Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Moving back to the UK....

Options
  • 20-10-2008 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi All,

After 5 glorious years of living in Ireland (and having a native Irish reg car), my work now want me back in the UK.

I'll be off in Spring next year, but in the meantime I'm looking to sell my Irish car and buy a Uk car to prepare for the move.

Do any of you think that driving the UK reg car over here before I go will be a problem, since the VRT Exempt category on the revenue.ie site says:
    'transfer of business activity' being a reason for exemption?

I've seen a few Garda/customs checkpoints on the way to work here in Dublin and I'm a bit wary...

I actually called into a Garda station to ask the same question, and his blurry response was that I wouldn't get any trouble from it. I'm not so sure though.

I even asked if there was something I could do, such as fill in a form to prove this, or get a letter from my employer stating my move, but he didn't think it was necessary.

Any thoughts?

Cheers !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,616 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Well if the car is registered to a UK company , it is excempt afaik.
    However if you buy it privately and you are still living here under an
    irish address i dont think your covered for excemption.

Best call the VRT office

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

Hi All,

After 5 glorious years of living in Ireland (and having a native Irish reg car), my work now want me back in the UK.

I'll be off in Spring next year, but in the meantime I'm looking to sell my Irish car and buy a Uk car to prepare for the move.

Do any of you think that driving the UK reg car over here before I go will be a problem, since the VRT Exempt category on the revenue.ie site says:
    'transfer of business activity' being a reason for exemption?

I've seen a few Garda/customs checkpoints on the way to work here in Dublin and I'm a bit wary...

I actually called into a Garda station to ask the same question, and his blurry response was that I wouldn't get any trouble from it. I'm not so sure though.

I even asked if there was something I could do, such as fill in a form to prove this, or get a letter from my employer stating my move, but he didn't think it was necessary.

Any thoughts?

Cheers !
    If you have written proof from your company of your transfer date & departure date they can't do you for VRT. They will probably try but if you have the car here less than 2 months before your permanent departure they would be hard pressed to make anything stick. IF you do get stopped just say you are on holiday (I presume you still have a UK license with a UK address on it?).

• Registered Users Posts: 27 englishineire

Thanks for the replies guys and apologies for the delay. It would be a private car unfortunately. Furthermore, I don't have written proof as of yet. It was a verbal agreement with my company back in June.

How did you know about the less than 2 month rule?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Thats an interesting situation. Obviously you need to get your irish car sold so you cannot wait til the last minute to try to sell it.
    I think you should get a letter from your employer stating that they are moving you to the uk on whatever date. Then go to visit revenue and tell them all about your situation. I think if you are straight up with them from the start they would be ok and may give you a 30 day letter to allow you to use the english car here when you buy it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Bad idea. Buy in the UK when you leave permanently, and not before I reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

andrewh5 wrote: »
    If you have written proof from your company of your transfer date & departure date they can't do you for VRT. They will probably try but if you have the car here less than 2 months before your permanent departure they would be hard pressed to make anything stick. IF you do get stopped just say you are on holiday (I presume you still have a UK license with a UK address on it?).
    Are you just making this sh!t up? :mad:

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement