Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Supplements

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭hsbc

Hi - i've been on ON Gold Standard for over a year now and find it pretty good. I take 3 shakes a day - one in the morning and one before and after training. I'm due to order some more this week but was thinking about ordering a recovery drink too - is this necessary or will the protein do the same job? Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭gymsoldier

hsbc wrote: »
    Hi - i've been on ON Gold Standard for over a year now and find it pretty good. I take 3 shakes a day - one in the morning and one before and after training. I'm due to order some more this week but was thinking about ordering a recovery drink too - is this necessary or will the protein do the same job? Thanks for the help.

Put 50grm dextrose in with your post-workout shake, that'll do the job nicely :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

New bulk supplier! Delivery is around 15 quid for up to 25 kg to ireland so its pricey unless you are sharing with some one. Good quality products though at good prices!

http://www.ironscience.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭columok

john_cappa wrote: »
    New bulk supplier! Delivery is around 15 quid for up to 25 kg to ireland so its pricey unless you are sharing with some one. Good quality products though at good prices!

http://www.ironscience.co.uk/
    Must run the numbers but want to see at what point its better value than MP!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

gymsoldier wrote: »
    Put 50grm dextrose in with your post-workout shake, that'll do the job nicely :)

That's something i could do with, and its cheap enough.

• Advertisement

BadCharlie wrote: »
    That's something i could do with, and its cheap enough.

thanks lads - any recommendations? i usually orderr off irishfitness.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

I did a quick look at the big sites. Bulkpowders, myprotein, Holland & barrets, Argos, ironscience & found myprotein to be best after you factor in postage.

All depends on what your looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭DL Saint

http://www.universalnutrition.ie/viewproduct/423

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

Myprotein sells it at around €10 for 2.5KG.

Owen_S wrote: »
    Myprotein sells it at around €10 for 2.5KG.

Nice one - ordered my dextrose last night from MP so hopefully that'll do the trick.

One last question(maybe!) - how many grams does the average protein scoop hold?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Reggy

Nice one - ordered my dextrose last night from MP so hopefully that'll do the trick.

One last question(maybe!) - how many grams does the average protein scoop hold?

depends on the brand. it should say it on the tub. usually anywhere between 18g (holland and barrett rubbish) - 25g (ON gold standard). ON Hydrowhey contains 30g as far as i know but its expensive.

To put that in context, a large chicken fillet might contain 25g of protein, a medium sized egg might contain 5g of protein.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,030 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Just ordered two tubs of Big Whey from Nutrition X's store. Previously I've always gone with MyProtein, but after the furore over their price-hikes and the Irish site I decided I would try Nutrition X. Mainly I guess it is because I wanted to support an Irish company, but I was pleased to note that because of the discount on buying 2 tubs versus 1 and the free shipping on orders over €30 it has ended up not being as pricey as I'd feared... Price-wise it isn't that much more than if I'd bought tubs of True Whey from MP, although I guess I could have got a fair bit more of the satchet bulk powders from MP or elsewhere for the money, even factoring in paying a bit for shipping.

I do note that Iron Science, mentioned above, has a long thread on another forum called Muscle Talk where a few of their competitors are pretty unhappy at the prices they are selling at, as a few other companies use the same European whey providers at source, and Iron Science appear to be using a loss leader tactic to undercut them by about 10%, although their shipping costs are supposed to be higher than the likes of MP?

Presumably MP will also eventually have to beat their price (don't they have a price guarantee?).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭jasonf9ace

Presumably MP will also eventually have to beat their price (don't they have a price guarantee?).
    They do but it dont seem to stick by it.For example if you paste www.bodybuildingwarehouse.co.uk/ on the UK site you get a number of products cheaper due to their price guarantee. Paste it on the Irish site and low and behold nothing.Shame this is the way they do business:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭whiteboy

I'm sure this question has been asked before but concerning whey protein, how often and how much of this should you take and how hard exactly should you be training to use this supplement?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

whiteboy wrote: »
    I'm sure this question has been asked before but concerning whey protein, how often and how much of this should you take and how hard exactly should you be training to use this supplement?

The first question to ask yourself is "Do I need to supplement protein and why?"

Once you answered this question,you will be able to answer your above questions.

TBH from your post it sounds like you do not fully understand what Whey Protein is. It is a food source, simple as that. It is not some magic powder. It is not "Miracle Grow" for humans. It is pure and simply a protein source.

So answer the following questions for yourself
    • What are your goals (Gain/Lose/Maintain)
    • Do you know your required daily/weekly maintenance calorie figure
    • Have you worked out your daily/weekly calorie requirements to help you meet your goals
    • Have you worked out the breakdown of macro nutrients (Protein, Fat, Carbs) required to help achieve your goals. Particularly Protein as you are talking about Protein supplementation.
    • Have you sorted yourself out a (95%) clean eating plan based on your calorie requirements and macro nutrient breakdown from wholesome fresh foods (Chicken, Beef, Turkey, Oily fish, Eggs, fresh veg, fresh fruit, nuts, seeds, nut butters, Olive oil, Coconut Oil, Milk)
    • Is this eating plan deficient in protein and if so by how much
    • If a deficiency exists, can it be filled from protein sources from the list above
    If after sorting out a clean eating plan you discover that you have a protein deficiency that cannot be filled using real food protein sources, then Whey supplementation is an option.

Whey in it's natural state is not in powdered, chocolate/strawberry flavored form. But remember, Whey powder is produced in a lab. Whey powder is a supplement, which means it is meant to be used to fill short comings in your eating plan. It is not something that you build your eating plan around.

Supplementing with whey does not guarantee you a body like Gerard Butler from 300 simply by taking it. You need to be lifting progressively heavier objects over a prolonged period to get muscle to grow, whether you get your protein from whey or chicken, beef, turkey, fish, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭lakes1985

whats my best option for a fat burner? i take a whey protein from holland & barrets! im 6ft1 and weigh 15stone, im not fat at all, iv been goin to gym for few years but like everybody else find it hard to get rid of flab around belly!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

lakes1985 wrote: »
    whats my best option for a fat burner? i take a whey protein from holland & barrets! im 6ft1 and weigh 15stone, im not fat at all, iv been goin to gym for few years but like everybody else find it hard to get rid of flab around belly!!

IMHO that would be a 95%-98% clean diet and a couple of high intensity conditioning workouts each week while continuing with your strength workouts, and at the same time running a calorie deficit.

Not an instant fix and probably not what you wanted to hear, but one which if applied with consistency, will give results

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

lakes1985 wrote: »
    IMHO that would be a 95%-98% clean diet and a couple of high intensity conditioning workouts each week while continuing with your strength workouts, and at the same time running a calorie deficit.

Not an instant fix and probably not what you wanted to hear, but one which if applied with consistency, will give results

Im the same ive been training hard for a while now, i was originally 14st and have got myself down to 12.5st and 11.8% body fat but still find it hard to lose the layer of fat around my gut!
    As TommyKnocker has said its all about having a clean diet but even with that i still couldnt get the shredded look i wanted so i took Hydroxycut Hardcore and it certainly helped me alot but in saying that i did get some dodgy side affects while i was taking it but it did give me the results i was looking for but without proper diet and training its pointless!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭CK2010

Im the same ive been training hard for a while now, i was originally 14st and have got myself down to 12.5st and 11.8% body fat but still find it hard to lose the layer of fat around my gut!
    As TommyKnocker has said its all about having a clean diet but even with that i still couldnt get the shredded look i wanted so i took Hydroxycut Hardcore and it certainly helped me alot but in saying that i did get some dodgy side affects while i was taking it but it did give me the results i was looking for but without proper diet and training its pointless!

a friend of mine started taking this a few weeks ago and he ended up feeling quite bad (feeling sick, weak, faint) so he stopped. obviously he was aware that there would be side effects but he stopped because they were pretty bad, is it possible to kind of push through them or prevent them from being bad, or was he better to stop completely?

i have no knowledge of supplements or training etc (hes actually the one who got me started at the gym), and i doubt he'll want to start them again but im just curious now that you've said it gave you good results even with bad side effects!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

CK2010 wrote: »
    a friend of mine started taking this a few weeks ago and he ended up feeling quite bad (feeling sick, weak, faint) so he stopped. obviously he was aware that there would be side effects but he stopped because they were pretty bad, is it possible to kind of push through them or prevent them from being bad, or was he better to stop completely?

i have no knowledge of supplements or training etc (hes actually the one who got me started at the gym), and i doubt he'll want to start them again but im just curious now that you've said it gave you good results even with bad side effects!

If he felt that bad i reckon he was probably right to stop! Im no expert myself but the dosage on the back of the tub is a bit heavy going, i took 1 twice a day for a week to start and give myself a chance to get used to it before upping the dosage to 1 three times a day and then 2 twice a day till i finished!

Id say its the caffeine in it that made him feel this way some people can have bad reactions to it in high doses but as i said im no expert so i cant say for sure! When i started taking it i felt a bit sick and out of sorts myself and at times kind of anxious but after about a week of taking it like i said it got better! Dont know if id take it again any time soon but i know plenty of people who swear by it and never get any side affects? It did strip alot of the extra gut i couldnt manage to shed jus with training and diet alone but with the price of feeling like crap im not sure is it really worth it? Luck of the draw i guess!!

Hope this helps!:)

• Advertisement

If he felt that bad i reckon he was probably right to stop! Im no expert myself but the dosage on the back of the tub is a bit heavy going, i took 1 twice a day for a week to start and give myself a chance to get used to it before upping the dosage to 1 three times a day and then 2 twice a day till i finished!

Id say its the caffeine in it that made him feel this way some people can have bad reactions to it in high doses but as i said im no expert so i cant say for sure!

that was my thinking but a drink he uses is similar, and has high dosage of caffeine and he found that grand! which is why it was strange for him to have different side effects, i guess its the combination within the pills that doesnt agree with him. he started with two a day though so maybe that was it.

thanks for the info, was just curiosity getting the better of me! glad it worked for you though, id say its great to finally shift the stubborn bits!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

CK2010 wrote: »

feeling sick, weak and faint are all classic symptoms of not eating enough. Which I would say is pretty possible if he was dieting.

Hanley wrote: »
    feeling sick, weak and faint are all classic symptoms of not eating enough. Which I would say is pretty possible if he was dieting.

thats what i thought at first but he said he had been eating well til he felt that way and thenn he couldnt eat at all!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,030 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Two tubs of big whey from Nutrition X arrived yesterday (1 vanilla, 1 mint choc).

I know it's totally subjective (some people love the taste of supplements I hate) but FWIW I think the vanilla compares well with some other brands in terms of taste (ON, MyProtein, Cytosport, Musashi, Olymp). In terms of mixability too. The last thing I bought was Olymp and it was like trying to shake sawdust and water, trying to get it to mix.

Must admit I assumed Nutrition X would be a bit of a 'poor cousin' in comparison to the international brands, but not the case at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

What do ye make of the MP cookies? http://www.myprotein.com/ie/products/mybar-cookie
    Some damn good stats there. Very tempted to order some this weekend with the special offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,998 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Fizman wrote: »
    What do ye make of the MP cookies? http://www.myprotein.com/ie/products/mybar-cookie
    Some damn good stats there. Very tempted to order some this weekend with the special offer.

What stats are you talkign about?
    These? They aren't anything special imo.
    You could probably make them yourself, the recipie wouldn't be hard to copy.
    Per 75g:
    Energy: 317kcal
    Protein: 37.5g
    Carbohydrate: 19.55g
    (of which sugars): 7.32g
    Fat: 9.93g
    (of which saturates): 3.9g
    Fibre: 1.4g
    Sodium: 0.27mg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

Two tubs of big whey from Nutrition X arrived yesterday (1 vanilla, 1 mint choc).

I know it's totally subjective (some people love the taste of supplements I hate) but FWIW I think the vanilla compares well with some other brands in terms of taste (ON, MyProtein, Cytosport, Musashi, Olymp). In terms of mixability too. The last thing I bought was Olymp and it was like trying to shake sawdust and water, trying to get it to mix.

Must admit I assumed Nutrition X would be a bit of a 'poor cousin' in comparison to the international brands, but not the case at all...

+1

I only started taking protein shakes in febuary after a lot of consideration (basically believeing the bull**** too much). On my second tub of nutriton x pro matrix based on advice I got for my goals, and the mint choc one is lovely. No bother drinking it just with water.

Friend of mine had a vanilla flavour one by someone else and it was rotten, nearly put me off even getting the stuff in the first place!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 gerryatric

Just recieved my 1kg of Cookies and cream from myprotein, about to workout and will have it post workout!

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭nbrady20009

BCAA vs EAA

Opinions on effectiveness?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Hey swim 5 times a week, 40 lengths in 30mins. Should I even consider supplements?

Advertisement