Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Php search.. Only show results where all search terms match in a database.

• 05-12-2013 4:32pm

So I've got data added to my database..

ID File Keywords1
    Keywords2 etc...... Maybe 5 columns in total.
    1 a.txt apple banana
    mango
    2 b.txt apple
    mango
    3 c.txt apple
    orange banana

I have a very basic search built that will search for one word from one column and present the results.

Basically, I need a search for "apple" that will give all 3 results but "apple banana" will give 1 and 3.
    Any pointers on what functions to use? I will try and learn it myself if I'm shown in the right direction.. My website idea goes out the window if I can't do it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭mad turnip

SELECT * FROM table WHERE (Keywords1 LIKE '%apple%' OR Keywords2 LIKE '%apple%') AND (Keywords1 LIKE '%banana%' OR Keywords2 LIKE '%banana%')

you can use the function "split" to divide the search query into parts seperated with spaces. Then loop through each "word" and append
    AND (Keywords1 LIKE '%banana%' OR Keywords2 LIKE '%banana%')

to the query everytime a word is encountered. You can also put in some kind of a filter to remove words like:

the, if, of etc

Also I'm not sure where your trying to go with the keywords two column, but it does not seem like the right way to go about it.

This will still only search for one term.. If I enter two terms, there are no results.

$searchterms = explode(" ", $searchq);

$query = mysql_query("Select * from info where
    data LIKE '%searchterms[0]%' and
    data LIKE '%searchterms[1]%''") or die("nope..");

I took out the preg-replace line that only allows characters and numbers but that didn't help..

mad turnip wrote: »
    SELECT * FROM table WHERE (Keywords1 LIKE '%apple%' OR Keywords2 LIKE '%apple%') AND (Keywords1 LIKE '%banana%' OR Keywords2 LIKE '%banana%')

you can use the function "split" to divide the search query into parts seperated with spaces. Then loop through each "word" and append

to the query everytime a word is encountered. You can also put in some kind of a filter to remove words like:

the, if, of etc

Also I'm not sure where your trying to go with the keywords two column, but it does not seem like the right way to go about it.

Ok, I'll look up the split function.. Hmm. The first column would be for initial data and the second column would be for further user or employee revisions..

This will still only search for one term.. If I enter two terms, there are no results.

I took out the preg-replace line that only allows characters and numbers but that didn't help..

does your column data contain both the keywords your searching for?

Have you tried echo'ing your query to what exactly is being sent. I've always found formatting errors in php most common.

I'm not sure what language I'm thinking of but does php's array index start at 1?

mad turnip wrote: »
    does your column data contain both the keywords your searching for?

Have you tried echo'ing your query to what exactly is being sent. I've always found formatting errors in php most common.

I'm not sure what language I'm thinking of but does php's array index start at 1?

Yep, both words are there and are separately searchable.. I'm gonna be away from it now for a while, I'll try again later.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Don't you need $searchterms[0] etc in the query string to do variable substitution? In fact, with the array index, you might need {$searchterms[0]}.

Try to echo $query after the assignment to see what it contains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

You could end up with a horribly long SQL query for your search. Do you need to have Keywords1, Keywords2,... Keywords5 fields?

Anyhow, this function should construct the WHERE clause of your query, as a string, given a space delineated list of keywords as the input:
    [PHP]function db_setSqlWhereClause($keywords) {
    $numberOfCols = 5; // Number of 'KeywordsN' fields, where N is an int.
    $a_keyword = explode(" ", $keywords); // Your keywords as an array.
    $sql = "WHERE "; // Initialize output SQL

foreach ($a_keyword as $kw) {
    for ($i = 0; $i < $numberOfCols; $i++) {
    $sql .= "Keywords".$i." LIKE %'".$kw."%' OR "
    }
    }
    $sql = substr($sql, 0, -4); // Trim off the OR at the end

return $sql;
    }[/PHP]
    Warning: I've not bothered testing, checking or even reading over this. On top of which, I've not touched PHP in a year.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Of course, you shouldn't be concatenating variables into a SQL statement at all; instead you should be using prepared statements for security reasons.

You could end up with a horribly long SQL query for your search. Do you need to have Keywords1, Keywords2,... Keywords5 fields?

Anyhow, this function should construct the WHERE clause of your query, as a string, given a space delineated list of keywords as the input:
    [PHP]function db_setSqlWhereClause($keywords) {
    $numberOfCols = 5; // Number of 'KeywordsN' fields, where N is an int.
    $a_keyword = explode(" ", $keywords); // Your keywords as an array.
    $sql = "WHERE "; // Initialize output SQL

foreach ($a_keyword as $kw) {
    for ($i = 0; $i < $numberOfCols; $i++) {
    $sql .= "Keywords".$i." LIKE %'".$kw."%' OR "
    }
    }
    $sql = substr($sql, 0, -4); // Trim off the OR at the end

return $sql;
    }[/PHP]
    Warning: I've not bothered testing, checking or even reading over this. On top of which, I've not touched PHP in a year.
    I used the guts of this with some google searching and got it finally :D
    oscarBravo wrote: »
    Of course, you shouldn't be concatenating variables into a SQL statement at all; instead you should be using prepared statements for security reasons.
    I'm not sure what you mean unfortunately, I've only got a limited knowledge of these things..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Next time you're asking for help, a "please" and "thank you" couldn't hurt :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭myIdea

I'm not sure what you mean unfortunately, I've only got a limited knowledge of these things..

Basically... if your just learning, its suggested that you learn Today's technique's.

Either of the top two here...
    http://www.php.net/manual/en/mysqlinfo.api.choosing.php

Reason:
    Over the coming months/years (depends on your hosting company) the standard mysql extension will eventually get dropped from servers around the world as they upgrade to PHP 5.5.0 which doesn't support mysql.

Some however may still offer support for mysql, but I wouldn't bank on that and besides, it would be better to learn something new now.

On a personal level, I went with mysqli as I can relate to that easier having used mysql in the past, but that's just me:confused:

For now though, prepared statements are for mysqli and POD.

http://php.net/manual/en/mysqli.prepare.php
    http://it1.php.net/manual/en/pdo.prepare.php

Final thought... create your sites functionality under mysql if you find that easier for the moment and when your happy... convert your sql query's one-by-one to whichever new extension you choose to learn.

You could/can run both database connect scripts while your working on a change over/upgrade.

Hope that makes sense...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

oscarBravo wrote: »
    In a perfect World, PHP support for MySQL stored procedures wouldn't be so ropey, then we wouldn't have to worry about any SQL in the PHP code.
    myIdea wrote: »
    Some however may still offer support for mysql, but I wouldn't bank on that and besides, it would be better to learn something new now.
    I wouldn't hold my breath on backward comparability for mysql vanishing too quickly. The need for 90% of all bespoke PHP sites to have large chunks rewritten, would prove a PR nightmare for the language.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭myIdea

I wouldn't hold my breath on backward comparability for mysql vanishing too quickly. The need for 90% of all bespoke PHP sites to have large chunks rewritten, would prove a PR nightmare for the language.

Yeah I know they'll most likely offer php 5.4.xx for some time to come, with an optional upgrade select or new accounts = new servers running 5.5. I just thought it would be best to encourage @Ads By Google ;) but I guess you have just put his mind at ease :D

Don't forget about sql injection!!!!!!!!

mysql_escape_string

is the function I believe in php!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

If your database has lots of data, the above queries are possible the worst you can use. "Like" searches that match anywhere in the string do not use indexes, and using multiple ones is even worse. If you have > 500k rows, or large columns, I would suggest using a dedicated index, either FullText, or Lucene.

Of course, if you're just playing around, disregard the above.

Lots of stuff to thin about, thanks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭Talisman

Advertisement