Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where were you when ..... ?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

I am 12 and a few months :pac: Not yet worked out how many months make up "a few". :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Drifting into the OT rough here :

A certain O Dog went off to language night school during the summer.

As an exercise in expressing things that happened in the recent past each in the class had to describe some event ( that had happened recently :) )

Mr Dog proceeded halting to relate to the class about the fall of the Berlin wall untill interrupted by another student anouncing :

'Thats not recent, that happened the year I was born'.

I still think of it as recent

........only goes to show

Olddog

( Any 50 year olds on this forum should have an 'N' plate avatar )

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

All users of this forum are aged "old". There is no other age here. How old am I? I'm old. How old are you? You're old. This is why the forum exists.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,012 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Yeah, well I'm doing old old this morning. Could be flu :( or maybe i just need breakfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭cml387

What a strange time. I remember the first I heard of a moving statue was slightly before Ballinspittle.

I was told by someone who had talked to someone who swore that the statue of the Virgin Mary in Kinnegad church had leant down and spread out her arms towards the congregation.:eek:

I'm sure it was slightly after this that Ballinspittle happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 upyaboya

where were u when nelsons pillar went up, i was walking home from clery s ballroom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Asleep in my bed when it actually happened. Next morning it was on the news and I had to walk past it on my way to secretarial college. Everyone stood around the rubble in silence. There was a very eerie silence, and unlike popular belief, no whoops or cheers. It was a very scary time. Over the next couple of years we experienced several bomb warnings on our street with the gardai knocking on everyone's doors and getting us to either get out or sit on our floors. I remember my poor arthritic mother trying to sit on the floor and then later trying to get up again. All the bomb warnings were false. Eejits had the guards, ambulances and fire brigade all running round in circles and everyone terrified. One day in work I had another eejit ring up, I was a receptionist at the time, he said 'there is a brown package on the floor behind you, it's going to explode in three minutes'. I was frozen with terror. Turned out to be a guy from a suppliers who had delivered the package earlier and saw the manager put it on the floor behind me. One of our store men was in on (the joke!) and arrived in time to stop me from screaming. Happy days eh? :mad: Bloody Not!

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭FueledbyCoffee

I remember being in a Catholic run primary school and there were statues all over the place. Used to be terrified if I had to do a message for the teacher walking by those statues freaked me out in case one was moving or crying.

They fulfilled their purpose then. Watching everyone, making sure ye were all behaving yourselves. We went on a cottage holiday many years ago, there was a picture of the sacred heart on the wall. Our family are from a non-holy picture home. The eyes unnerved me, they seemed to follow me around the room. I felt guilty all the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭FueledbyCoffee

It was serious panic, adrenalin pumping, sweating just afraid of my life I'd see something. Laughing at it now but when you're a kid it's terrifying.

Although I have to say Holy pics and statues still freak me out a bit in houses too

• Advertisement

It was serious panic, adrenalin pumping, sweating just afraid of my life I'd see something. Laughing at it now but when you're a kid it's terrifying.

Although I have to say Holy pics and statues still freak me out a bit in houses too

Can't say I had that excuse as I was in my thirties at the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

I was armed with a brand new electronics qualification and couldn't get an interview. So, when a friend said he wanted some built-in furniture in his half-converted attic, I volunteered. The job also entailed looking after his two rottweillers who patrolled his back garden. This was a pleasure for me but, I was warned, when they approach, you MUST stroke the male first, then the female and then the male again. Otherwise all Hell would break loose.

One day, working away, the doorbell rang and two gorthee, aged about 15 or 16 in their brand new tunics, explained that there had been a kidnapping and asked if I'd mind allowing them in for a quick search. "Of course, guards," I said. Well, one gorthah asked, since I wasn't the owner, what I was doing there so I brought him up to the attic to show him while the second gorthah checked the ground floor.

I then heard a slight "click" and thought "Hmmm, what's that?" "Oh my God, the dogs!" I completely forgot about the dogs and the "click" was the security sensor on the patio door indicating it had been opened. The gorthah and I fought each other to get down the stairs and into the garden.

Well, I could see a wall, a rottweiller on his hind legs with front paws on the wall and something dark blue sandwiched between the wall and the dog's chest. The female was using the upturned gorthah hat as a cross between a frisbee and a portaloo.

I can't remember the dog's name but I shouted it with as much authority as I could. He immediately climbed down and came over to me for his chin-rub.

If I live to be 100 I'll never forget the sight of the gorthah trying to hold back the tears as he assessed the grass-stains, claw marks, mud and slobber all over his face, his beautiful shirt and tunic, trousers, shoes......

The other "pristine" gorthah, who had been with me in the attic, was struggling to control laughter, which the female dog found amusing and trotted over to him. "Oh lovely big girl you are, aren't you ohhhhh Je$u$....get him off meeeeeeee".

The male rottie weighed about 10 stone or so but, with that huge chest and on his hind legs, his centre of gravity was very high, too high for the gorthah to support, so down he went onto the muddy lawn - splat! "Get him off spit spit me....Jay$u$...uuugh....spit spit.....Gawwwwwwd."

No bodily harm was done - the dogs were boisterous but gentle, in their own way! We cleaned up the uniforms as best we could but, really, they were only fit for the bin.

Their investigations for that day were over several hours early so I can't help thinking that the rotties and I may have delayed the release of Dr. Herema by those several hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

upyaboya wrote: »
    where were u when nelsons pillar went up, i was walking home from clery s ballroom

I was in my bed in the digs in Phobsboro and heard it.
    A few days previously I passed it and thought about climbing it as I hadn't done so for some time. I decided not to, thinking I would do it another day. There was to be no other day. While the destruction didn't rank with all the murders committed later, it was one of the most ignorant acts ever done here by a bunch of yobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Where were you when you heard that the Argentinians had invaded the Falklands?

In bed. Turned the radio on sleepily, and heard this. Wondered how the hell they had crossed the Atlantic and got to the Sheplands without anyone noticing. Yes I thought the Falklands were somewhere to the north of Scotland.

Felt like a right eejit later. Then discovered I wasn't alone :D

Who did you discover you were sleeping with?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

CUCINA wrote: »
    Where were you when you first heard that Elvis had died?

First I heard about it was when I was on a night out with work colleagues. We were in a cabaret venue in Portmarnock and as the waiter came to our table to collect glasses he said, "that's terrible about Elvis, isn't it?".
    I remember we were all stunned when he told us, definitely took the edge off our night of fun!
    Almost equally hard to believe now is that it was 38 years ago...jeezz, I feel old...maybe that's because I am...well sort of...

I had a paper round when I was 8/9, and remember a headline in the Evening Press shortly before he died. "Elvis Eating Himself To Death" Looking back now I must have been a fairly thick 8 or 9 year old, because my first thought was I hoped he didn't eat his fingers or he wouldn't be able to play the guitar. :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Re Elvis.

We (7 of us) were on holiday in a 4 berth caravan that my Dad had installed what we called 'Roots' bunkbeds, modelled on the coffin ships to fit us all in.

We were listening to the radio and Larry Gogan announced it at ten to eleven. At eleven we turned over to Radio Luxembourg, where they claimed to be the first in Europe with the news. but we knew the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Pulsating Star

The day of the announcement of Princess Diana's death is the one that will always stick with me.
    I was working on a new wing to Chelmsford hospital and I had the place to myself for the weekend. I rarely had a radio with me at work but I had gone to the trouble of organising one,long leads,and transformer and was looking forward to cranking up the volume while I ran around on price work. I was buzzing!
    Got set up on the morn, about to get stuck in, switched it on. - What?

Dum dum ,,dumdum, dum dum dumdum, Chopins funeral march and all sorts of somber stuff,,,,all day long, on every station I could get.

Every station - all day - what a downer.

Can't remember where I was that day. Just remember being in shock over the whole thing. I recorded the whole funeral. Will probably never look at it again though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

The day of the announcement of Princess Diana's death is the one that will always stick with me.
    I was working on a new wing to Chelmsford hospital and I had the place to myself for the weekend. I rarely had a radio with me at work but I had gone to the trouble of organising one,long leads,and transformer and was looking forward to cranking up the volume while I ran around on price work. I was buzzing!
    Got set up on the morn, about to get stuck in, switched it on. - What?

Dum dum ,,dumdum, dum dum dumdum, Chopins funeral march and all sorts of somber stuff,,,,all day long, on every station I could get.

Every station - all day - what a downer.

I remember that day distinctly meself, (well sort of.......), i was at the U2 gig in the Old Lansdowne Road the night before , cracking gig, was near the front of the stage with 2 mates who i was renting a house with in Swords

Was out of it after too may sherberts and when I woke up next day around middday, i was alone in the house as 2 lads went home for the Sunday Mammy dinner. Unfortunately for me, since I was one of the many "country cousins" who was up in the "big smoke", i couldnt avail of this and so had planned to head down to "The Lord Mayors" to watch a footy match and get some soakage.

I switched on the telly onto BBC and bleary eyed, saw the Union Jack been flown at half mast, with "God Save The Queen" been blasted out.

Very surreal moment it was, and of course yours truly,the first thought that comes into my head says:

"Ah for f***s sake, i bet the Liverpool match will be called off".

I was never renowned for my timing!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

Id been at the U2 gig the night before and had a terrible migraine after it so I went straight home to bed and woke up the next day with a much milder hangover than Id expected.

Then my bf at the time came in and told me that he heard on the radio that Princess Diana had been in a car accident, a while later we knew she was dead. It was very sad.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I went online and an Australian friend contacted me on ICQ (!) with the message 'Did you hear about Lady Di and Dodi?' I thought it was the start of one of his crap jokes, but sadly, it wasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

Remember in the mid 80s and a Traffic light was put our of action as a result?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Remember in the mid 80s and a Traffic light was put our of action as a result?

Oh yes! My brother was very upset that he'd slept through it! :D

Advertisement