything?!?!....

Advertisement