Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Boards.ie Quick and Dirty Renting Guide

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Cocolola

Wasn't sure where to put this and didn't think it deserved it's own thread so mods, feel free to move or anything.

So basically I just wanted to know if it's considered appropriate or not to approach the current tenants of a property to ask them if there are any issues etc. with the place. My gut tells me no but I wanted to check here.

A suitable house came up on Daft the other day and I called the estate agents to register interest. They called back yesterday morning to tell me they were doing viewings in an hours time and that it'd probably be gone by that evening so I tore home from college (mature student) to view it. Now this is completely my own fault, I acknowledge this, but it was only my second time ever doing a viewing and I was in a bit of a panic so I had a quick look around but like a fool I never checked anything remotely practical like windows, fixtures, heating and so on. In general it looked like a nice place and we've lost out on houses before by not acting quick enough so I called the agents to say we were interested in it. Apparently another woman offered more than the asking amount and I was asked if we'd be prepared to match it, I said no but we got the place anyway. This makes me suspicious (I'm a natural worrier) that I was the only one who wanted the place and that there may be something wrong with it. I'm clearly not capable of going back for another viewing and himself can't get the time off work to view so that's why I was wondering if it'd be ok or not to approach the current tenants ourselves.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Cocolola wrote: »
    Wasn't sure where to put this and didn't think it deserved it's own thread so mods, feel free to move or anything.

So basically I just wanted to know if it's considered appropriate or not to approach the current tenants of a property to ask them if there are any issues etc. with the place. My gut tells me no but I wanted to check here.

A suitable house came up on Daft the other day and I called the estate agents to register interest. They called back yesterday morning to tell me they were doing viewings in an hours time and that it'd probably be gone by that evening so I tore home from college (mature student) to view it. Now this is completely my own fault, I acknowledge this, but it was only my second time ever doing a viewing and I was in a bit of a panic so I had a quick look around but like a fool I never checked anything remotely practical like windows, fixtures, heating and so on. In general it looked like a nice place and we've lost out on houses before by not acting quick enough so I called the agents to say we were interested in it. Apparently another woman offered more than the asking amount and I was asked if we'd be prepared to match it, I said no but we got the place anyway. This makes me suspicious (I'm a natural worrier) that I was the only one who wanted the place and that there may be something wrong with it. I'm clearly not capable of going back for another viewing and himself can't get the time off work to view so that's why I was wondering if it'd be ok or not to approach the current tenants ourselves.

Have you handed over any money or signed a lease yet? If not, ask to do an inspection of the property and say you will issue a snag list of issues. The landlord may accept or reject the snags, but depending on what they are he may have to rectify them by law (i.e. http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/repairs_maintenance_and_minimum_physical_standards.html). Any deal breakers and just walk away without handing over any money or signature on the dotted line.

In the event that you've already signed a lease, the landlord still has to comply with the minimum standards. If they fall outside his legal obligations, e.g. no dishwasher, then there's not much you can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Cocolola

Have you handed over any money or signed a lease yet? If not, ask to do an inspection of the property and say you will issue a snag list of issues. The landlord may accept or reject the snags, but depending on what they are he may have to rectify them by law (i.e. http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/repairs_maintenance_and_minimum_physical_standards.html). Any deal breakers and just walk away without handing over any money or signature on the dotted line.

In the event that you've already signed a lease, the landlord still has to comply with the minimum standards. If they fall outside his legal obligations, e.g. no dishwasher, then there's not much you can do.

Thanks for the information, I'll give that a proper read later when I get a chance.

Yes we had to pay one month's rent as a deposit to secure the house. We were also informed by the estate agent that the landlord will not be doing anything to the house, it will be "as is". We were told she had it recently painted etc. This is another red flag for me, is there some sort of serious issue with it and she's unable or unwilling to pay for any necessary repairs or whatever? Like the person who's landlord can't fix their boiler on another thread. Or are they just minor 'snags' that fall outside the obligations as you say.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Cocolola wrote: »
    Thanks for the information, I'll give that a proper read later when I get a chance.

Yes we had to pay one month's rent as a deposit to secure the house. We were also informed by the estate agent that the landlord will not be doing anything to the house, it will be "as is". We were told she had it recently painted etc. This is another red flag for me, is there some sort of serious issue with it and she's unable or unwilling to pay for any necessary repairs or whatever? Like the person who's landlord can't fix their boiler on another thread. Or are they just minor 'snags' that fall outside the obligations as you say.

The boiler would come under their legal obligations. I'm not sure why the painting is a red flag, or were you referring to the 'as is' statement. Yes, minor snags would be those that are outside their duties as a landlord, such as provision of a dishwasher, since a sink with hot water is available, or fixing minor scuffs and scratches. Things like heating not working or a broken washing machine would be obligations they would have to address, despite what is said about 'as is'.

But be sure to be firm in the negotiations, if there are problems that fall in that remit be sure to remind them of these obligations.

Other things to ask for would be a BER cert (legal obligation) and inventory of all items provided (if the place is furnished). Also take pictures when you move in. It will help if there's a dispute at any stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭anBoMor

Renting for the first time so I'm slightly intimidated. I was informed by current residents that rent is due on a specific day each month, which is fine except while talking to the landlord he asked for the deposit and a full months rent even though I'd be moving mid month. Is this allowed at all? I haven't paid or signed anything yet and I'm reluctant to give full rent for two weeks when it should only be a couple hundred.
    Other than that, place is nice, no damp, good area and mod cons. Little cold but I can handle that.

• Advertisement

anBoMor wrote: »
    Renting for the first time so I'm slightly intimidated. I was informed by current residents that rent is due on a specific day each month, which is fine except while talking to the landlord he asked for the deposit and a full months rent even though I'd be moving mid month. Is this allowed at all? I haven't paid or signed anything yet and I'm reluctant to give full rent for two weeks when it should only be a couple hundred.
    Other than that, place is nice, no damp, good area and mod cons. Little cold but I can handle that.

Ask the landlord can you pay on the same date each month as the date you move in. Problem sorted.

If not, say you will only pay for the portion of the month to the payment date.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Are landlords asking for more than one months deposit in Dublin ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

one months rent and a month in advance is usually the thing,

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

goat2 wrote: »
    one months rent and a month in advance is usually the thing,

Thats how it has been traditionally.
    Whats happening now- is increasingly landlords are seeking 2-3 months deposit, particularly with high-spec'ed units.
    Often, esp. in the major urban areas- but including the likes of West Dublin- corporate lettings are only too happy to pay these deposits- which in turn are forcing the private rental market to accept them too.

We need an independent, equitable, agency to whom these deposits should be lodged.
    We need to get over the let furnished mindset- and increase our supplies of unfurnished lettings.
    We do need to increase deposits- and also tighten up our residential lettings legislation- to safeguard tenants rights, and landlord's property. The current situation whereby some tenants are without heating in the middle of the winter- and some landlords are living in cars, because their tenants are refusing to vacate their properties (this is from 2 threads in this forum in the last week)- are ridiculous in the extreme.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 BeanoI

Just a quick question, I recently got offered to move into an apartment but there is no lease to sign, it's my first time moving out, it's close to home so if I have to move out it's no problem, I just want to know is it ok if I don't sign a lease? Thanks

• Advertisement

BeanoI wrote: »
    Just a quick question, I recently got offered to move into an apartment but there is no lease to sign, it's my first time moving out, it's close to home so if I have to move out it's no problem, I just want to know is it ok if I don't sign a lease? Thanks

Can I ask why there isn't a lease?
    One way or the other- once you've been a tenant for 6 months- you acquire 'Part 4' tenancy rights- minimum rights as specified in the 2004 Residential Tenancies Act (google it for further information).

• Registered Users Posts: 3 BeanoI

Can I ask why there isn't a lease?
    One way or the other- once you've been a tenant for 6 months- you acquire 'Part 4' tenancy rights- minimum rights as specified in the 2004 Residential Tenancies Act (google it for further information).
    I'm not sure the person who is moving out never met the landlord and I enquired about a lease and he stated he never signed one. I might just get landlords number and enquire about same. I may be fulfilling a lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭deisedude

If i signed a years lease over 2 years ago and never signed another one. How much notice must i give when leaving?

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

deisedude wrote: »
    If i signed a years lease over 2 years ago and never signed another one. How much notice must i give when leaving?

56 days

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭deisedude

So it turns out i never signed a lease. I agreed orally to stay for at least a year and have lived in the house for over 2 years. The landlord now says i must give 6 weeks notice and show prospective new tenants the room which means i'll end up paying rent in 2 houses.

Legally where do i stand?

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

So it turns out i never signed a lease. I agreed orally to stay for at least a year and have lived in the house for over 2 years. The landlord now says i must give 6 weeks notice and show prospective new tenants the room which means i'll end up paying rent in 2 houses.

Legally where do i stand?
    You have to give him 56 days notice and pay the rent for that period.
    You don't have to show the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Crunchy Friends

Had a quick look around but couldn't find much info on it - possibly I am looking in the wrong place.
    Can anyone give any info on an appropriate percentage of your wages going on rent?
    The boyfriend is moving out, first time renter and hasn't the foggiest - nor do I obviously :P

He currently lives in South Dublin & the job is in Mulhuddart - so commuting costs may be a factor if he doesn't get somewhere close to Mulhuddart so just trying to figure out all the finances!

Thanks

Had a quick look around but couldn't find much info on it - possibly I am looking in the wrong place.
    Can anyone give any info on an appropriate percentage of your wages going on rent?
    The boyfriend is moving out, first time renter and hasn't the foggiest - nor do I obviously :P

He currently lives in South Dublin & the job is in Mulhuddart - so commuting costs may be a factor if he doesn't get somewhere close to Mulhuddart so just trying to figure out all the finances!

Thanks

A third at most

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭dazey

I am moving out of the parents home, and am looking into a house which is owner occupied. While on one hand I think this could be brilliant in terms of property maintenance (the place looks great on the pictures), on the other hand they could be complete control freaks also.

I am by no means a party animal, but I would like to have 2/3 friends over once a month. This could be for dinner and wine watching telly. I'm in my mid twenties and if I want to go mental I'd head into the town. Appreciate any advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

dazey wrote: »
    I am moving out of the parents home, and am looking into a house which is owner occupied. While on one hand I think this could be brilliant in terms of property maintenance (the place looks great on the pictures), on the other hand they could be complete control freaks also.

I am by no means a party animal, but I would like to have 2/3 friends over once a month. This could be for dinner and wine watching telly. I'm in my mid twenties and if I want to go mental I'd head into the town. Appreciate any advice!

dont go owner occupier , it just brings more issues that wouldnt prop up with renting with others who are not the owners.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

dazey wrote: »

Trust your gut. Many years ago I rented a room with in an owner occupied house and the guy was great. I've had friends be in non-owner occupied houses and had all sorts of issues with housemates acting the d!ck.

Only you know really.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭nobbo

Hi guys. Sorry if this has been asked before but am starting to get a little desperate because I'm not sure what's the right path to go down...and can't really find much info on it.

Basically, I'm letting an apartment from a landlord with a friend, a 3 bed. So we're sub-letting the other room.

We had a nice housemate since we moved in but he recently had to move out. The girl who replaced him is a bit of a nightmare. We are going to get rid of her.

She has no lease or contract with us. We're not going to be d**ks about it, we plan on returning deposit etc, but how much notice are we required to give? If any?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

You're in a licensee arrangement- as the landlord is living in the apartment with you. Legally- the girl as no entitlement to notice- however, it is suggested that 'reasonable notice' be offered her. You can interpret 'reasonable' in any way you like- personally- I'd suggest that the period in which is rent is paid- would be considered reasonable. So- if she pays the rent on a monthly basis- 'reasonable' notice- is a month.

Don't take any crap though- she is a licensee in the owner's property and he (or she) is living there too. She has no rights. She is not a tenant. If she kicks up a fuss- she can be asked to leave summarily.

The owner of the property would be well advised to read up on, and thoroughly familiarise themselves with- the 'rent-a-room' scheme..........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Quick question - when landlords and letting agents ask for a previous landlord reference, do they want a full letter of recommendation or just contact details of a previous landlord? Thanks.

Most people just give a name and contact details.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Most people just give a name and contact details.

Cool, just wanted to be sure to minimise potential wasted time. Cheers.

A Neurotic wrote: »
    Cool, just wanted to be sure to minimise potential wasted time. Cheers.

To be brutally honest- few landlords put any great faith in references- given many landlords will give an excellent written reference to a tenant- just to get the hell rid of them. If they are subsequently contacted further down the road- they are more likely to be honest with you........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭chases0102

Hi folks,

Someone might be able to give a little bit of advice - have been scouring the pages here, and also websites like Threshold and the PRTB, but it can be difficult to grasp.

My partner and I rented a place at end of August 2013. Landlord has informed us that he wants to increase the rent by over 17% from the end of August this year.

We signed a lease at the beginning of tenancy, signed nothing last year.

We are not prepared to pay 1375 per month in this apartment. It has mould and heating issues.

As a result, we are going to respond to him this week that we won't be looking to stay in August, and in fact we want to move out at the end of July.

As regards our deposit, are we in any contravention by giving this notice this week to the landlord? Are we bound by the first lease we signed? Can he take some of our deposit away for re-advertising purposes, etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

You sound good to me.

Make sure you give the correct notice.

Read http://www.prtb.ie/dispute-resolution/disputes/deposit-refund carefully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭chases0102

You sound good to me.

Make sure you give the correct notice.

Read http://www.prtb.ie/dispute-resolution/disputes/deposit-refund carefully.

Cheers for that - will give that a good read.

Thanks again!

Advertisement