Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shaving.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Shaving.ie wrote: »
    I spoke too soon :) the new stock arrived just now.

Cheers ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

I spoke too soon :) the new stock arrived just now.

any new brushes :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Shaving.ie

tinner777 wrote: »
    any new brushes :pac::pac::pac:
    :pac: If your looking for the Omega it should be next week but its hard to tell. Id say within 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

how you know:rolleyes:
    drop me a pm when its in mate

• Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

OK
    Help me out guys
    been using mach3/fusion for years
    would like to change to a razor
    I dont take my time shaving and would
    probably be liable to do some damage
    with some of these blades from time to
    time but at least ill give myself a proper shave
    anyway...as a first timer can
    someone recommend a starting pack
    will razor, brush, cream and blades do me?
    do i need balms soaps or any extras really?
    thanks

• Advertisement

That is pretty much the basics for what you need. I always think the Progress is a good starting point but I would also consider the following from Merkur: 33c, 34c, 23c, 42c 1904 and a sample selection of blades. There is lots of advice in the Safety Razor thread. For a brush there are two main types Badger or Boar. Badger is generally softer and considered more luxurious but I also like the boar brushes.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭bothyhead

Badger is generally softer and considered more luxurious but I also like the boar brushes.

I've only used a badger brush. I would be interested to hear what you like about the boar. I assume that it's more prickly than a badger, so is it the massaging or ex-foliating effects that you like? Also, which boar brush from your collection would you recommend?

mailburner wrote: »
    will razor, brush, cream and blades do me?
    do i need balms soaps or any extras really?
    thanks

Proraso cream (I use the green tub) is a fine product.

As for balms, Nivea sensitive post shave balm is really good, and cheap (you can get it in Tesco) There's a review of it here http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?ltr=N&t=4898

The scent is mild, so once it dries in, you can splash your AS on top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

bothyhead wrote: »
    I've only used a badger brush. I would be interested to hear what you like about the boar. I assume that it's more prickly than a badger, so is it the massaging or ex-foliating effects that you like? Also, which boar brush from your collection would you recommend?

A quality boar brush is surprisingly unprickly once broken in. One made with unclipped bristles will mean the tips split after a couple of weeks and it is these split ends that are soft. Check the Semogue 2000.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

bothyhead wrote: »

Once a boar brush is lathered up it is as soft and pliable as badger, it's a bit bipolar in its character..

Soft at the tips (some seem pre stressed), but with more backbone. Having said that, I am biased towards 'blonde' boar brushes, I love using them.

Takes about 2 weeks to a month to soften up a boar, typically. They stink like any other new brush.

I don't see much difference in use, but they have different strenghts, any badger will pick up and let go of water quickly, whereas a boar brush takes a good bit longer to dry out and fluff up for the next shave.

The extra backbone in the boar helps with quick cream and soap lather making, and helps you focus it onto an area of your face with slightly more ease.

The Semogue 2000 is a very nice brush, but will not reveal itself to you for about 2 to 3 weeks, along with being a pretty odorous brush, to start with.

I started out on boar (3 and counting..), and I'm slowly buying into badger, once I make my mind up on what I want, but both types will live alongside each other, hanging from the shower rail.

• Advertisement

That is pretty much the basics for what you need. I always think the Progress is a good starting point but I would also consider the following from Merkur: 33c, 34c, 23c, 42c 1904 and a sample selection of blades. There is lots of advice in the Safety Razor thread. For a brush there are two main types Badger or Boar. Badger is generally softer and considered more luxurious but I also like the boar brushes.

I've gone with the following
    should probably have added healing cream also
    Your Order Contains the Following Items:
    1 x Merkur 34c HD Safety Razor
    1 x Two Of A Kind DE Blade Sample Pack
    1 x Taylors of Old Bond Street Shaving Cream Tubes
    (Shaving Cream: Avocado)
    1 x Semogue 740 Badger Shave Brush
    1 x Taylor of Old Bond Street Pre Shave Aromatherapy Oil

You'll enjoy that TOBs, I have the same, quite a spicy Avocado.

Amalgam wrote: »
    You'll enjoy that TOBs, I have the same, quite a spicy Avocado.
    The wife should like it so :D
    was swayed by a lot comments recommending it in the safety razors
    thread
    this is all new to me but after ordering a 34hd razor im trying to change it now
    to the progress after reading more posts

Placed my first order with Shaving.ie on Friday and it arrived today, great service and thanks for the blades. Now is the hard part, which safety razor to use, the Merkur Progress long handle, Merkur 39c slant or the Merkur 34c HD. I think I'll go with the Merkur 39c slant ;)

Thanks guys for the recommendations of the Semogue 2000 boar brush. My latest order from Chris has just been flagged as dispatched, so I'll put the Semogue on my wish list for my next order. I'm also planing to get a 730HD as soon as the finances allow; I think I'll be treating myself to a Christmas pressie (or two) this year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

That P160 is great soap(so long as you like the smell of marzipan and resist the urge to eat it :D )

Amazing lather - good on the skin

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Chris like the look of the new stands
    http://www.shaving.ie/products/Muhle-Gillette-Mach3-Compatible-3-Piece-Shaving-Set.html

shaving-set-3-peice-mach3.jpg

Shame its for Mach3, any chance of getting stuff suitable for the likes of the progress or am I just better of getting something like this :)
    (yes I know its a toothbrush holder but it should fit safety razors) :pac:
    35069_PE125590_S3.jpg

Thanks for that chris
    Got them today which was very quick
    the long handled progress with
    1 x Two Of A Kind DE Blade Sample Pack
    1 x Taylors of Old Bond Street Shaving Cream Tubes
    (Shaving Cream: Avocado)
    1 x Semogue 740 Badger Shave Brush
    1 x Taylor of Old Bond Street Pre Shave Aromatherapy Oil

Cabaal wrote: »
    Chris like the look of the new stands
    http://www.shaving.ie/products/Muhle-Gillette-Mach3-Compatible-3-Piece-Shaving-Set.html

shaving-set-3-peice-mach3.jpg

Shame its for Mach3, any chance of getting stuff suitable for the likes of the progress or am I just better of getting something like this :)
    (yes I know its a toothbrush holder but it should fit safety razors) :pac:
    35069_PE125590_S3.jpg
    I think someone here is already using that Ikea stand.. I think Gran Hermano maybe?

I will be getting some stands in for sure. I am expecting a few chrome brush holders first then in a couple of weeks a brush and razor holder.. Only problem is they tend to be a little expensive for what they are..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I think someone here is already using that Ikea stand.. I think Gran Hermano maybe?

The Ikea stand is long enough for even the long handled Merkur razors. The bowl like part on the bottom is also ideal for keeping blades. I use the individual brush holders like on your site for my badgers.

Having recently stocked up on soaps including a slab of P160, I'm looking for some empty soap dishes. Either wooden like the TOBS or the metal ones, any plans to stock them?

• Advertisement

The Ikea stand is long enough for even the long handled Merkur razors. The bowl like part on the bottom is also ideal for keeping blades. I use the individual brush holders like on your site for my badgers.

Having recently stocked up on soaps including a slab of P160, I'm looking for some empty soap dishes. Either wooden like the TOBS or the metal ones, any plans to stock them?

I do have some just in but I have not had a chance to dig them out. Not sure if they are what you are after but I will put them up shortly.

Something I wanted for a while. Just ordered Floïd (400ml) (Italy version) from Shaving.ie.

floidgenuineaftershave.jpg

Chris, nice to see you're getting some relatively exotic items in stock. I hope the scent is as 'powdery' as I've been led to believe. It was either this or a bottle of Pinaud, Clubman Reserve.

p160shavingsoaptipoduro.jpg

'Tipo Duro' ..temptation, temptation.. how hard is hard, can you mold it, or would it need cutting?

Something I wanted for a while. Just ordered Floïd (400ml) (Italy version) from Shaving.ie.

Chris, nice to see you're getting some relatively exotic items in stock. I hope the scent is as 'powdery' as I've been led to believe. It was either this or a bottle of Pinaud, Clubman Reserve.

'Tipo Duro' ..temptation, temptation.. how hard is hard, can you mold it, or would it need cutting?

Thanks! I don't think you will be dissapointed with the Floid.. definetly powdery and smooth would be the two words that come to mind. Its hard to get hold of but I hope to have more stock of it soon in the two versions. The P160 Duro is still soft enough to mould or press into a soap bowl.

floidgenuineaftershave.jpg

Nice, just ordered the same from Shaving.ie. Chris you need to expand your aftershave selection, I'd love it if you could add the following to your selection,

http://www.connaughtshaving.com/colconkas.html
    http://www.connaughtshaving.com/harrissbayrumas.html

DonJose wrote: »
    Nice, just ordered the same from Shaving.ie.

Ordered the Floïd yesterday and it arrived today, great service. The Floïd has a lovely barbar shop smell, not overpowering but nice and musky, its a huge bottle and well worth €19.99.

Not overpowering, as DonJose said.. it also changes somewhat, from bottle to face, a hint of Cherry flavoured cough sweets.. and musk, from the neck of the bottle, but the smell on your skin is totally at odds to that, with the musk and the talc being the main marker, for others to pick out. Leaves a powder-like, musk, smooth, but not sugary, scent behind.

Not a modern smell at all, I think my grandfather probably had brilliantine that smelt similar.

There's alcohol in it, denatured, but you wouldn't know it unless you read the back label. There's no punch to it when applied to the skin.

floidbottleandcap.jpg

A big bottle, 400ml, with a narrow dropper like hole to allow you to splash out the product on to your hands. 1 glass piece. No plastic, apart from the separate cap.

floidbottleneck.jpg

There's a rather odd warning on the back, more or less an Engrish style legal threat!

WARNING!

This bottle must be used only to contain FLOID THE GENUINE. Legal action will be taken if this warning is not respected. It will be done even if the original product is compromised because of additions or manipulations.

Oh heck, might as well go the whole nerd nine years, here are the ingredients:

Alcohol Denat
    Aqua (Water)
    Glycerin
    Sorbitol
    Parfum (Fragrance)
    Amyl Cinnamal
    Benzyl Benzoate
    Benzyl Cinnamate
    Benzyl Salicylate
    Cinnamyl Alcohol
    Citronellol
    Coumarin
    Geraniol
    Menthol
    Benzyl Alcohol
    Ethoxydiglycol
    CI 19140
    CI 15985
    CI 16255
    CI 14720
    CI 28440
    CI 42051

40010 - Bologna - ITALY - Made in EU

www.intercosmoonline.com

--

So, it's the Geraniol and the Menthol creating such a strange mix. I wasn't won over instantly, because, as I stated above, the scent goes through a bit of a transformation, given a bit of time to evaporate on the skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

Nice review Amalgam.

I havent entered the world of proper after shaves just yet. I dont think I have ever smelt Bay rum or sandlewood but I hear they are the popular scents. Id like a musty, old style smell. I like a bit of alcohol too.

Would you recommend this over other scents out there?

After shaves are a very personal thing. I used to use Pinaud Clubman Reserve in the past, as well as proper Bay Rum, bought in a soft drinks bottle.. (not for the timid that one..)

Cheesy to admit, but I was also fond of Old Spice and 'Classic' Paco Rabanne.

I don't know what would suit *you*. The Floid is very talc-like in after effect. It's growing on me. I appreciate the lack of an unrefined alcohol punch to the skin. I've fiddled with the bottle twice since getting it this morning, which is a good sign.. :D

Going on what Chris has in stock, I would pump for the Speick After shave or the Proraso. I will probably end up with Proraso for myself, at some point.

Had my first shave and splashed on plenty of Floïd, the smell is fantasic. Chris is there any chance of you sourcing the Spanish version of Floïd???

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?ltr=F&t=15163

• Advertisement

The Floïd certainly livens you up, very nice this morning. If anybody is in any doubt, I'd buy it again, knowing what it is now. I have a relative going over to the Canaries this week, I'm hoping the 175ml 'Spanish' Floïd (orange\blue?) is available somewhere.

Advertisement