Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Still worth buying on PC???

Options
  • 04-05-2015 5:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭

So I've played Skyrim on the xbox for a stupidly large number of hours and loved it, probably my all time favourite game tbh.

Finally have a new laptop that would actually be easily able to run it and now wondering if it's worth the Steam price to buy again.

Are the Mods for PC worth it? I'm struggling to find another similar-ish game to pickup that would offer more...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

I've invested too many hours on PS3 version to move platforms & start all over but the PC version would be best, the graphics & texture mods make it look stunning.

If your a huge elder scrolls fan looking for that next skyrim, then I'm afraid only elder scrolls 6 will sate that appetite. Some other RPGS are great but they just ain't skyrim.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I don't really have a lot of time for the always online and the lack of single player in 6

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

I don't really have a lot of time for the always online and the lack of single player in 6

Elder scrolls online and elder scrolls 6 are not the same game :)

Skyrim was elder scrolls 5, elder scrolls 6 hasn't been made yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Skyrim is totally worth it - plenty of free mods supporting it too, and it's usually cheap on steam. LLast time i seen it on sale it was 12 euro for the game of the year edition

you really cant go wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Yeah I went from 100's of hours on the xbox to the PC and havent looked back since. All the mods make it something spectacular.

• Advertisement

$48 at the moment for GOTY, will wait for the next sale I suppose. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

£8.86 or €12.01 for the legendary edition on Amazon, Boxed copy or £19.99 to get download code if you cant't wait a few days.

Boxed copy installs via steam just like Downloaded. Worth getting it on PC if only for the faster loading screens and modding community.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭diegroblers

There should be a sale on Steam in June. It usually sells then for 66% off at €10.19. And yes, it will be absolutely worth it. Check out some Skyrim communities for recommended mods and such.

With mods, you can not only vastly change the visual appearance of your game, but you can add content such as Falskaar and Elswyr that is almost DLC type mods, that adds new areas, NPC and quests, but you can change the game to such a degree that you will enjoy it again even without new content. Mods such as AFT that allows you to add more followers and a complete management system for them. Alternate Start type mods that allows you to choose where and how you want to start the game, so that you do not have to go through the Helgen scene every time you start. The Paarthurnax dilema allows you to let Paarthy live, but stay with the blades etc. Immersion mods like the Civil War Overhaul that will change things such as if you're not in Stormcloak gear and you're affiliated with the Imperials, they will attack you on sight. So you have to "pretend" to be one of them to get past them. There are also the essential mods of course, like the Unofficial Patches, that fixes loads of glitches.

If you want to start on the modding road though, I would recommend checking out Gopher's guides on YouTube. He will direct you towards Mod Organizer. Really useful tool that allows you to create different save games with different profiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

You might struggle running some of the graphics mods on your laptop depending on specs, might as well check it out what to expect before you buy.

Or if a friend or family have it in there steam account already you could try before you buy

http://store.steampowered.com/promotion/familysharing

Lu Tze wrote: »
    You might struggle running some of the graphics mods on your laptop depending on specs, might as well check it out what to expect before you buy.

Will test it later once home but I reckon should be comfortable; specs:
    Quad Core i7 4720HQ
    Radeon R9 M265X 4GB
    16GB ram

• Advertisement

elfy4eva wrote: »
    £8.86 or €12.01 for the legendary edition on Amazon, Boxed copy .

robbing basta$ds want more than the game costs to ship it :pac:

Will test it later once home but I reckon should be comfortable; specs:
    Quad Core i7 4720HQ
    Radeon R9 M265X 4GB
    16GB ram

try using this website when you get a chance - it should give you a reasonable idea if the game will run well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

robbing basta$ds want more than the game costs to ship it :pac:

If you have anything else to buy, if u make ur order up to £25 amazon do free shipping I think. Good value in making a wishlist and try knocking a few of them off at once :)

try using this website when you get a chance - it should give you a reasonable idea if the game will run well

that website wrecks my head. It loads all weird and cut-off for a start says the laptop passes 12% of the tests to run at a recommended minimum and then goes on below to say everything bar the graphics card is way over requirement.
    Anywhere else I check the card however says it'll run high detail at 49 or so FPS, med at 70+

Also gave me a 12% pass for Southpark but that runs flawlessly so far...

it might be under par for ultra settings with HD or something - if you're passing the minimum with ease you'll run it on high settings fairly easy it just means that anything above that cannot be guaranteed to run at the cards maximum output - so, framerates might suffer from anything above that

game installed, mods queuing,excitement rising

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

I'm so sad I don't like rpg's, I feel as if I'm losing a huge portion of the playable games on steam.

I am considering the Witcher 3 to try get into them. Couldn't play skyrim. Dunno why

Advertisement