Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Child in Smart Roadster

• 17-07-2011 3:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi,
    The question might seem silly for some.
    Under Irish Law, I am aware that young children aren't allowed to sit in front of the car.
    :confused: But what about SMART ROADSTER (TWO-SEATER)? Would four year old with appropriate child seat be allowed to sit in front ?:confused:

I read that in other countries children are allowed to sit in two seat smart and that there are special child seats. what about Ireland?
    thanks for your advise

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

What in the name of all that's holy possessed you to buy one of those glorified go-karts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Wilsimon9

Haven't bought it yet. I saw it and fell in love ! Even though not exactly a usual car for Irish. maybe you could convince me why you don't like it that much?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

Why kids can sit in front of car ?
    I think there law say that they may sit on child seat, and car have no front passenger airbag, or it is possible deactivate front passenger airbag. (at least my new polo i can deactivate front passenger airbag).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

Have no idea about the child seats tbh, maybe ask a SMART dealer.

Nice cars though

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2309756

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

some two seaters have ISOFIX points so I don't think it's illegal once they are in a suitable seat and the airbag is turned off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Wilsimon9 wrote: »
    Haven't bought it yet. I saw it and fell in love ! Even though not exactly a usual car for Irish. maybe you could convince me why you don't like it that much?;)

not very common in ireland, I dont even know where people go to get parts for them , a mazda mx-5 might be another consideration ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Afaik a child may sit in the front seat whilst the appropriate seats and straps are in place. Only rear facing child seats may not be placed in front seat with frontal air bags enabled. I could be wrong but that was always my understanding of it.

yup seems like it's the way
    Children and seatbelts
    0-3 years

Babies and children under 3 may not travel in a car or goods vehicle (other than a taxi) unless restrained in an appropriate child restraint. This requirement applies to all of the vehicles listed above, irrespective of when they were registered - as long as they are equipped with safety belts. (Again, a child restraint is a device designed for use by a child weighing 36 kg or less). The restraint is fitted directly to a suitable belt or is held in place by the action of a safety belt, which in turn restrains movement in the event of an accident or incident. An appropriate child restraint is one appropriate to the weight of the child. The weight range is indicated on the child restraint.

Rear facing child restraints must not be used in seats protected by an active frontal air-bag and child restraints must be in accordance with EU or UN standards.
    3-17 years

Children over 3 years of age may occupy a forward facing front seat of a vehicle only if they are using a safety belt or an appropriate child restraint. Otherwise, they must travel in a rear seat. Children under 150 centimetres in height and weighing less than 36 kilograms (generally children up to 11/12 years old) must use the correct child seat or booster cushion.

Passengers aged 3 years or over must wear safety belts where they are fitted, when travelling by bus.

A person aged 12 years or more who is under 150 cm in height is not required to use a seatbelt even if this is provided but they must use an appropriate child restraint when travelling in cars or goods vehicles fitted with safety belts. They are of course free to wear the belt but people under this height are outside the limits of the safety belt design parameters, so there is a possibility that a safety belt could be injurious to them in some circumstances. For this reason, the law allows them to choose for themselves to belt up or not to belt up. This is irrespective of whether they are sitting in the front or back of the vehicle.

Taken from:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/roads_and_safety/seatbelts_when_motoring_in_ireland.html#l1f4da

Al tho I didn't realize that a child over 3 may sit on the front seat without some sort of booster seat under his/her bum. I always thought you needed a child seat of some sort but apparently once you have the appropriate straps it's ok. Appropriate being an extra strap that would keep the normal belt out of the child's neck / face. If you can deactivate the front airbags if they're equipped then you should be fine with any child in any car as long as you're responsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Wilsimon9 wrote: »
    not very common in ireland, I dont even know where people go to get parts for them , a mazda mx-5 might be another consideration ?

Exactly what Eric said...there are much better choices if you want a roadster type car. Although that said, 700cc engine can't cost much to run (then again, it won't act very roadstery though either).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

sdeire wrote: »
    700cc engine can't cost much to run (then again, it won't act very roadstery though either).

You'd be very very surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Drove one for a few weeks when it was traded in at work. I loved and was very close to buying it for myself when the insurance kicked me in the arse.

Great handling, gearbox is a bit dim-witted in auto mode and the ride is hard. Like a drink too suprisingly cos you're always revving the socks off it.

Well wear if you do buy one, I'd be more inclined to look for a coupe though for a bit of bootspace

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Owen wrote: »

Yours is a bit mental though!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

sdeire wrote: »
    glorified go-karts?

Is that not what makes a car fun?

gorgeous! pity about lack of the sun this summer :) (says Perfect for the Summer sun)
    shblob wrote: »
    Have no idea about the child seats tbh, maybe ask a SMART dealer.

Nice cars though

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2309756

Would love to test drive one, it must be weird because the seats are quite low?

Drove one for a few weeks when it was traded in at work. I loved and was very close to buying it for myself when the insurance kicked me in the arse.

Great handling, gearbox is a bit dim-witted in auto mode and the ride is hard. Like a drink too suprisingly cos you're always revving the socks off it.

Well wear if you do buy one, I'd be more inclined to look for a coupe though for a bit of bootspace

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Owen wrote: »

had a go in a brabus unit... and have to agree with Owen, these little things will surprise you a lot.....

Reminded me a lot of the orignal mini... the perception of speed is brilliant ( even if it not going that fast)

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭locteau

Just found this topic by accident.

I have a roadster, and my daughter is 6 years old. Gardai told me they is no problem for children to be on the front as car doe snot have back seats. Of course safety belt, seats etc.... need to be looked after.

This car is fantastic, I have no problem with it, cheap tax €178 a year, insurance is €345 comprehensive and have no trouble with it. But did fixed door handles a few times.

Advertisement