Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Updated GRO

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Now that I've got it working for one of my rarer surnames - I'm impressed. More details than expected and goes up to very recently deceased people.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 11 PS4FORLOSERS

It is so slow!

Hopefully it's fixed soon. I got a treasure trove full of info i need to follow up on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

I'm guessing here but if you used to Irish version of the site might it be faster ? ;)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

desbrook wrote: »
    I'm guessing here but if you used to Irish version of the site might it be faster ? ;)

Almost certainly not; it'll be the same servers.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

pinkypinky wrote: »
    [*]Need to tick box and type any letters you like at the start is ridiculous, and have they heard of cookies? I've had to enter it 3 times in my first session already.
    [*]Need to type captchas!

More Search Options and Clear All Filters avoids going through this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I've been busy today and haven't had time to check it out and won't for a couple more hours. Now I find the Boardsie genealogists went and broke it, but ye are all probably being used as testers for the site and they are fixing things as fast as ye are finding them. So by the time I get to it, it will be running like a dream. Thanks guys! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 49 herself_there

Potentially a cabbage question but .... can I still order a certificate based on the info below? In the past I have used the Volume,Page,District info from the indexes when ordering copies in Werburgh St, but I see it only gives a 'Group Registration ID'.

Example:

Party 1 Name Michael Sullivan
    Party 2 Name Julia O'Connor
    Date of Event 23 June 1928
    Group Registration ID 1455163
    SR District/Reg Area Killarney

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

Typically you would have to supply that information. These new marriage indexes (after a specific year) give both parties, exact date, and registration district. That information alone will allow the GRO to find the cert for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭pjproby

It a huge advance. I really appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 herself_there

Typically you would have to supply that information. These new marriage indexes (after a specific year) give both parties, exact date, and registration district. That information alone will allow the GRO to find the cert for you.

OK lovely. So it's just a copy and paste job of all the info on the new indexes and the GRO will sort me out.

Thanks for clarifying:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

Was messing around with the indexes and from 1903 the exact date and names of both parties are included for marriages.

Only covers a few counties...or am I doing this wrong?

Only a few counties have Reg Districts with the same names - it covers all counties including NI to 1921, but it uses the Registration District names. E.g. there's no district called Kildare - its Celbridge, Naas, etc

http://www.irish-genealogy-toolkit.com/Ireland-civil-registration.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

MYOB wrote: »
    Only a few counties have Reg Districts with the same names - it covers all counties including NI to 1921, but it uses the Registration District names. E.g. there's no district called Kildare - its Celbridge, Naas, etc

http://www.irish-genealogy-toolkit.com/Ireland-civil-registration.html

Thanks for your help :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Apparently nobody by the name of Rafferty got married in Ireland.:confused:

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy wrote: »
    Apparently nobody by the name of Rafferty got married in Ireland.:confused:

3,158 showing for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

I'm capthacha'd. I've tried to get in to the site for the last 30 minutes. It keeps giving me captcha codes, which I can't interpret. Please let me in!!!!

MYOB wrote: »
    3,158 showing for me.

Yes - displaying the same now for me.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

Just spent about 2 hours on it! Very interesting find though!!

As frustrating as the site is to use - and hopefully that'll all be ironed out soon - I have filled in a load of blanks for recent events. So kudos to those who made it happen - worth waiting for.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Hermy wrote: »
    So kudos to those who made it happen - "worth waiting for."

Did you inadvertently quote a great film line?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xd7HTlkzS28&feature=kp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

the church records section has also been revised - some of the search options moved to the advanced search, e.g. month and day

mod9maple wrote: »
    Did you inadvertently quote a great film line?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xd7HTlkzS28&feature=kp

It was quite deliberate actually.:p

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Mollymoo19

Anyone know the position regarding marriages in Dublin North and Dublin South reg. districts, post 1919? Only about a dozen records have been uploaded so far.

Mollymoo19 wrote: »
    Anyone know the position regarding marriages in Dublin North and Dublin South reg. districts, post 1919? Only about a dozen records have been uploaded so far.

they're listed as 'Dublin'

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 9 magzer

Found my daughters' births in the 1990s.

They only seem to have inputted the first Christian name

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭CassieManson

KildareFan wrote: »
    I'm capthacha'd. I've tried to get in to the site for the last 30 minutes. It keeps giving me captcha codes, which I can't interpret. Please let me in!!!!

I had the same problem, I could not read some of the captchas so I use the audio version where you have to input numbers called out. That works every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

Okay so I put my granaunt Annie Maria Bollard into FMP and get her death no problem . Born 1886 dies late 1918 . Birth too although there's a descrepency of two years and its down as Anna Maria but that's par for the course . With this new GRO search not a trace of her birth OR death - any idea why ?

desbrook wrote: »
    Okay so I put my granaunt Annie Maria Bollard into FMP and get her death no problem . Born 1886 dies late 1918 . Birth too although there's a descrepency of two years and its down as Anna Maria but that's par for the course . With this new GRO search not a trace of her birth OR death - any idea why ?

death - Balrothery / 4th Qtr 1918 / Vol 2 / Page 350

edit : birth is on GRO also , 1884 same year as FMP, just first name. Dont see any volume/page references..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I saw this on Irish Genealogy News just now....

"If you've read this far, you deserve another treat. You might need to sit down for this one. I did. I thought I'd misheard!

Joan Burton, Minister for Social Protection (and, as of half an hour ago, the new Leader of the Labour Party, and Tánaiste) made a surprise announcement at last night's launch of the online GRO database. This is what she said:

“This [the GRO indexes online database] is an investment for the future which allows us to access our past from the comfort of our living rooms. The availability of electronic records is essential for the development of modern genealogy services. With this in mind, I will shortly be publishing the Civil Registration (Amendment) Bill 2014 in which I will be providing for certain historic records to be made available online direct to the public. I look forward to further developments on this wonderful initiative which will allow us, and future generations, access to invaluable information regarding our ancestors."

She went on to say that these historic records would be full register records for births up to 100 years ago, marriages up to 75 years ago, and deaths up to 50 years ago.

- See more at: http://irish-genealogy-news.blogspot.ie/#sthash.iDP9anWK.dpuf"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Jellybaby1 wrote: »

“This [the GRO indexes online database] is an investment for the future which allows us to access our past from the comfort of our living rooms. The availability of electronic records is essential for the development of modern genealogy services. With this in mind, I will shortly be publishing the Civil Registration (Amendment) Bill 2014 in which I will be providing for certain historic records to be made available online direct to the public. I look forward to further developments on this wonderful initiative which will allow us, and future generations, access to invaluable information regarding our ancestors."

She went on to say that these historic records would be full register records for births up to 100 years ago, marriages up to 75 years ago, and deaths up to 50 years ago.

That's fantastic news, just brilliant. :D

Advertisement