Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

'technical' support me ar*e

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

Ok thread now totally off topic, I propose closure? Still waiting to hear back from company what they found wrong! Will try post somewhere when its back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭smeggle

e300 for tech support (Software) is a rip off if you ask me...

Mate of mine who is a network engineer has just set up vpn tunnels to about 6 different offices. He had to get onto microsoft business tech support for some registry stuff etc. Paid e200 UNTILL the job was finished! It took 3 weeks to complete and they were there via e-mail helping out daily.

And if the guy your liasoning with don't know the answer they find someone who does! All for e200 and he still has further support ticket option on it.

As for formatting? Last thing in the world that I would recommend. Simple re-install xp (Make sure you have enough space), your old Admin account is there when you re-boot after the re-install but you'll need to change folder permissions as it will be locked. Transfer your data to your new account and delete your old one.

If your still getting blue screens/crashes after this then you obviously have a hard ware failure. Pull the drive and re-configure it to a slave, pop in another pc with an hd big enough to accomadate the data and recover the data. Fix the old pc and replace drive (Switched back to master). Try booting - in xp it should if not follow above re-install step/

What is so hard about that? It's first years beginners tech support for christs sake. You should be doing that within 6months of taking on any type of Tech Support.

Wheres the start button? I sympathise with all who have come across this but worst is the clowns who you say to 'Do this, now this and now that' and they answer you with They have some (WRONG) program open! I F***ing hate that :mad: LOL ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭StRiKeR

oh yea I ask this one to right click on my computer to bring up the system properties, he double clicked on it instead and start reading out the drives letters and info's of the drives to me, LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

smeggle wrote:
    e300 for tech support (Software) is a rip off if you ask me...

Mate of mine who is a network engineer has just set up vpn tunnels to about 6 different offices. He had to get onto microsoft business tech support for some registry stuff etc. Paid e200 UNTILL the job was finished! It took 3 weeks to complete and they were there via e-mail helping out daily.

And if the guy your liasoning with don't know the answer they find someone who does! All for e200 and he still has further support ticket option on it.

As for formatting? Last thing in the world that I would recommend. Simple re-install xp (Make sure you have enough space), your old Admin account is there when you re-boot after the re-install but you'll need to change folder permissions as it will be locked. Transfer your data to your new account and delete your old one.

If your still getting blue screens/crashes after this then you obviously have a hard ware failure. Pull the drive and re-configure it to a slave, pop in another pc with an hd big enough to accomadate the data and recover the data. Fix the old pc and replace drive (Switched back to master). Try booting - in xp it should if not follow above re-install step/

What is so hard about that? It's first years beginners tech support for christs sake. You should be doing that within 6months of taking on any type of Tech Support.

Wheres the start button? I sympathise with all who have come across this but worst is the clowns who you say to 'Do this, now this and now that' and they answer you with They have some (WRONG) program open! I F***ing hate that :mad: LOL ;)

You are missing the point also it seems... He paid €300 for 3 years of on-site warranty which covers ALL hardware failures for 3 years. Thats pretty damn good, its extra warranty.
    Tech support is different.. its over the phone.. you cant ask customers to do all that kind of stuff themselves... and you CANT have engineers out there troubleshooting either... i know its catch 22 but a personalised service like you are talking about is only possible with small IT companies who do that sort of thing.. not large multinationals who sell 1000 computers a day in the UK and Ireland.
    Think of the logistics involved.. it woulf require an engineer to drive a massive truck with every single part for every single model of PC made in the last 3 years in order to diagnose and fix the problem. The cost of which would make it impossible to provide the service for €300 for 1 month let alone for 3 years

If you did not get that sort of service from a small IT company then there would be call for complaint.

I know this is an old thread but just thought i'd let you all know, the harddrisk was replaced and problem came back so they took it away again last week and it arrived back with new motherboard, and memory.

When I phoned up tech support this time they checked the event viewer and where able to pin point it to hardware, just as I stated it was when this thread began, therefore all files on the hard disk need not have been lost as I stated to start with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

dbnavan wrote:
    I know this is an old thread but just thought i'd let you all know, the harddrisk was replaced and problem came back so they took it away again last week and it arrived back with new motherboard, and memory.

When I phoned up tech support this time they checked the event viewer and where able to pin point it to hardware, just as I stated it was when this thread began, therefore all files on the hard disk need not have been lost as I stated to start with.

so what is your point? the hdd was faulty, it was replaced so in my opinion, the files were lost anyway? i work in tech support. we have simple procedures to follow. its 11 mins a call, we do our best to solve the issue over the phone, we recommend things to the customer, if they dont accpet and want it repaired, we will bring in the pc. however, if something that we recommend was not done and this solve the issue in the repair, the customer would then have to pay for this repair, even in warranty. if its a hardware fault, then its repaired totally free of charge, i think that is fair. as regards your problem, after a few minutes, we generally know what the issue is. repairing an operating system over the phone is not in scpoe of support, if it corrupt, its a reinstall or recovery as most companies tend to call it these days. i have experience with 3 companies in ireland and all 3 now dont ship xp disks with there computers, they ship recovery cds, so in theory, doing repairs from these disks aint viable. you seem to dwell in the fact that you knew it was a hardware fault, so what? remember one thing, an average call center will take maybe 2000 calls per day. for every customer like yourself that has a feeling that it id a hardware fault, there is probably 10 that cant be solved by something simple. recoveries are last options, well for me anyway, but the way the company that i currently work operates is, they might as well be done on the phone, because they will be definately be done in the repair and that is a fact. i have seen computers go in for ODD problems, come back with the OS wiped back to factory defaults. we dont care about data, it is the customers responsibility for data back up and if its some important, it should be done. recoveries are the only way to determine if is hardware/software and generally save alot of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

we dont care about data, it is the customers responsibility for data back up and if its some important, it should be done..

this sums it all up

your data is your responsibility, if you dont have backups then you are to blame no one else.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭formatman

I hear there were no second redundencies in there after all the waiting Saruman !

How is the POD machine movie collection these days? ! ....:-)

so what is your point? the hdd was faulty, it was replaced so in my opinion, the files were lost anyway? i work in tech support. we have simple procedures to follow. its 11 mins a call, we do our best to solve the issue over the phone, we recommend things to the customer, if they dont accpet and want it repaired, we will bring in the pc. however, if something that we recommend was not done and this solve the issue in the repair, the customer would then have to pay for this repair, even in warranty. if its a hardware fault, then its repaired totally free of charge, i think that is fair. as regards your problem, after a few minutes, we generally know what the issue is. repairing an operating system over the phone is not in scpoe of support, if it corrupt, its a reinstall or recovery as most companies tend to call it these days. i have experience with 3 companies in ireland and all 3 now dont ship xp disks with there computers, they ship recovery cds, so in theory, doing repairs from these disks aint viable. you seem to dwell in the fact that you knew it was a hardware fault, so what? remember one thing, an average call center will take maybe 2000 calls per day. for every customer like yourself that has a feeling that it id a hardware fault, there is probably 10 that cant be solved by something simple. recoveries are last options, well for me anyway, but the way the company that i currently work operates is, they might as well be done on the phone, because they will be definately be done in the repair and that is a fact. i have seen computers go in for ODD problems, come back with the OS wiped back to factory defaults. we dont care about data, it is the customers responsibility for data back up and if its some important, it should be done. recoveries are the only way to determine if is hardware/software and generally save alot of time.

At what point in this whole thread did i cite it to be a faulty hard disk or software problem.....NEVER....that is the whole point I originally diagnosed the problem to be memory or motherboard related which would have meant never going near software or the harddisk files......and thats what it ended up being.

Everyone states a time factor, with the use of google and the microsoft site, i came to my conclusion in less the 10 minutes, faster then it takes to format most drives never mind do a reinstall.

Advertisement