Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

War Thunder first tank gameplay

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,034 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

So I've played a bit more, unlocked a StuG.

The handling still bugs me greatly, terrain either consists of glass or metre deep mud, with no in between. Maybe it's just the Panzer 2 asuf C, time will tell.

The tech trees seem either needlessly pedantic or random and unconnected. Does it really need all 6 ausf's of StuG?

I also wasn't awarded the premium tank the patch notes promised. But instead the welcome back and starting out bonuses gave me enough eagles to buy the same DAK Panzer 2 ausf C premium.

On the topic of premiums, their logic regarding them is tenuous. In WoT they're usually the freaks and oddities. But in WT they're the same tanks as normal but with a different paint coat, or just the command edition of a normal tank.

Overall WoT seems to just be better thought out and structured from day 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

played about an hour and left it at that.

the tech trees alone were enough to turn me off the game for good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Planes in Tank game... Feck off... I played a match and did well. Then I blue up for no reason. Turns out a plane just blew me up. Why? **** you thats why. As a tank player I have no way defend myself from it and it just feels like a cheap death. Like kill streaks in Cod games.

I'd never play under planes in a tank. The only things that give you a hope for survival down on the ground would be things like jeeps by virtue of pure speed.

On a side note, thanks to the op for getting me hopelesly addicted to the planes again. ;)

Edit: Jeeps, soilders and other ground forces might be the way to go. Things like Puma scout cars and half-tracks are never coming to WOT becuase the devs don't want(or the engine cant handle) wheel'd vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

come on, the havok engine is only 10 years old, these things take time to iron out :cool:

in fairness, wg are supposed to be changing the wot game engine eventually.. patch 15.11 maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

copeyhagen wrote: »
    come on, the havok engine is only 10 years old, these things take time to iron out :cool:

in fairness, wg are supposed to be changing the wot game engine eventually.. patch 15.11 maybe

To make it worse, 360 wot engine has some really nice eye candy, sounds and weather effects that pc version can only dream off... Go figure...

And what's the story with Hd models? Did they abandoned it now? It was a step in to right direction, but it almost feels like that they don't bother with it anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,034 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

9.2 has some in it, which ones hasn't been said yet. But some of them just aren't ready yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Spear wrote: »
    gave me enough eagles

Is that the name of the actual currency?

Aenaes wrote: »

It's golden eagles and silver lions, being the premium and standard currencies respectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

So I've played a bit more, unlocked a StuG.

The handling still bugs me greatly, terrain either consists of glass or metre deep mud, with no in between. Maybe it's just the Panzer 2 asuf C, time will tell.

Is this in arcade or realistic? The panzer 2c is a very fast tank but I'm not sure if its crazy slippy, but I mostly only play realistic where the tank handling is fine for the most part.
    The tech trees seem either needlessly pedantic or random and unconnected. Does it really need all 6 ausf's of StuG?

? we only have 2 stugs, they listed in very early tech tree that they'd add more but they've since stated that they've moved away from that tech tree for now as they'll be adding armoured cars like the puma and greyhound and halftracks (alreayd added the AA halftrack). As for those 2 stugs there is a very clear difference between the two.
    I also wasn't awarded the premium tank the patch notes promised. But instead the welcome back and starting out bonuses gave me enough eagles to buy the same DAK Panzer 2 ausf C premium.

If you already had been given a free premium plane you dont get the free tank. (patch notes said this)
    On the topic of premiums, their logic regarding them is tenuous. In WoT they're usually the freaks and oddities. But in WT they're the same tanks as normal but with a different paint coat, or just the command edition of a normal tank.

Yeah war thunder doesnt tend to do oddities, premiums tend to either be captured vehicles or watered down varients for grinding. Tanks have been weird as the only captured vehicle to show up was the sherman for the germans so most of the tanks have been the watered down varients.

because one of the game modes is garage battles there is less emphasis in war thunder on single unique premium vehicles and more on ones to either help round out an airforce or to be a solid grinding vehicle that will help someone level quicker but is not distinctly strong to be an auto win (though they have failed at this when they forgot to apply the same nerf to a premium varient of a plane for a while and american spitfires got the knickname *spacefire* and were hated by everybody.)

saying that there have been a few unique premium planes (primarily with the americans) and I imagine in time similar will appear for tanks.

As for the numerous varients of the same tank models in the game, thats two fold, one side is again one of the main modes is garage battles so there is not the same emphasis on a single tank when leveling as there is in world of tanks. You dont need to level up the tank prior to the one you want, you can unlock it and never use it again (which describes most people use of the panzer 2 F) or you can use it in combination with other tanks in arcade mode.

The other side is realistic/simulator where the differences might seem minute but actually make a really big deal in those game modes. There are 4 varients of the panther but between them 1 doesnt have access to composite ammo, 2 have a very specific weakpoint in their frontal armour while 2 fix this weak point, 1 is much faster then the others and 1 has 20mm more armour then the rest in its front.

They are minor, and in arcade might not make of a difference cause you could take all 4 in arcade, in realistic though they are very clear advantages, disadvantages.

As for planes, yeah they can be very strong, but they cant spot you unless an enemy tank spots you for them which makes them bombing you much harder, there are anti-air vehicles in the game and with the exception of heavy tanks and heavy tank destroyers, tanks get 2 respawns while planes only get 1. But I understand mileage can vary depending on your teammates etc

eagles are premium currency, lions are standard

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    Is this in arcade or realistic? The panzer 2c is a very fast tank but I'm not sure if its crazy slippy, but I mostly only play realistic where the tank handling is fine for the most part.

Just arcade to start out with. I doubt the realistic/sim players need me mucking it up for them yet.
    ? we only have 2 stugs, they listed in very early tech tree that they'd add more but they've since stated that they've moved away from that tech tree for now as they'll be adding armoured cars like the puma and greyhound and halftracks (alreayd added the AA halftrack). As for those 2 stugs there is a very clear difference between the two.

The long term tree I had seen had 6, A,C,F and three variants of G, with the difference between those only being the presence of sideskirts, or the latter mantlet (saukopf versus earlier triangular monobloc). Moving away from that was the right choice.

If you already had been given a free premium plane you dont get the free tank. (patch notes said this)

I shouldn't have gotten the plane previously as I've never played the planes. Nor can I find any premium plane listed when I checked, as this possibility did occur to me.

• Advertisement

Just arcade to start out with. I doubt the realistic/sim players need me mucking it up for them yet.

ahh ok that explains it, arcade mode plays it much looser with the physics then realistic in numerous ways its one of the key differences, you'll find after the panzer 2c they tend to get much more stable, but arcade will always give a bit more ompf into the tanks speed.

the other being the targetting X is not present in arcade nor the rangefinder so players actually need to judge distances themselves. Big part of the thrill especially on the large map Kursk where you are engaging over 1km away at times.

The long term tree I had seen had 6, A,C,F and three variants of G, with the difference between those only being the presence of sideskirts, or the latter mantlet (saukopf versus earlier triangular monobloc). Moving away from that was the right choice.

its both a hangover from the game's design approach to aircraft where there were numerous varients of the same aircraft all treated as individual aircraft (109 G2, 109 G6 109 G10) but it's also a fact with aircraft that it tends to be very clear what the differences between those 3 planes very quickly and its why right now a lot of players would say for its level the G2 is the best of those three planes while the G10 is the worse, despite the G10 performing best of the three on paper (better engine, can carry 30mm cannons and better dive handling) between its matchmaking and the shift in combat a G10 is a lot less useful in a late tier 4 match where large formations of b17s are common and a 109 is less effective then a fw 190 then a G2 is in a high tier 3 match where americans tend to rely on p38s and hellcats which a G2 can outclimb and as long as a 109 is putting pressure from above you can isolate and kill those planes.

It's the same with tanks that you can have variants and while its not as immediately clear what the differences are there are some very clear differences in performance and how something like the sideskirts can affect gameplay. panzer 3M is much more effective then its earlier counterparts because you are more likely to run into russian tank destroyers shooting HEAT (SU 122) and the 3M with its side skirts can actually deflect a heat round much better while the 3L will get completely destroyed.

I shouldn't have gotten the plane previously as I've never played the planes. Nor can I find any premium plane listed when I checked, as this possibility did occur to me.

It sounds like a bug that you might want to raise with the developers if its that much of an issue, but do double check you dont own one of the tier 1 planes, even if you've played tanks before this patch it would still have given you the tier 1 german or russian plane (the german 1 actually being italian though)

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    It sounds like a bug that you might want to raise with the developers if its that much of an issue, but do double check you dont own one of the tier 1 planes, even if you've played tanks before this patch it would still have given you the tier 1 german or russian plane (the german 1 actually being italian though)

I've got two German reserve planes, He-51 variants, and three Russian reserve, all I-15 variants. It's the same on the other nations, all reserve craft. I'm not that bothered either way. It's only a low level premium in the end.

Having same tank or plane with different modifications is still lazy and money grabbing.
    It would work a lot better if it was just and upgrade, not a whole new plane. Right now you get pretty much same tank, but with tiny bit better gun and you have to grind all upgrades again.

I do like how you can play any tank and still get xp towards unlocking other tanks, that are not direct upgrade, but at the same time it's a kick in a teeth when they force you to research 6 tanks that you don't have interest in and actually buy them too!
    I guess both games have to have ways of making you to spend money. Wot way is not ideal buy long shot too. For example grinding all line of light and medium tanks so you could get tier 10 heavy tank.

On the other note, WT runs like a pig on PS4 and almost unplayable. Frame rate is just horrible and in some cases is a pure slide show. I would actually play it on PS4 and leave wot on pc, but I can't just deal with that performance.

Having same tank or plane with different modifications is still lazy and money grabbing.
    It would work a lot better if it was just and upgrade, not a whole new plane. Right now you get pretty much same tank, but with tiny bit better gun and you have to grind all upgrades again.

I guess this will be just an issue that we agree to disagree on. I dont think it's lazy or moneygrabbing when each tank has a unique model, unique performance and unique matchmaking and sometimes even unique upgrades. But I feel this attitude depends on where one is coming from, as I've played (and almost maxed) the aviation side of war thunder before tanks was released I'm rather well versed in how much a different model can be and how it can affect the game (the P63 A10 is still one of the best planes for tier 3 america and the p63 A5 and C5 are not despite being just different models.) but I imagine one would feel very different coming from Wot and this is just going to be something we disagree on and will go round and round
    I do like how you can play any tank and still get xp towards unlocking other tanks, that are not direct upgrade, but at the same time it's a kick in a teeth when they force you to research 6 tanks that you don't have interest in and actually buy them too!

Yeah this is one of those awkward problems, I understand why they did it, but I do agree how they did it is not great. Part of me misses the old country system where you didnt grind individual planes but whole countries and unlocked numerous planes at each level.

I guess both games have to have ways of making you to spend money. Wot way is not ideal buy long shot too. For example grinding all line of light and medium tanks so you could get tier 10 heavy tank.

I will admit one of the main factors that put me off WOT was it's grind, I got as far as tier 6 germany medium tanks tier 5 german and russian tank destroyers and tier 4 american artillery and I just gave up after that, I just found the grind took too long and I would get stuck working on a tank I hated for so long to try and get the tank I wanted, or that to afford a new tank I'd either have to sell my old one or grind even longer.

War thunder's more laxed approach on grinding appealled to me, unlocking six tanks didnt bother me cause it allowed me to play different tanks while grinding towards the same goal over wot's more direct route.
    On the other note, WT runs like a pig on PS4 and almost unplayable. Frame rate is just horrible and in some cases is a pure slide show. I would actually play it on PS4 and leave wot on pc, but I can't just deal with that performance.

thats sad to hear, dont own a ps4 myself so cant comment, but I was enjoying the injection of new players into the community.

I didn't quite realise how small Gaijin are. There's only 60 employees in total. This may explain why they're more willing to re-use models so much, as it avoids a lot of workload. Hence also many of their plane models are inherited from Birds of Prey. I think that in my case at least I had expected them to be more productive as I had assumed from the modern game engine that they were on the same scale as larger companies.

I didn't quite realise how small Gaijin are. There's only 60 employees in total. This may explain why they're more willing to re-use models so much, as it avoids a lot of workload. Hence also many of their plane models are inherited from Birds of Prey. I think that in my case at least I had expected them to be more productive as I had assumed from the modern game engine that they were on the same scale as larger companies.

When 60 people dev team became "small"? I dont thing it is good to use big overblown triple A studios fed by Publishers as a "standard". Keep in mind thats 60 crazy efficient russians too. :pac:

That's not sixty devs though, it includes all their staff, so there's accountants/managers/HR etc in that too. WG have 2800 employees by comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Is there infantry in WT? If not, it doesn't make alot of sense to me to be adding scout cars and halftracks.

Aenaes wrote: »
    Is there infantry in WT? If not, it doesn't make alot of sense to me to be adding scout cars and halftracks.

not player controlled infantry but there are infantry of sorts. A big part of War Thunder in all it's game modes have been the ai units, Artillery positions and supply trucks etc that players could go for to win the game.

This is pencilled to cross over into tanks in the same fashion, as it currently stands though only 1 map is set up in this fashion, Kursk which contains numerous anti tank gun, AA and artillery emplacements that need to be cleared out to capture the objective or complete the bonus objective. Scout cars like the puma would be very effective in its current incarnation with their speed and ability to quickly destroy artillery positions.

Also Halftracks will come mostly in anti-air (already in the game) and in anti-tank variants for early tiers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I must say I've been having a lot of fun with this and enjoying it far more than I ever did WoT. Although, in the interest of full disclosure, I haven't played WoT in about 2 years so I have no idea what state it's currently in.

I really like the lack of a HP system meaning that a well placed shot can destroy a tank in one hit, or indeed a well concealed tank can be virtually impossible to kill without maneuvering to a better position. I also love the subtle strengths and weaknesses of each variant that lead to very distinct play styles for each one, along with the fact that if I don't like a variant I am not obliged to play with it in order to research to the next tier.

It's the first F2P game since Mechwarrior Online that I've actually been prepared to put some cash into.

One thing I find off putting is the disparity between Russian and German aircraft. I was working my way through the German fighter trees rather slowly and painfully, getting murdered at every turn. I just assumed I was a horrifically bad pilot, until I tried Russian aircraft and am now murdering everything in an I-15! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

It's the first F2P game since Mechwarrior Online that I've actually been prepared to put some cash into.

Off topic but man I've tried a couple of times to get into MWO. Makes no freaking sense to me.

Off topic but man I've tried a couple of times to get into MWO. Makes no freaking sense to me.

Yeah it's probably not that great a game in truth, a large part of my good will towards it probably comes from sentimentality since I loved the older MechWarrior and MechCommander games growing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Yeah it's probably not that great a game in truth, a large part of my good will towards it probably comes from sentimentality since I loved the older MechWarrior and MechCommander games growing up.

I love Mechwarrior but from a noobs perspective I've no idea what's going on from trying to sort out loadouts to doing effective damage and so on. So far most games I've played involve a few minutes of staring at enemy mechs in the distance you can't shoot followed by 'incoming missile' alerts and then getting shot to **** despite being behind cover.... I've been trying there all evening to play it and just gave up in disgust. It's not noob friendly at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I bought the original maximum package (4 gold mechs for 150 USD or what ever the price tag was as I could not make up my mind which one I wanted) but I've not gone back to play it. I'm a tad annoyed with the number of new money mechs released since to say the least and the fact there's no focus on the game and all on making more money mechs peeved me off that I'm simply waiting at this stage for an official release (and regretting funding them as I did back then).

I did the same with the Phoenix package that they brought out late last year. In fairness, I probably got my money's worth and will get more out of it in future, but I've taken an extended break to let them get community warfare in, since there's been a dearth of new content apart from just... more mechs.

With regard to it not being noob friendly, you're right, it's definitely not. The interface is pretty clumsy for a start. I did find it to be worth sticking with though as it's quite tactical and it's great fun to tinker with and optimise your mechs for your style of combat. There's a great website called MechSpecs.com where people share their loadouts and have them rated which is a good place to start if you're struggling in that regard.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Same with myself. I loved both of those games and have reinstalled them a couple of times for nostalgia. (I have read all 50+ BattleTech books and have even kept my old Technical Readouts from the 1990's when I played the board game)

But I didn't 'get' MWO. It felt awkward and they really seem to be milking the players with all the new mech and 'unique' variants that are thrown out every few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

MWO didnt work well with a joystick when I tried it, very much designed for a mouse. This turned me right off it.

Going to try WT today as months later WoT still runs like ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

I must say I've been having a lot of fun with this and enjoying it far more than I ever did WoT. Although, in the interest of full disclosure, I haven't played WoT in about 2 years so I have no idea what state it's currently in.

I really like the lack of a HP system meaning that a well placed shot can destroy a tank in one hit, or indeed a well concealed tank can be virtually impossible to kill without maneuvering to a better position. I also love the subtle strengths and weaknesses of each variant that lead to very distinct play styles for each one, along with the fact that if I don't like a variant I am not obliged to play with it in order to research to the next tier.

One thing I find off putting is the disparity between Russian and German aircraft. I was working my way through the German fighter trees rather slowly and painfully, getting murdered at every turn. I just assumed I was a horrifically bad pilot, until I tried Russian aircraft and am now murdering everything in an I-15! :pac:

Different planes at different tiers are better. The Russians are pretty solid and the best at the start. The British at spitfire tier one are good and hold solid from there. The Americans kick in later,the Aerocobra up are pretty great. The Japanese bombers are awful at early tiers but the later ones are suppose to be great. The Germans have a feel, I liked some more that others.
    So it all kind of evens out in some way.

One thing I find off putting is the disparity between Russian and German aircraft. I was working my way through the German fighter trees rather slowly and painfully, getting murdered at every turn. I just assumed I was a horrifically bad pilot, until I tried Russian aircraft and am now murdering everything in an I-15!

Depends on a lot of factors

Firstly in arcade Russians are strong in almost all levels because if infinite ammo, Russian planes carry big guns that hit hard and fast but carry little ammo putting points in your reload speed makes for dangerous ruskies.

But arcade you just need to understand what you are firing, how much of it you have before reloading and how tight you can turn, once you know that not much more

Realistic though is much more demanding

Germans are weak early tier but get quite strong midtier when your teams start consisting of 109s and fw190s and nothing else. The 109 out climbs almost everything at each of its tier and the fw enjoys excellent roll and heavy firepower

When you start seeing a lot of b17s that's when you research the me410 as they currently out turn the p51 and murder b17s

Americans suffer initially from being a very diverse nation they have all sorts of planes which makes their teams very hit and miss but they also have the best bombers in the game.

Uk is just awesome for spitfires. All of them, early ones can tear off a wing turning too tight diving too fast but every spit has some part of it that makes it a charm

Japan is just awesome dogfighting, best turning planes in the game (all of them, including the bombers and heavy fighters) but sloooow

Russia in realistic hit hard but can run out of ammo or steam very quickly if you are not careful, tend to be more sniper like then other nations

• Advertisement

I never played arcade, only realistic. I still found it much easier to get kills in the Russian aircraft. I couldn't kill anything in the Bf 109 for whatever reason.

Advertisement