Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cork City FC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Worztron wrote: »
    I thought the draw is random.

No UEFA will reduce it down tomorrow to small groups of 5 seeded and unseeded teams who will be drawn against each other. Also you can't draw a team from your own country anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

Commentary on 96fm was woeful. Trevor Welch seemed to forget he was commentating on radio and not TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭Raoul

CHealy wrote: »
    Impossible im afraid, they will create seperate groups to make sure this doesnt happen.

We have nothing to fear from this mid table Swedish team. Away goal was crucial.

Surely you should be disappointed that you conceded a goal to 10 men?

Edit - obviously 1-1 at the start of the match would have been a dream result.

One of these in the next round if we can finish the job against Hacken:

Seeded
    1: Genk (BEL) 36.000 or Budućnost Podgorica (MNE)
    2: Rapid Wien (AUT) 23.520
    3: Hertha Berlin (GER) 16.035
    4: Rijeka (CRO) 14.275
    5: Arouca (POR) 10.616
    6: Mladá Boleslav (CZE) 10.085

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Raoul wrote: »
    Surely you should be disappointed that you conceded a goal to 10 men?

Edit - obviously 1-1 at the start of the match would have been a dream result.

Cork City cant play against 10 men wheter its Dundalk or Hacken, we've seen that time and time again, so to come away with a score draw away in Europe, fantastic. We played really well when it was 11v11.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

namloc1980 wrote: »

Seeded

Ugh. None of those are particularly glamorous.

Lets get past Hacken first and worry about the draw then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,666 ✭✭✭Worztron

namloc1980 wrote: »

Seeded

Who'd be easiest and who'd be toughest?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Hertha Berlin would have to be the toughest, that league is the strongest, their ranking is just a bit lower as they haven't been in Europe in a few years.

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Hertha Berlin would have to be the toughest, that league is the strongest, their ranking is just a bit lower as they haven't been in Europe in a few years.

Hertha Berlin would be amazing, I cant see us getting through round 3 to be honest so Im hoping for one of the big teams and make one final bank stop, and Berlin would be ridiculously good for an away trip.

Genk away in first leg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Rebel Boy

I always cheer on fellow League of Ireland teams in Europe. It's a pity City didn't hang on for the win, but the tie is still in our hands next week and the cross should be rocking for it. I hope both Dundalk and St. Spats qualify from their games as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

With blind optimism and the faith of the devout, I am hoping for City to grab a 1-1 result away to Hacken tonight. And then win the second leg by the odd goal :D

I'd support any LOI team in Europe, even Shels :eek: Don't think I need to worry about them qualifying for Europe for a long, long time though ;)

Well the first part of my blindly optimistic prediction came through :D

Thursday night at the Cross should be amazing. 1-0 to City and then bring on the Genk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

I was over in Sweden last week for the match. 'twas brilliant over there. Gothenburg's a fantastic city, plenty going on and very easy to get around with public transport and very walkable.

Hacken's stadium is amazing. Lovely tidy ground, about 6,500. Four connected stands going all the way around - behind the goals on both sides was half terracing, half seating. It was compact like the Cross, so the atmosphere carried well. Behind the main stand, they had a huge club house-type building. A reception on the ground floor, a big bar area and media rooms over that. It looked like that they were able to offer a proper package for corporate-type events. It would be the ideal stadium for us. Good size, well-linked to the city centre (walkable, easily cycleable and loads of public transport), corporate areas to make a bit more money off people who are willing to spend it, terraces to accommodate the ordinary fan. Tickets were less than €9. They're not in the slightest bit reliant on gate receipts. They have a club budget about 15-20 times the size of ours, but they make a huge amount off sponsorship and the Gothia Cup, an underage global tournament that they run every year. They could let fans in for free and it'd only be a small dent in their finances. It's something to strive towards for us.

Their supporters were sound out, too. Mingling with us in the pub before and after, buying everyone drinks. Hopefully a good crowd of them travel over on Thursday, although, they're only expecting about 30.

On the pitch, we were the better side. Disallowed goal, well deserved goal and we came close on a few more occasions. One mistake and we let them score. It's hard to see how this Thursday will go. If both sides play the same as last week, then we'll definitely go through. But it might've been that they underestimated us and will cop on for the home leg. Our fans have a big part to play. A crowd of 5,000+ would be great to spur the players on.

It's only Monday and my nerves are shot already. But it's feckin' brilliant to have these big European nights back again. Can't wait to be at the Cross, the place will be electric at 7.45.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭hman231

Can't put into words how big the Linfield win was but now to try and get through this tie would be even bigger! Taking away from the finances to topple a top Swedish side would show how good we really are and how much talent this league has. Huge game for Dundalk too Wednesday and if we could both get through it would really boost out uefa co efficient ranking. Not to mention Pats who are in a good position along side ourselves to qualify. Simple as we defend well and keep a clean sheet and we go through, we don't want a goal fest as we have the one away goal and as soon as they get one then we are really on the back foot, so first 10/20 minutes we have to keep it nice and tight at the back. Bolger could be key, but I think Hacken will being a real intensity with them and if we are to stand any chance we need a packed cross with the fans getting 100 % behind the team

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Believe. City you can do it . ( and Pats can do it) The LOI is alive and well. hope you have a great night at the X and get into the next round and take it from there.
    Dundalk fan

Fantastic result for Dundalk last night, now it's up to City to finish the business at the Cross tonight. With Dundalk going through, it's more important than ever for us to get a result tonight from a financial point of view.

Genuinely excited for tonight, and I believe we will do it. COME ON CITY!!!

Good luck to Pats too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭kksaints

Good luck tonight. Hopefully we will both be celebrating going through.

Come on Cork and Pats! Hopefully all the Irish teams get through and we have a load of money in the league for next year.

Looked like the general consensus on FB was that most LOI fans wanted Dundalk to win last night. Good to see.

Looked like the general consensus on FB was that most LOI fans wanted Dundalk to win last night. Good to see.

But why? Dundalk winning helps no one other than Dundalk. All these comment about raising the profile of the league etc is a load of rubbish.

But why? Dundalk winning helps no one other than Dundalk. All these comment about raising the profile of the league etc is a load of rubbish.

Well if Dundalk win, Cork win and Pats win. Obviously it is going to help all three clubs and therefore make it more competitive next year. A more competitive league will help everyone. Plus..getting through European ties helps the coefficient. However small it helps, if it is done on a consistent basis it will all add up.

Plus...just cos Dundalk have a load of extra money, it won't mean that we will be able to sign a lot of better players. We will still be taking players from the same pool of players more than likely. Realistically who could Dundalk sign right now that would make a huge difference? It just means the club is more stable financially.

• Advertisement

Well if Dundalk win, Cork win and Pats win. Obviously it is going to help all three clubs and therefore make it more competitive next year. A more competitive league will help everyone. Plus..getting through European ties helps the coefficient. However small it helps, if it is done on a consistent basis it will all add up.

Plus...just cos Dundalk have a load of extra money, it won't mean that we will be able to sign a lot of better players. We will still be taking players from the same pool of players more than likely. Realistically who could Dundalk sign right now that would make a huge difference? It just means the club is more stable financially.

Thats grand an all but this myth that one team doing well in Europe is good for the league is exactly that, its a myth. Last night was good for no one apart from Dundalk. City going through tonight will be good for no one but Cork City. Same for Pats. All it means is the teams at the top who get Europe every year will be so far ahead of the rest of the league, we might aswell just split the thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,666 ✭✭✭Worztron

Well done to Dundalk. I support all Irish clubs in Europe.

Now come on City!!!

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Thats grand an all but this myth that one team doing well in Europe is good for the league is exactly that, its a myth. Last night was good for no one apart from Dundalk. City going through tonight will be good for no one but Cork City. Same for Pats. All it means is the teams at the top who get Europe every year will be so far ahead of the rest of the league, we might aswell just split the thing.

Not really. I think that if the top teams in the league are a better standard it improves the whole league. How do young players gain experience? What is a good way to improve? Well...it is playing against better players and tougher opponents. It really helps your game and you realise what you are up against and what standard you have to get your fitness/skill up to.

You often hear people saying that we need the Irish players playing in the premiership to get that experience of playing against top top players. Well..if the three teams in our league are better teams then the whole league improves as the rest of the players get experience playing against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Agree with most of your points! The further all our European representatives go the better in my view. Dundalk are a long way off being a Rosenburg. Should City and Pats progress tonight coupled with Dundalk and Rovers the 4 European clubs will have amassed €2.6m in earnings. Some of this should trickle down to other clubs through transfer fees which currently doesn't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,237 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

A few benefits of Dundaw progressing in my eyes, coming from Cork city fan :
    • Keeps Dundalk busy throughout the rest of the season if they manage to qualify for the group stages of the EL, giving City and other clubs an oppurtunity to challenge for top spot and be in Dundalks current CL position next year gathering the same money.
    • Extra money from Dundalk should increase their quality further, and this should help improve Cork City and others by trying to compete with them
    • Raises the leagues coefficient which benefits every club in it
    • It should increase the market value of players when the money is available, benefitting smaller clubs who can sell
    • Improve Oriel? Nobody wants to go there for an away day
    • How far can 1.5 or 1.6m really go?

• Keeps Dundalk busy throughout the rest of the season if they manage to qualify for the group stages of the EL, giving City and other clubs an oppurtunity to challenge for top spot and be in Dundalks current CL position next year gathering the same money.
    • Extra money from Dundalk should increase their quality further, and this should help improve Cork City and others by trying to compete with them
    • It should increase the market value of players when the money is available, benefitting smaller clubs who can sell

Hopefully they will spend it all on a better pitch :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

I cannot wait for this!!! Coming down from exile in the midlands to see this one and just cannot wait to get out of work and hit the road to the 'Cross.

Brings back memories of 2004 and 2005 in many ways in taking on bigger opposition. The buzz is certainly similar!

COME ON CITY!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭joeysoap

One of benefits of 'summer' football is fitter LOI teams, especially in the early rounds. One of the minus points is the further you progress the more difficult it is to qualify for next year. IMO City and Dundalk should qualify ok. In what order I wouldn't guess.

Everyone knows that Oriel needs upgrading, on and off the pitch. Or move to greenfield site (a distinct possability, now that the Louth GAA have indicated that they are not interested in a move to DKIT, leaving the door open for Dundalk to relocate) € 1.2m won't go very far.

How much did last year's double winning team cost? I make it zilch bar what, if any, compensation they paid CC for Daryl Horgan. Add €20,000 to that for this year (Patrick McEleney from Derry) afaik everyone else was free. Some very strangely by their previous clubs (Gannon, Massey, Boyle to name three)

I'm going to say it again, hope CC have a cracking night tonight and another one against Genk shortly. And good luck to Pat's too, they have the hardest match.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

I think people talking about Dundalk getting better are missing an obvious reality.
    Theres a small playing pool in Ireland and Dundalk already have a strong position when competing for those players.
    It's the pitfall many LOI clubs fall into. But the experience of other side who have spent big in the hope of getting to "the next level" is the end up with the same quality of players only a higher wage bill.
    The intelligent thing for Dundalk to do is invest in infrastructure i.e sorting out their stadium lease situation and begin building new stands & put in a better pitch.
    All they need to do is look over the fence at Drogheda. A side who were inches away from knocking out a European heavy weight a few short years ago but are now a FD side. They play out of a pig sty.
    I do believe the people at Dundalk want to improve Oriel. They have the finances now, get on and do it.

• Advertisement

Just for people that don't know there is a major obstacle in that the owners of the club don't own the ground and there is currently a dispute between Gerry Matthews (previous owner) and the Casey family (who own the lease). So until that is sorted the owners of Dundalk are unwilling (and rightly so) to invest in an infrastructure.

Advertisement