Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The old Capitol Cinema

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,720 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Milly33 wrote: »
    shame on you whiskey shame. The old cinema was not it was dated grand by the time it closed. But imagine if you brought it back to old school days...

All I remember were the sticky floors in the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Frog Song

I think we're looking back on the Capitol with rose tinted glasses. It was a kip.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭BUNK1982

Isn't the new development is designed to fit in with the English Market - a food innovation centre and self catering apartments?

I think that is a great idea - with the convention centre across the road, it will really help Cork gain a reputation as a destination city.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭calnand

They have plans in the complete brewery quarter for a cinema so I doubt anyone else will try to build a new one. At first I was a bit hesitant of the design of the building but I'm starting to kinda like it now, Patrick's street is such a mix match of different building facades it was always going to be difficult to just copy and paste a facade onto the new building. It has to stand out from the other buildings in its own way like Brown Thomas, Debenhams and a few others.

What would be nice is for some shops that are already in the City Centre to upgrade and get a bigger store in the new building, so that hopefully it becomes a mix of new shops with already established shops. This would then allow smaller, newer shops to possibly take over the now vacant stores in the city. It's all hopeful and it's going to be interesting to see how it pans out.

It would be nice for more apartments in the city centre, but I don't think the location would suit it. The building in an infill site with limited street frontage which face onto two of Cork's main streets and an entrance to underground parking would take away from the building.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

All I remember were the sticky floors in the place.

No your thinking of the nightclubs like the pav and that in town and sr henrys haha

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

Milly33 wrote: »
    No your thinking of the nightclubs like the pav and that in town and sr henrys haha

I can remember sticky floors covered in popcorn; they never seemed to clean properly between screenings.

It's great that there is finally something proactive being done with the place. Will hopefully be a great addition to the city.

The Peanut wrote: »
    I can remember sticky floors covered in popcorn; they never seemed to clean properly between screenings.

Yeah, it's not as if all the celebs and glitteratti flocked to it on the night of a premiere, as stated above, it was a complete kip!

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

The smaller cinemas in The Capitol were plagued with roof leaks as well. I certainly recall being in there watching a film while water plip-plopped into a bucket.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Am I right in saying planning hasn't been submitted so we don't know when this project will be starting?

Would love to see a Dunkin Donuts or Krispy Kreme go in there....Cork needs a doughnut spot! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭calnand

Looks like the application was submitted Friday. I miss the doughnuts that were sold from the gingerbread house, nothing like Dunkin Donuts though, my friend worked there when we were on a J1 and you think you would eventually get tired of doughnuts but you don't.

• Advertisement

calnand wrote: »
    Looks like the application was submitted Friday. I miss the doughnuts that were sold from the gingerbread house, nothing like Dunkin Donuts though, my friend worked there when we were on a J1 and you think you would eventually get tired of doughnuts but you don't.

No wonder some Yanks are the size that they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

calnand wrote: »
    you think you would eventually get tired of doughnuts but you don't.

I think I saw in some C4 type 'documentary' that glazed american donuts are fairly perfect in their fat/sugar ratio. It's one of the easiest things to over-eat. Your body just thinks they are a golden food to be stockpiled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

I like the look of the plan thank god not another plan glass front building... also like the fact food feature as part of the plan keeping with the theme of the English market. hopefully it will make that part of town a bit more inviting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Actually what would be nice in there would be a section supporting local artist/craft work. The English Market is one of the main tourist attractions in town and section like that would tap into that market

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I'd love it if it was just an extension of the English market and if they had a massive food market with every type of food imaginable - I remember going to this food market in the basement of a big dept store in San Francisco and it was all fresh and locally made/grown produce - bakery, fruit and veg, a hot counter where you could buy sonething tasty for lunch but it wasnt a run of the mill supermarket; it was amazing, I wanted to buy everything! Would be great for local food businesses too.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

Actually what would be nice in there would be a section supporting local artist/craft work. The English Market is one of the main tourist attractions in town and section like that would tap into that market

What do you mean by a section supporting local artist/craft work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

mire wrote: »
    What do you mean by a section supporting local artist/craft work?

Probably means like the section in douglas village shopping center next to M&S?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

As well as just a Douglas Village SC type area for local crafts that are not big enough to support their own store front on their own, I think it'd be great to have a focus local traders and businesses in the new development - and not just fill it with the likes of Top Shop, Zara, Coast etc.

I really like the extension of the English Market idea too where there is a food section to it. Something like what they have with Harrods in London would be cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭ Apollo Immense Tremor

leahyl wrote: »
    I'd love it if it was just an extension of the English market and if they had a massive food market with every type of food imaginable - I remember going to this food market in the basement of a big dept store in San Francisco and it was all fresh and locally made/grown produce - bakery, fruit and veg, a hot counter where you could buy sonething tasty for lunch but it wasnt a run of the mill supermarket; it was amazing, I wanted to buy everything! Would be great for local food businesses too.

What? You mean EXACTLY like the current English Market?
    'Extending' the market would be a very risky strategy - if it ain't broke, don't fix it. It seems like the perfect size as it is. Regardless, I don't think that's what is planned here. Seems like something to complement the market and not extend.

Overall, a very nice design and an improvement on current condition and previous designs for the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

What? You mean EXACTLY like the current English Market?
    'Extending' the market would be a very risky strategy - if it ain't broke, don't fix it. It seems like the perfect size as it is. Regardless, I don't think that's what is planned here. Seems like something to complement the market and not extend.

Overall, a very nice design and an improvement on current condition and previous designs for the site.

Just an idea. What do you think they should do with it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Pitcairn

More computer images of how it might look.

VxCmr2Z.jpg

Q9X3IHq.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭moyners

I've noticed in all the photomontages they've been made the upper glass storey much more transparent than I think it would look in real life

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

I think the second photo is very funny. Two feens on the "wrong" side of the street but across the street it's ladies who do lunch!

The first photo looks all wrong as well. Washington Street has never been that clean and bright looking. Those red brick buildings are always dingy and dark no matter how strong the sun is.

The first photo looks all wrong as well. Washington Street has never been that clean and bright looking. Those red brick buildings are always dingy and dark no matter how strong the sun is.

And they photoshopped out all the vomit.

Being serious though. Regarding upgrading city centre buildings and all that. I was told recently of a building in the city where no work has been done to it for nearly twenty years by the landlord yet he pulls upwards of 80K per annum in rent from it. I doubt it's an isolated case either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

moyners wrote: »
    I've noticed in all the photomontages they've been made the upper glass storey much more transparent than I think it would look in real life
    I think it will depend on what that glass is actually for, if its there simply to allow light to enter an atrium are so they can maximise natural daylight internally then it will be as transparent as possible with minimal framing.

If that floor has occupied spaces then yes, especially on a west facing facade like that it will need some sort of solar control glass which will be very dark indeed in comparison to what they are currently showing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,266 ✭✭✭cgcsb

will vans continue to illegally park in bicycle lanes less than 10 metres from a junction or will that practice have been stamped out by then?

leahyl wrote: »
    Just an idea. What do you think they should do with it?

I think the plan is for mostly big spaces for department stores or large retailers. I think this makes sense in order to compete with out of town.
    On the food side, I think a space for food education, new food enterprises, talks, small exhibition space, etc, which would complement the Market would be really useful. It should have pedestrian links to the market but not a direct extension.

• Advertisement

moyners wrote: »

I noticed that too. Might well get knocked back in the planning.

Advertisement