Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Addons for java assignment

Options
  • 16-12-2013 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭

Good morning all.

For my main assignment for Java we are working on a program using WolframAlpha.

I would love to hear some suggestions as to what i could do for extra functionality.
    The entire assignment is worth 100 marks, and the extra functionality section is worth 10 marks of that.

The program is to do the following:

1: Prompt user for question and send to WolframAlpha.
    2: Return to user the answer returned, less all the gibberish. (Cleaned up asnwer)
    3: Store questions asked to a .list file
    4: Store answers for each question to .list file
    5: Alert the user if they asked the same question already and return to them the answer for that question.

6: extra functionality for 10 marks.

I'm doing ok with the program as a whole, but would love to hear suggestions on what extra to bolt on!
    (Not looking for code, ideas only)
    Please give me beginner level stuff i can work on.

Cheers lads,

CC.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Good morning all.

For my main assignment for Java we are working on a program using WolframAlpha.

I would love to hear some suggestions as to what i could do for extra functionality.
    The entire assignment is worth 100 marks, and the extra functionality section is worth 10 marks of that.

The program is to do the following:

1: Prompt user for question and send to WolframAlpha.
    2: Return to user the answer returned, less all the gibberish. (Cleaned up asnwer)
    3: Store questions asked to a .list file
    4: Store answers for each question to .list file
    5: Alert the user if they asked the same question already and return to them the answer for that question.

6: extra functionality for 10 marks.

I'm doing ok with the program as a whole, but would love to hear suggestions on what extra to bolt on!
    (Not looking for code, ideas only)
    Please give me beginner level stuff i can work on.

Cheers lads,

CC.

What do you mean by "gibberish"?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

ChRoMe wrote: »
    What do you mean by "gibberish"?

Hi,

Sorry, should have worded that better.

When you ask a question such as "What is the meaning of life"

The answer comes back in the form of:
    <section><title>Input interpretation</title><sectioncontents>Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything</sectioncontents></section><section><title>Result</title><sectioncontents>42
    (according to Douglas Adams' humorous science-fiction novel The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)</sectioncontents></section>

I need to pare that down to:
    42 (according to Douglas Adams' humorous science-fiction novel The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Strip things inside <> using regex

Strip things inside <> using regex

Cheers, will be doing that.

Can i ask for a few suggestions on extra functionality for 10 marks?

Something that will add to the program beyond points 1-5 in my OP.

CC.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Will have a think about it, different formats for the answers? Perhaps something simple and graphical?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

It doesn't have to be features as such. Maybe used Model-View-Controller pattern to separate the business logic from the display so it could easily be converted to an JSP page/App/etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Possible additions:

• Make the feature a Chrome/Firefox addon, so that you press a button in your browser and the prompt appears.
    • Include option (tickbox) to return the first 3 Google responses as well
    • Option to export all questions/answers to Excel/Word/CSV/Text
    • Send a tweet saying "I just searched for xxx on Wolfram Alpha" (I have no idea why anyone would want to do that, but Amazon thinks I'd like to tweet all my purchases, so maybe it's a thing people like)
    • Display links to the related queries as well
    They're just some ideas - no idea how easy or hard they'd be for you.

Thoie wrote: »
    Possible additions:

• Make the feature a Chrome/Firefox addon, so that you press a button in your browser and the prompt appears.
    • Include option (tickbox) to return the first 3 Google responses as well
    • Option to export all questions/answers to Excel/Word/CSV/Text
    • Send a tweet saying "I just searched for xxx on Wolfram Alpha" (I have no idea why anyone would want to do that, but Amazon thinks I'd like to tweet all my purchases, so maybe it's a thing people like)
    • Display links to the related queries as well
    They're just some ideas - no idea how easy or hard they'd be for you.

Hi Thoie,

Point 3 of yours sounds like something i could do.

Cheers,

CC.

Advertisement