Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Editing programs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

^^^^
    SPAM

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Boogienights

Worked with FCP and Avid, and I have to say FCP wins hands down

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭JG009

I get laughed at but I stand by vegas pro!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Worked with FCP and Avid, and I have to say FCP wins hands down

You must have only worked on isolated projects rather that large scale series. FCP is good for individual projects but if you need to share a lot of media Avid is much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭BG2

What open source video editing software would you recommend for people who have never used a video editing software before? I have been exploring some of the ones available. There is a lot!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭ciencin

^^^ windows movie maker for open source! :)

I see people arguing which is better, FCP, CS or Avid.

I've done a lot of testing and reading on this subject and came to the conclusion that it really depends on these 4 things:

- your budget
    - your hardware (pc / mac / and how much ram you got)
    - your project
    - camera that you shoot with.

anything other then that is personal preference or fan boys screaming one is better then the other because they never used the other software.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 philipers

Hi, i bought one Canon EOS 7D 3814B010 18 Megapixel Digital SLR Camera in competitive price, it is very wonderful, the photo it take is very clear and high pixel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 chefs4

Final cut pro express better n cheaper, if on windows pc adobe prob best. If mpeg 2 very slow to convert, finish your final video, run it back to tape or camera and upload it to nero express, converts & runs to dvd very fast n easy.
    good luck

bambam wrote: »
    I've used Adobe Premier 6.5 for knocking up a couple of family wedding videos. Its got a bit of a learning curve but well work it in the end.

The good points are -
    1) multi channel control of audio & video.
    This is very powerful as it allows you to have up to 3 tracks of video (& 3 of audio) and placing tracing transitions is real easy

2) transitions - lots of and loads of plugins around
    Also performs realtime rendering of the tranistions. Makes working on the video really easy

3) Titler - really nifty, fair few themes to choose (like wedding :) )

4) Sound editing - really easy & logical to get your head around. Great for effects and fades.

5) Can drag and drop a load of photos onto a video channel. Premier will render them by showing each for a few secs.

Bad points -
    1) no auto detect of scenes. This might be added in the latest version (pro).

2) not great support for dvd - you get a lite version of some crappy dvd creator product - best off get your own for this.

3) Slow conversion from DV to Mpeg 2 (for DVD)
    Note you can improve this by downloading an updated encoder from the third party that Adobe use - for free

I've only really scratched the surface from an amatuer perspective - but a great product to use. And the gotcha - 700 bucks - lot of money - have a go at the eval version of ye are curious.

IF you're into something a bit more lightweight you could try Dell Movie Studio Plus. My mate got it with his Dell. Full of wizards and hand holding - good for simple quick stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 imyourman

if your not doing professional work I suggest using Logic Express... its reasonably prices and does a great job.. only down fall is that its only for macs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 AFCNZ

Anyone rate Vegas Pro 9.0?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Wolf Club

I've been using FCP, but am considering changing to Premier Pro CS5. From what people are saying, it requires no rendering or transcoding, and seeing as though I edit a lot of DSLR 1080p footage, I think this would be of great benefit as Final Cut falls down speed wise if you want to retain the quality of the original footage. I haven't used CS5 yet though, so would anyone recommend it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

browers wrote: »
    In my opinion, the iphone 4 is the most wonderful. I bought one iphone 4 32gb factory unlocked MC605B/A in competitive price, It have 500 million pixes.The photo it take is so clear.

SPAM,

mods please remove

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 JacComedy

I edit my videos with Sony Vegas Pro 9 and it really is a simple but effective software! I have the knowledge to use more advanced software but since doing nothing major yet don't feel the need to use anything more complicated. I'd suggest it to anyone who isn't that great yet or doing nothing complicated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 scoutau

We shot some footage last week (from a Sony HD EX3)and then went to get it edited on FCP. It was really frustrating because even dissolves needed to be rendered. Just changing the length of the dissolve made us wait 30 seconds, which doesn't sound much but the waiting for rendering gets out of hand when you are still working on the timing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 scoutau

Wolf Club wrote: »
    I've been using FCP, but am considering changing to Premier Pro CS5. From what people are saying, it requires no rendering or transcoding, and seeing as though I edit a lot of DSLR 1080p footage, I think this would be of great benefit as Final Cut falls down speed wise if you want to retain the quality of the original footage. I haven't used CS5 yet though, so would anyone recommend it?
    I have used CS4, but be careful. CS5 Premiere Pro needs a 64bit computer. There is no upgrade using your old computer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭dacogawa

AFCNZ wrote: »
    Anyone rate Vegas Pro 9.0?
    Yes :D & VP10 with the new 3D video options

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 tomwarren

I use a 500 MHz it's just beautiful, even if it takes ages to frickin do. Make sure you have a fast computer bitch with a heavy piece of RAM, although I hear that later versions of FCP has made behind the scenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 michaelgmaloy

i use CS4 as well and it's OK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 wolffe

CS5 with 64bit runs pretty smooth. And it's extensible with some nice filters and plugins.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 henrygoggins

to be honest i think between Avid, FCP and Prem Pro. They will all do a great good job full stop. Ive worked on all and each has its benifits. Learning the skills is important and for now all 3 will cover what your looking for. so comes down to how much you want to spend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 civileng2008

Hi HC/All,

I am new to boards.ie so I am just finding my bearings!

I don’t know would I be as you describe as a "serious amateur" but I like editing a few vids I take from time to time. Had Video Pad editor which was good no major bells and whistles but it did all I wanted to do with it, but the vid format lost quality when publishing the vids ( or quiet possible my trial period when out) I am back using windows live movie maker which is not as good as the standard old one! But it does the trick.! Where would a chap go for a download of a movie maker which would allow me to reverse a clip and edit it so that it plays in reverse? Maybe windows live movie maker has it but considering you can’t even take a frame snap in a vid with it I guess it not their.

Cheers
    CE

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

hiya
    Pretty new to this myself!

I'd say look at CyberLink PowerDirector 9 Deluxe it's cheap as chips and it actually has a function to do what you want, built into it.

It'd probably do everything you'd need to produce nicely edited videos.

good luck with it

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 civileng2008

Hi Fionn,

Thanks for the reply ill have a look at this power director and see how i get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Mensch Maschine

Hi,

Recently purchased a Canon 7D. I use it mainly for photography but I've done some video work in the past.

If I'm right, my computer is not good enough to to handle raw HD video running on it. For example, I tried compressing the .mov files to Mpeg but when I tryplay the footage, it's totally jittery.

This is the same if I play it in Qucktime, Premier CS3 and not so much VLC.

My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite P200.
    It's running Vista 32 Bit
    Intel® Centrino® Duo processor Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor T5450 @ 1.66GHz
    2Gb RAM

I'm pretty sure it's just not powerful enough but can someone with more knowledge just confirm that for me? Just so I can rule out something I might be doing wrong.

Hopefully, I will have some cash monies in Sept and I'm going to get an IMac instead of the lenses I wanted to buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭extopia

Nope - your laptop is probably OK (although cutting video on a laptop's internat drive is not really a good idea, for many reasons).

You need to transcode the video to an editable codec. Many editing applications do this automatically for you.

Go to dvinfo.net and check out their 7D forum for all the answers you need.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Mensch Maschine

Hi there,

I appreciate your reply. Can I just ask you one other thing. I got Mpeg Streamclip to transcode my .mov files from the 7D. Is there a safe, or preferable file type that's ideal for Premier?

This is all new to me. And, as for applications doing the transcoding for you, what ones do? Are you automatically prompted as you import video?

Thanks for the link aswell :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭extopia

I don't use a 7D or Premiere (I'm a FCP editor, and shoot HDV and Canon 550) so I can't answer your question with authority. Streamclip is fine - it depends what you're converting too (and this often depends on the capabilities of your system. Personally I transcode to Prores directly within FCP on capture. Not sure if Premiere can do this but I suspect it can. Dig around in dvinfo - this thread looks particularly promising.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-7d-hd/467809-premiere-pro-cs4-7d-footage.html

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭TommyGun

Vlc plays almost every type of video file type. If it stuttering while playing, your pc does not have the power to play it.

If you compress the file, due to compression will make it stutter more. If you transpose the files to e.g mpeg 2. The file sizes will be alot bigger but due lower compression will be easyer to edit and play without stuttering.

I hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

TommyGun wrote: »
    Vlc plays almost every type of video file type. If it stuttering while playing, your pc does not have the power to play it.

If you compress the file, due to compression will make it stutter more. If you transpose the files to e.g mpeg 2. The file sizes will be alot bigger but due lower compression will be easyer to edit and play without stuttering.

I hope this helps.

Compression won't cause a player to stutter. Compression will bring the file size down and actually make it easier to play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭TommyGun

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Compression won't cause a player to stutter. Compression will bring the file size down and actually make it easier to play.

To compress a file is to make it smaller eg from mpeg2 to mp4 . To transpose a file is convert the file to an easier format to edit eg. from mp4 to mpeg2 or DVCPRO-HD the file size will be alot bigger. This makes it easier for a low powered pc to play and edit.

Advertisement