Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Little advice needed on purchasing a renault

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

alias no.9 wrote: »
    I'll buy that for particulate filters and the like but not for a flywheel, a flywheel should not be a consumable. This car has 125k kms and is only 5 years old so has had its legs stretched plenty.

Flywheels are a consumable, solid ones car wear just like brake disks, although they do last substantially longer.

Dual mass flywheels are a wear item. The DMF manufacturers even confirm this. They are designed to last approx the life of two clutches if used as per the design brief.

Vehicle manufacturers will not tell you this as it would effect sales if people knew that a 1k part(flywheel and clutch) was designed to wear out.

The same is true of many parts, plug leads on older cars, coilpacks, lambda sensors etc all have finite life spans despite many people thinking they should never need to be changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,263 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Flywheels are a consumable, solid ones car wear just like brake disks, although they do last substantially longer.

Dual mass flywheels are a wear item. The DMF manufacturers even confirm this. They are designed to last approx the life of two clutches if used as per the design brief.

Vehicle manufacturers will not tell you this as it would effect sales if people knew that a 1k part(flywheel and clutch) was designed to wear out.

The same is true of many parts, plug leads on older cars, coilpacks, lambda sensors etc all have finite life spans despite many people thinking they should never need to be changed.

Friction wear would be one thing but DMF's have introduced a whole new failure mechanism with very limited benefit to the user.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Friction wear would be one thing but DMF's have introduced a whole new failure mechanism with very limited benefit to the user.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that there is very little benefit -v- cost advantage to DMF's. But to say DMF's are not a wearable item is untrue because they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,263 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Don't get me wrong, I agree that there is very little benefit -v- cost advantage to DMF's. But to say DMF's are not a wearable item is untrue because they are.
    I'll buy that for particulate filters and the like but not for a flywheel, a flywheel should not be a consumable. This car has 125k kms and is only 5 years old so has had its legs stretched plenty.

I said flywheels should not be a consumable, that they are is the inherrent design flaw. Unnecessary complexity, deliberately created with questionable benefit. Calling it a design flaw is probably kind and the unkind description is not one of incompetance.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭The Tyre Dude

It's a bit of a myth that post 2006 Renaults are reliable, we have a 2006 facelift Megane, we've had 3 front windows replaced, various electrical gremlins, AC issues, a new gearbox and quite a few warranty issues. I dread to think what pre facelift versions were like.

On the upside it has never broken down or failed to start, and is a spacious, refined, comfortable and frugal car (Dci Sport Touring).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

In contrast to Tyre Dude's post our family owned a 2006 Clio from new until 2008 with no problems what so ever not even a window regulator went.

Currently we have a 2011 Clio also from new and for the last year has never missed a beat.

I'd be more than happy to purchase Renaults in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

wonski wrote: »
    Galaxy/Sharan are much bigger inside, i would say it is proper minivan, and it will secure it's value over the time. There are a lot of Scenics for sale for good price, not loads of those Galaxys, this is some indication.

The galaxy /sjaran is a couple of segments up from a scenic and a lot more expensive in the first place . Renault do the espace in that segment. All cars in that larger segment sell in much smaller numbers than cars the size of a scenic , which is why there are much less for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 sammles

I just wanted to thank you for all the advice and opinions, it seems that the renault debate is very subjective and it seems by pure luck you either get an amazing one or a crap one.

I tried and looked at all the cars and I ended up with the renault Grand scenic (I pray it is an amazing one.) I got it for 4600 and out of the cars I looked at and tried it just felt right (I know not a very scientific approach) I bought it with a 3 month warranty too, so any major problems I can go back to the dealer with it.

I did heed all the advice given and appreciate the time paople took to answer me and guide me through my decision, thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭The Tyre Dude

Currently we have a 2011 Clio also from new and for the last year has never missed a beat.

I'd be more than happy to purchase Renaults in the future.

My mother has a 2010 Clio which has been 100% faultless and makes my 2008 Focus seem unrefined and flimsy. Amazing little car. I would have no problem with any Renault post 2008.

Advertisement