Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭limo_100

It grew like hell when I cut the rushes and it hasnt been grazed since july, Got no fertiliser for a few years either. The quality of the grass isint great though but its still better then rushes. I wouldnt mind pulling a subsoiler through it and see how it works out but nobody I know has one.

did a similar job ourselves at the end of july 60acres in a day was good going we hired out a big sprayer was a great job. we had them topped before hand we used that stuff aswel but we also mixed mortone in aswel. but what i want to know is how long did you wait to top them after you sprayed. be the way you got a brilliant result only hope we get as good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

limo_100 wrote: »
    did a similar job ourselves at the end of july 60acres in a day was good going we hired out a big sprayer was a great job. we had them topped before hand we used that stuff aswel but we also mixed mortone in aswel. but what i want to know is how long did you wait to top them after you sprayed. be the way you got a brilliant result only hope we get as good

Id say it was around ten weeks but I cant remember properly, I waited until the rushes were gone almost white and when you could easily grab a fist of them and pull them out of the ground. They had all gone black and mushy where the went into the root and were very easy to cut.

Limo heifer out of a charlaois x shorthorn cow this evening

Photo0126.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

^^^^^^One for the bull next backend?

Bizzum wrote: »
    ^^^^^^One for the bull next backend?

Will keep her on for the winter anyway and see how were fixed then sure, Have 6 limo heifers out of sim cows so she wouldnt be my first choice but shes done well and the cow doesnt seem over milky by any means. Shes out of our stock bull by genial, Anyone know what he was like for milk??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

fr230.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    :D

few more pics from today
    fr247.jpg
    By vanderbadger at 2011-09-22
    fr246.jpg
    fr245.jpg
    fr244.jpg
    fr242.jpg
    fr240.jpg
    fr239.jpg
    fr238.jpg
    fr235.jpg
    fr234.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

[QUOTE=vanderbadger;[/QUOTE]

STOP! You're making me regret not feigning sickness to be there !:D

Lovely animal Legwax, wish I was at home to start what I want in the herd!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

that champion angus is some animal. I saw him win the interbreed in Virgina show and nothing came close to him.

that champion angus is some animal. I saw him win the interbreed in Virgina show and nothing came close to him.

i think I saw a sign beside him that said he was 1500kgs but maybe im mistaken

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

that sounds about right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

i think I saw a sign beside him that said he was 1500kgs but maybe im mistaken

Have to say he's the most impressive animal I'v seen in some time if not the most impressive... He has some mass to him... tip to toe..

I had a friend who isn't a farmer but close to farming, with me. It was his first time to the ploughing... he was astonished by the stock on show but tought it was crazy to be letting teenagers who obviously had no genuine interest in the stock hang round shouting and even poking at some of them...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

is a nice bull..think doing well.. offspring wise also

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

wiggy123 wrote: »
    is a nice bull..

he is so he is ..... a good bull ....he is ..... the bull

b good to get some straws of him.. say suit a big cow

Does anyone know who owns him?

Though I don't think I'll head to the dark side :D

Bizzum wrote: »
    Does anyone know who owns him?

Though I don't think I'll head to the dark side :D

if you look close at the pic i think it says a mcfaddan
    Crerogue Herd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Anybody notice the Saler cow and calf just as you entered the saler tent. The calf was definitely drugged up to the eyeballs. The cow was a little too happy for my liking too. I suppose safety comes first and all that.

pakalasa wrote: »
    Anybody notice the Saler cow and calf just as you entered the saler tent. The calf was definitely drugged up to the eyeballs. The cow was a little too happy for my liking too. I suppose safety comes first and all that.

dont have any myself but believe those saler cattle are deadly dangerous around calving time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

pakalasa wrote: »

Were there many Salers there? I know there's a society guy not a million miles from me who has brought them in the past. Not sure if he did this turn or not. He'd definitely have been there though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭flatout11

if you look close at the pic i think it says a mcfaddan
    Crerogue Herd

Blelack Elijah, mc fadden from navan owns him, he is a bred by the massies in scotland, cost 7000 stg in perth - havent seen much of him about yet

dont have any myself but believe those saler cattle are deadly dangerous around calving time

They are getting great mention in the Connacht Tribune :D I think there's a saler calf show (think it's a national event) coming up in Ballinasloe soon

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

http://i56.tinypic.com/18zm02.jpg
    http://i56.tinypic.com/16h3rs7.jpg
    http://i53.tinypic.com/m4wf5.jpg
    http://i55.tinypic.com/2eycim8.jpg
    http://i55.tinypic.com/i3hxyf.jpg

i need to resize the picture cos there coming out way to big.

the purebred bull is 15 months old and currently for sale

the bbx is 6 months old.

Some nice animals there. You do a bit of showing?... I see the training halters hanging off the crush! ;)

ony got in to purebreed cattle the last few yrs dont realy have the time to get them ready for shows.the haulters are to train the cattle to be quite around stangers so when we sell them they are used to be handlied.
    i work full time so done have the time to get them ready for shows

hope to increase the number of pb in the herd next year as i see it as the way to go.

naughto wrote: »
    ony got in to purebreed cattle the last few yrs dont realy have the time to get them ready for shows.the haulters are to train the cattle to be quite around stangers so when we sell them they are used to be handlied.
    i work full time so done have the time to get them ready for shows

hope to increase the number of pb in the herd next year as i see it as the way to go.

Fair play. ALOT of work alright I'd say. So you only halter break to keep them quiet, you don't sell them at PB sales? Dead right. Alot of hassle and competing with overfed animals.

Do you get them walking or just tie them up for a few days?

Muckit wrote: »
    Fair play. ALOT of work alright I'd say. So you only halter break to keep them quiet, you don't sell them at PB sales? Dead right. Alot of hassle and competing with overfed animals.

Do you get them walking or just tie them up for a few days?

i get them walking and i tie them only for a day or two to knock the temper out of them,its easy enough to get them walking but you have to be patient with them.your wasting your time other wise if i had more time id train a few to gether.

Super looking shed/set-up there Naughto.

very good.. he is winning all before him at shows.. seems to me--be too heavy for a cow.. natural service!!

• Advertisement

wiggy123 wrote: »
    very good.. he is winning all before him at shows.. seems to me--be too heavy for a cow.. natural service!!

the angus is really evolving if he is anything to go by, huge animal

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement