Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to extend upc tv box cable

• 01-11-2014 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

hi

the upc tv point is in the hallway and i have the tv in the sitting room , upc want to charge me €80 to send out an engineer to fix it , i guess by adding another tv point , i wonder if i can get a 10m aerial cable to use instead of the upc cable that comes with the horizon box ,will that work !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Yes it should work providing you use a good quality cable...UPC use good quality cable similar to CT100 or WT100 which is what you should use as a minimum.....

• Registered Users Posts: 14 saturday17

i got a cable but i dont know which type it is , i'll try to do it tomorrow and see how it goes .
    thanks for the reply

saturday17 wrote: »
    i got a cable but i dont know which type it is , i'll try to do it tomorrow and see how it goes .
    thanks for the reply

There should be a number stamped somewhere on the side such as CT100...RG6 etc....

well it worked , everything is working fine tv & wifi , i used this cable from argos Philex TV Aerial Extension Kit - 15m (i cant post links as a new member of boards )
    now i want to get what i have paid for , the wifi speed is 70mb down from 200mb, upc didnt send me a splitter ,i'll wait till i get one and go back to using the modem for the internet and horizon box for tv .
    do you reckon i should get a better cable for the tv connection ! and if yes what do you recommend ( a link will be much appreciated )
    i'll consider buying a signal booster ,but first i'll wait and see how things will go when i go back to using the modem if the speed reaches the 200mb or not .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

That's 15M of pure shyte cable. Seriously, if its not one of the standards of cable posted already in this thread then dont use it, you need really really good cable to get 200 meg internet signal strengths.

Also, whatever you do, Never, ever hook a powered signal booster to a UPC cable.

• Advertisement

The speeds you get on your computer is determined by the type of network card in your computer you nerd a gigabit card to be able to get over 100 mb

and wifi speed of 70 is actually a really fantastic speed...

of course 70mb is very good and i consider it to be high speed , but i'm paying for 200mb , and in fairness to upc i was getting 200+ but by using the modem and rj45 cable .

you can never get 200 over wireless....That can only be got with a cable and a gigabit Ethernet card.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

70 is about as high as you are going to get on wifi unless you live in the middle of nowhere and have very good chipsets in everything; even then I don't think the box can push much more than that anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

you can never get 200 over wireless....That can only be got with a cable and a gigabit Ethernet card.

802.11ac will do over a gigabit. You'll need a router and a device that supports it, but it can be done.

70 was about as much as I ever got off the UPC box though.

AC wont actually give you over a gigabit throughput so you are simply making the same incorrect assumption about ac that people have about wireless N between what the advertised speeds are and what you actually get. Realsticlly 3-400 would be the absolute top end of what a home user could expect from ac. So yes, an ac router wired to the horizon box could give you your full 200 meg to an ac enabled phone or whatnot but really, in real world terms the differnece between 70 and 200 on these devices in unnoticible for practially all normal useage.

back to using the upc router for wired broadband and i'm getting 205mb , with the wifi speed to a laptop is about 50-70mb ,i cant complain . thank you upc .

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Eureka _FX

Hi Wabbit Ears

Why cant you add a power signal booster?

Have cable coming in (Cable only) downstairs reception acceptable, upstairs unwatchable. Im going to try to rewire using the above mentioned better quality cables, but thought if that wouldnt work my next step would be a better splitter or a booster.

TIA

EF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

Eureka _FX wrote: »
    Why cant you add a power signal booster?

Have cable coming in (Cable only) downstairs reception acceptable, upstairs unwatchable. Im going to try to rewire using the above mentioned better quality cables, but thought if that wouldnt work my next step would be a better splitter or a booster.

What kind of splitter are you currently using, how many outputs? Presumably it's in the room at the main TV point & then cables running off to other rooms?

Don't see how there'd be a problem replacing it with an amplifier in that case, if necessary. And it's just for the analogue TV channels?

Advertisement