Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

WiFi intermittently dropping

Options
  • 28-06-2016 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭

Hoping that someone might have some ideas as to how I can address this. It's generally not a big issue except when I use Skype.

My WiFi connection is solid and then suddenly drops for about 20-30 seconds before coming back again. Sometimes this can be repeated 3 or 4 times. Other times I can go for 15-20 minutes with no issues.

Things I've tried so far:

Changed router (tried 3).
    Changed provider.
    Moved house
    Tried all 13 channels on the current router.
    Tried multiple devices.
    Checked that my devices work fine in friend's houses.

I'm guessing that there must be something that we own that's interfering with the WiFi signals but I really don't know what it's likely to be.

Another point to note is that I never noticed a problem in my previous house with a wired connection. In my current place I use powerline adapters for my desktop and I do notice intermittent loss of connection. I can't say whether it's as frequent as the wireless signal as I don't use skype on the desktop.

Any thoughts or ideas on what I can try next?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Move to 5Ghz, job done.

The normal suspects are anything that has a wireless function that doesnt require a licence. TV senders, baby monitors, keyboards, mice, game controllers, microwaves...

Are you using the Homeplugs wireless? If homeplugs connection is unreliable and wireless clients are hopping onto it then that would cause similar behaviour.

Advertisement