Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

servo problems

Options
  • 04-10-2008 9:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭

breaks are failing on my Hiace van.

the warning light comes on and the breaks go solid at the pedal. With no breaking power.

pulled the vacuum hose to the servo and there seems to be plenty of suck.

no cracks in the hose.

it only happens when the engine is cold.

what should I be looking for??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Probably a hole/split in the diaphragm.

Try and get a listen at the servo, see if you can hear a sucking.

Was there any work done on the servo/master cylinder recently?

EDIT - Can you get someone to check the vacuum at the pipe when the engine is cold and hot? Could possibly be defect with vacuum pump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Probably a hole/split in the diaphragm.

Try and get a listen at the servo, see if you can hear a sucking.

Was there any work done on the servo/master cylinder recently?

EDIT - Can you get someone to check the vacuum at the pipe when the engine is cold and hot? Could possibly be defect with vacuum pump.

seems to suck when cold. breaks where always very sharp on the van . felt a bit wooden. Like on hard with no in between.

once the van has traveled a few miles the problem disappears. And it does not always happen when cold. half the time its fine.

There is a cylindrical box that the hose from the engine goes into and from there there is a pipe to the servo. What would that be?

there is sucking noises from the area but the airbox is in that area also. Its not really possible to know what sound is what.

The cylindrical box is probably your vacuum pump - if it's losing contact with whatever's driving it or the pump is losing pressure, it would cause what you're describing. Strange that it's intermittent, I'd have thought it'd just go!

When you experience the problem, get out and see if there is a vacuum at the pipe. If there is, it's probably a fault with the servo; if not, it's your pump or pipe-work.

One of the toyota experts might be able to advise you better, but you're probably best to bring it to a commercial mechanic or main dealer.

Is there any point serviceing a brake servo.

or is it easyer just to buy one from the brakers

No, if the diaphragm's torn it's got to be replaced.

Price a new one as well, it might'nt be as dear as you think.

• Advertisement

got it sorted. My fan belt was loose and worn.

battery was dead this morn which was odd as I charged the 2 batterys last week.
    The belt was slipping and was not making any odd sounds.

The vacuum pump runs on the same belt.

I bought a second hand servo on ebay . waste of money. My servo is fine

Ya live and learn!

Back onto ebay with the servo, you might be able to recoup most of the cost.

Ya live and learn!

Back onto ebay with the servo, you might be able to recoup most of the cost.

aye. should have replaced the belt 2 years ago . should have copped on to it.

got a mechanic to check it and was advised to get the servo.

we live and learn.

Any one need a cheap servo. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

gsxr1 wrote: »

Any one need a cheap servo. :p

Are you selling them 'wii things' aswell boss?

Advertisement