Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jack O'Connor and austerity

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Pacifist Pigeon

The word "austerity" is highly subjective.

I'd call it a free market intensive if it wasn't for the fact it's being used as a government money saving mechanism to pay off private debt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

woodoo wrote: »
    Leave poor aul Jack alone
    Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

gigino wrote: »
    By being one of the main trade union men responsible for the doubling of public sector wages in the space of ten years in this country, O'Connor will go down in history as the man who cost the country tens of billions of euro. There are a lot of private sector workers who were not on your gravy train O'Connor and who would love to meet you down a dark alley one night.

Show me where public sector wages doubled since 2002.

Social welfare in 2002 - 9.52 billion
    http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Policy/ResearchSurveysAndStatistics/Pages/2002stats.aspx

Social Welfare bill 2011 - 21 billion.
    http://www.welfare.ie/EN/AboutUs/Documents/JOC05102011.pdf

Who can you meet down a dark alley over that gigino?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

Freddie59 wrote: »
    Why?

Jackie is our man, he's doing all he can*

*To the theme tune to val falvey

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Pete M. wrote: »
    Agreed. Even Richard Toll, a recently resigned associate prof with the ERSI has said the same pretty much...
    Thank god he's gone, at best he was a dangerous muppet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

micropig wrote: »
    I vote we change the national anthem somehow to include him

How about "Jack O'Connor Jack O'Connor Jaaaaack O'Connnnorrrrr" to the same tune as the current national anthem.

Sure most of us dont even know the existing words anyways :p

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    How about "Jack O'Connor Jack O'Connor Jaaaaack O'Connnnorrrrr" to the same tune as the current national anthem.

Sure most of us dont even know the existing words anyways :p

Well if we're changing it.....Ole, Ole mixed with give it a lash jack is a more catchy tune:D

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭crafty dodger

Jack O'Connor ha ha
    He popped his head up (out of 'where did all the HSE money go') to give us his version of ' I hear something from a a group of economists and I dont agree with it'
    Yeah right Jack
    Why dont you stay in Liberty hall when it is demolished?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

Jack O'Connor ha ha
    He popped his head up (out of 'where did all the HSE money go') to give us his version of ' I hear something from a a group of economists and I dont agree with it'
    Yeah right Jack
    Why dont you stay in Liberty hall when it is demolished?

himself and bertie, they cost the taxpayer ( net contributer to the government ) tens of billions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,434 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Thank god he's gone, at best he was a dangerous muppet.

Agreed. Decided to toss his toys right out of the pram on his way out the door. Classy.

• Advertisement

micropig wrote: »
    Jackie is our man, he's doing all he can*

*To the theme tune to val falvey

:)

The word sheeple comes to mind. Jack's being a good boy and not upsetting Happy Gilmore & Co. Amazing how things change, given how vociferous he was when FF were in office.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

By being one of the main trade union men responsible for the doubling of public sector wages in the space of ten years in this country, O'Connor will go down in history as the man who cost the country tens of billions of euro.

There are a lot of private sector workers who were not on your gravy train O'Connor and who would love to meet you down a dark alley one night.

Why bring public/private into it?

SIPTU is mostly a private sector union
    They represent some groups like firemen but almost all their members are in the private sector

Your friends who want to meet him down a dark alley are free to get organized and join SIPTU

The word sheeple comes to mind. Jack's being a good boy and not upsetting Happy Gilmore & Co. Amazing how things change, given how vociferous he was when FF were in office.:rolleyes:

nice word, I had to google it, but describes the situation perfectly

All kissing each others as*es to keep on the gravy train:eek::eek::eek:, surely not::D

mikemac1 wrote: »
    SIPTU is mostly a private sector union
    but the unions are mostly effective in the public service. Its why most public servants are union members, and most private sector workers are not. A lot of people who work in the private sector cannot go on strike - people would just shop elsewhere or whatever if they did.
    O'Connor and the other union bosses pay themselves 3 and 4 times the average private sector wage. They were responsible for doubling the public sector pay + pensions bill from 9 billion to 18 billion in the space of just 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭queensinead

but the unions are mostly effective in the public service. Its why most public servants are union members, and most private sector workers are not. A lot of people who work in the private sector cannot go on strike - people would just shop elsewhere or whatever if they did.
    O'Connor and the other union bosses pay themselves 3 and 4 times the average private sector wage. They were responsible for doubling the public sector pay + pensions bill from 9 billion to 18 billion in the space of just 10 years.

But Union Leaders are not paid from the public purse, so in that sense unions are "private sector" organisations.

The taxpayer does not pay Jack O'Connor's salary any more than it pays the salary of any overpaid CEO in the private sector.

But Union Leaders are not paid from the public purse.
    A lot of their money comes from the overpaid public sector who do get their money from the public purse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭tigger123

A lot of their money comes from the overpaid public sector who do get their money from the public purse.

Unions receive contributions from their members, not the members employers.

tigger123 wrote: »
    And as one of the German public servants here said to his Irish counterpart (who was paid half as much) :And vere do you think ze public service workers get zeir wages?

tigger123 wrote: »

Exactly and its the employees choice to pay. Gigino just likes to drone on about the public sector and the big bad unions.

Poor Jack earning c € 200k p.a. would know alot about austerity. Dare say he might even know a bit about union slush funds and misappropriated HSE monies.

Get off the stage Jack. :(
    +1, and well said. Lets drone on about Jack O'Connor instead, woodoo's hero.

Maybe you ARE Jack O'C. I cannot see many other people supporting him. Him + Ahern were cosy "social partners" of the bubble and feathered their nests accordingly.

• Advertisement

+1, and well said. Lets drone on about Jack O'Connor instead, woodoo's hero.

I have a photo of Comrade Jack on the Mantelpiece.

He earns 124,000 not 200,000

He gets 125,000 |(actually €124,895) in pay from SIPTU but his pension package and other directorships bring his total renumeration package close to 200k.

He is a great comrade for you to idolise.

And this matters how? He should only be earning slightly more than the average wage of those he represents. Oh, I forgot, many of those work in the PS.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

And this matters how? He should only be earning slightly more than the average wage of those he represents. Oh, I forgot, many of those work in the PS.......

Most SIPTU members work in the private sector
    There are a few exceptions like SIPTU represent the fire service who outside Dublin are employed by the councils afaik

I don't know if you mean public or private by PS but either way, SIPTU is the largest private sector union in Ireland

There are other unions that deal exclusively with the public sector

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Before poor Jack can expect to regain any public credibility he needs to get off the fence and take a much more visible role into ongoing investigations to get to the bottom of the murky but lavish financial expenditures of HSE monies by various Union officials (who are STILL being paid by the Union). Financial controls at HQ appear to have the robustness of a Holiday Savings club.

Hiding behind 'I didn't know' never works.

Before poor Jack can expect to regain any public credibility he needs to get off the fence and take a much more visible role into ongoing investigations to get to the bottom of the murky but lavish financial expenditures of HSE monies by various Union officials (who are STILL being paid by the Union). Financial controls at HQ appear to have the robustness of a Holiday Savings club.

Hiding behind 'I didn't know' never works.

Yes. It's up there with "I was only carrying out orders". It's sickening to see the smug head on him while the "Labour" Party:rolleyes: carry out their carving up of this country with their FG overlords.

mikemac1 wrote: »
    SIPTU is the largest private sector union in Ireland
    not even one in ten private sector workers are in it. Most public sector workers are in unions. Whatever private sector companies pay their employees is ok because the taxpayer ( net contributer to the government) does not pay it. However by doubling the govenment expenditure on public sector wages in the space of 10 years by " social partnership", from 9 billion p.a. to 18 billion p.a. , the unions played a key part in F****g the country. If only they were as concerned that the regulator / central bank / dept of finance done their job properly.

not even one in ten private sector workers are in it. Most public sector workers are in unions. Whatever private sector companies pay their employees is ok because the taxpayer ( net contributer to the government) does not pay it. However by doubling the govenment expenditure on public sector wages in the space of 10 years by " social partnership", from 9 billion p.a. to 18 billion p.a. , the unions played a key part in F****g the country. If only they were as concerned that the regulator / central bank / dept of finance done their job properly.

In a nutshell. In a private company people would be told "there's this much coming in - so this is all we can pay you" We've all been there at some point. It is only a matter of time before the truth hits home in the Public Sector. 80% of the education budget goes on salaries. It is truly GUBU.

Advertisement