Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Call for Double Penalty points on Bank Holiday weekends

Options
  • 03-06-2011 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭

http://breakingnews.ie/ireland/double-penalty-points-on-bank-holiday-weekends-say-transport-operators-507638.html
    The Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport is calling for penalty points to be doubled during Bank Holiday weekends.

The organisation, which represents operators in the transport industry, said similar measures had already been put in place in Australia and would saves lives on Irish roads too.

Twenty-eight people have died and 51 have been injured in the past five years over the June Bank Holiday weekend alone.

CEO of the transport group Gerry Lawlor said the increase in penalty points would act as a deterrent to dangerous driving.

I'm starting to think they just dont want people driving on Bank Hols ... period :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Well, I know if i was the type of person inclined to speed,I definitely wouldn't if there was a chance of being caught and getting double the usual points.

Do you not think so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

If you had 2 points already and were caught on a bank holiday weekend with no NCT you'd be off the road :D.

Double the fine maybe - not the points!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Or we could just halve the penalty points the rest of the time?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Something is either dangerous and worth the points or it isn't. I don't see what difference the time of year makes. If they have to change it for bank holidays that to me is admitting that it's not good enough the rest of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

OSI wrote: »
    Yes, because the Aussies are the perfect country to model our contries laws on.
    The same country that doesn't even have an 18's rating for games meaning a large number of them are banned.

Or a country that locks up children and deports them to a third country.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-13637307

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The Chartered Institute of blah blah blah...

What a pompous title to give yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭barrmur

Why not. People dont seem to be getting the message. On the M50 this morning a woman driving an Audi in the middle lane weaving over white lines on both sides. Why you may ask? The silly bitch was to busy doing her make up. Any idea where I can report this cow who was oblivious to the fact that she might end up killing someone. Have the licence plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

barrmur wrote: »
    Why not. People dont seem to be getting the message. On the M50 this morning a woman driving an Audi in the middle lane weaving over white lines on both sides. Why you may ask? The silly bitch was to busy doing her make up. Any idea where I can report this cow who was oblivious to the fact that she might end up killing someone. Have the licence plate.

In this speed obsessed nation of ours, I doubt the Gardai, the RSA or Noel Brett himself cares about people swerving all over the road as long as they are not speeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Just obey the speed limits on the bank hol wkends & it doesn't matter how many points they want to give out...

And that doesn't mean drive at 40kph everywhere!!! Just below whatever the limits is for the road you're on.

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Confirmed!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

I do not think it is possible to speed this weekend. Have you see how busy the roads are? Seems like everyone is getting out of dodge this beautiful weekend so all the roads are packed and slow going!

• Advertisement

The George Hook show just proved my point earlier.

The other guy on it said the following.

- Double penalty points is a good idea, but only for speeding on bank holiday weekends. Not for anything else.

Less than an hour later he said this

- I've driven a car with a broken left wrist. No problem, I used my elbow to steer the car with.

So, breaking the speed limit is insanely dangerous yet steering a car with your elbow while changing gears with your right hand isn't ?

This is an example of what the RSA has lead the nation to believe. That as long as you don't speed you are driving safely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Break all ties

I am so glad I left the nanny state Ireland has become.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,098 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

This is an utter load of bollix what about the people who work saturday or Sunday even bank holidays, stupid idea for a stupid think thank with feck all else to do before they take the weekend off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Failing to stop for a school warden sign attracts 1 penalty point. Why should that be doubled on a bank holiday when schools are closed? Crazy I tells yis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

With Ned Flanders ahem! Gay Byrne at the helm of the RSA anything is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Quick Quick. We need a 4 year period of consulation so folks can fly around the world in business class, visiting councils and cities and doing what they could do in 2 hours on the internet. :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Off topic posts deleted

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Buffman

I never heard of The Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport before yesterday. Smacks of PR grabbing I reckon. http://www.cilt.ie/

From a legal point of view I can't see how something is more illegal/dangerous depending on time/date.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

The CILT have been around for years, I used to be a member. I don't think they need any publicity - everyone who needs to know about them, knows about them.

Also, I don't think it's about anything being more dangerous on one particular weekend than another. Statistically though (afaik), there do tend to be more road deaths on bank holiday weekends, so it's probably not a bad idea to refocus everyone's minds through some way or other.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

barrmur wrote: »
    http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=111
    Members of the public can report traffic-related incidents using the Traffic Watch lo-call number 1890 205 805. These calls are answered and logged by civilian personnel at the Garda Information Services Centre, Castlebar. The incident is then forwarded to the relevant District Officer (Superintendent) for investigation.

• Advertisement

Complete waste of time. It'll be written on a piece of paper and filed away or shredded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I agree. A total waste of a phonecall.

Advertisement