Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

MfMan wrote: »
    In the Intermediate, Carna-Caiseal beat Oranmore in the play-off match, thus eliminating them; they now play Menlough in the 1/4s I believe. In the 1/4 proper, Monivea/Abbey beat last year's beaten finalists An Spideal 0-9 to 0-7.

In Senior, Milltown and Salthill looking strong for the final, if they can avoid each other; both starting to put up good scores, always a good sign of a club team. Shame Corofin weren't beaten, either by Barna or by Claregalway yesterday. Would really open it up. Tuam Stars play the team that emerges from the Mountbellew / Micheal Breathnachs / Cortoon situation. Mountbellew, morally wrong in this fiasco whatever about the technicalities, should really forget about it at this stage, they're not going to win the co. final and won't be relegated either.

Carna-Caiseal play Atherny next.
    Oughterard vs St Brendans
    Menlough vs Kilconly
    Monevia are through.

I agree Salthill are looking good even without Army, but can't look past Corofin even if they are scraping through.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭gandroid

Starie1975 wrote: »
    I was in Ros Muc at the Oileain Arainn vs Cliften (Junior A west semi final) it finished 4-9 to 12 points to Arainn.

Just FYI it's "Clifden" !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭MfMan

Carna-Caiseal play Atherny next.
    Oughterard vs St Brendans
    Menlough vs Kilconly
    Monevia are through.

I agree Salthill are looking good even without Army, but can't look past Corofin even if they are scraping through.

You're right, Carna take on Athenry, and will be favourites to progress, as should Oughterard. Menlough / Kilconly will be real close, though I'd tip the latter.

Perhaps easier to beat Corofin in earlier rather than later rounds. Don't think any of the others would fear them hugely; Corofin's usual problems are still present - no flair in attack. Find it very difficult to score freely.

gandroid wrote: »
    Just FYI it's "Clifden" !

Oh lord! I was going to write An Clochán but as it's not in the gealtacht I wrote it in English. Thanks for the correction btw ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Corofin's usual problems are still present - no flair in attack. Find it very difficult to score freely.

You're spot on, and I reckon that's why this Corofin team haven't made any great impact outside of Galway in the All-Ireland series, as they're lacking that standout forward or two that you need at that level.

• Advertisement

H'on the minors on Sunday.

H'on the minors on Sunday.

They're up against it. This Dublin team is by all accounts the best minor team they've had in a long time.

But our minors should take inspiration from what the U-21s did earlier in the year, no-one gave them a hope of beating what was considered a very good Cork team. But they refused to follow the script and look what happened.

If the lads believe in themselves and take to Croke Park as Galway teams have often done in the past, then they've every chance.

aidan24326 wrote: »
    They're up against it. This Dublin team is by all accounts the best minor team they've had in a long time.

But our minors should take inspiration from what the U-21s did earlier in the year, no-one gave them a hope of beating what was considered a very good Cork team. But they refused to follow the script and look what happened.

If the lads believe in themselves and take to Croke Park as Galway teams have often done in the past, then they've every chance.

I wouldn't believe rubbish talk about teams potential at under age.

It would be foolish enough to do it at U21 where at least the players have a few years behind them and some are senior, but at Minor nobody has seen any of these lads tested more then once at most.

We're 4/1 to beat them and I'll be having some of that myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

It would be foolish enough to do it at U21 where at least the players have a few years behind them and some are senior, but at Minor nobody has seen any of these lads tested more then once at most.

This Dublin minor football team looks awesome though. They obliterated Kildare, and then pulled away against Meath, and beat Cork comfortably.

Have Galway any dual players at minor level?

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Opelfruit

This Dublin minor football team looks awesome though. They obliterated Kildare, and then pulled away against Meath, and beat Cork comfortably.

Have Galway any dual players at minor level?
    Fairly rare in Galway as different areas of the county tend to concentrate on one game at the others expense. Alan Kerins was a notable exception at senior level but he played his football with Salthill, not his native Clarinbridge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

While I agree minors are by their very nature unpredictable and unreliable, and 4/1 in a two horse race is generous, it is not rubbish that is been spouted about this Dublin team, I have seen them 3 times now and they are the real deal, physically huge and extremely talented footballers, certainly thus far the most impressive minor team I have seen for years.

We await the winners with what is widely regarded in Tipp as the best minor team we have had since 1984 and probably even superior to that one and most Tipp people fear that Dublin could hockey us in the final. They played Cork in the QF on the same day we played Meath and tbh the pick of the 3 other teams wouldnt have got near them.

While I agree minors are by their very nature unpredictable and unreliable, and 4/1 in a two horse race is generous, it is not rubbish that is been spouted about this Dublin team, I have seen them 3 times now and they are the real deal, physically huge and extremely talented footballers, certainly thus far the most impressive minor team I have seen for years.

We await the winners with what is widely regarded in Tipp as the best minor team we have had since 1984 and probably even superior to that one and most Tipp people fear that Dublin could hockey us in the final. They played Cork in the QF on the same day we played Meath and tbh the pick of the 3 other teams wouldnt have got near them.

I didn't mean it was rubbish about this particular Dublin team.

I meant in the general sense it's rubbish to believe that any team should be less then evens and a ''sure thing'' which somewhat happened when we played Clare in the hurling and more so the Cork U21s in Football earlier this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

I meant in the general sense it's rubbish to believe that any team should be less then evens and a ''sure thing''

Will you lay Dublin @ evens for €500 so?? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Brilliant win for the minors today. Maloney is some prospect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

What is the deal with the club football championship in Galway? I jear that there is some dispite going for months holding it up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Mountbellew Moylough lost to Micheál Breathnachs and it came out that one of the Breathnaighs was ineligible to play.

I think that's the uproar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

Mountbellew Moylough lost to Micheál Breathnachs and it came out that one of the Breathnaighs was ineligible to play.

I think that's the uproar.

But that was ages ago. I heard there have been a series of appeals since and no conclusion..............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭RealityCheck

But that was ages ago. I heard there have been a series of appeals since and no conclusion..............

Its been resolved.

Replay between the two teams next week. With all rounds involving the likes of Tuam and Cortoon being played over the next 4 weeks. Semis due to be played in October. 3 teams Milltown, Salthill and Corofin will have to wait another month to play. Salthill and Milltown will nearly have gone 2 months without a game. Ridiculous but at least its been "resolved".

Brilliant win for the minors today. Maloney is some prospect.

Maloney does have great potential but then we were saying the same about Kerril Wade a few years ago, and several other next-big-thing minors over the past decade and more.

I thought Padraig Brehony was outstanding, he looks to have everything. Mannion at corner back was brilliant aswell, reminiscent of a young Ollie Canning with his reading of the game.

But at this stage it's getting ridiculous that we keep producing these exceptional minors year after year and still keep failing at senior level. Most counties would kill to have the conveyor belt of underage talent that Galway have, but why it's not translating into senior success is the great ongoing mystery.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

But at this stage it's getting ridiculous that we keep producing these exceptional minors year after year and still keep failing at senior level. Most counties would kill to have the conveyor belt of underage talent that Galway have, but why it's not translating into senior success is the great ongoing mystery.

Maybe one of the reasons is that we have an advantage at minor and U-21 that is simply not there at Senior - i.e. we get straight into a quarter or semi-final without playing a game.

Also, IMO there is sometimes too much made of winning a minor or U-21. Its an underage title, nothing more. Look at the seniors against Waterford in July - nearly everyone of the Galway lads had minor or U-21 AI medals (some had multiples of both) and Waterford had only Tony Browne AFAIK, yet they were able to beat us off the park.

Determination, heart, will to win can make up for an awful lot of percieved talent in a county.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Kojak wrote: »
    Maybe one of the reasons is that we have an advantage at minor and U-21 that is simply not there at Senior - i.e. we get straight into a quarter or semi-final without playing a game.

It wasn't an advantage to Galway all through the 90s to play a single match was it? - they only won 2/3 matches in that decade.

If the minors had played Dublin in the semi final (i.e. if KK beat Waterford) Dublin would probably have won. The Galway took it's time to get started against Clare and only got to grips with the game in the second half.

It wouldn't have been a disaster either had the U21s been beaten by Limerick (which could easily have happened).

The reason for the Minor success is rather simple, they're playing at a high level than most of the rest of the lads in the country - adult club level in Galway is probably only equaled in Kilkenny. All that team are playing either senior or intermediate championship and Murphy rarely picks a lad that isn't playing for the 1st team. The result is that they don't have to step up that much to beat most teams in the country.

The difference between Galway & the rest of the country is that Galway have a lot of decent-good players but few very good or excellent. This is where the success at underage causes problems because the most of the players don't know how to step up to the knew level since they've never really had to make a big step up before.

Oh yeah theres also the other thing where we tend to try to bring in several young lads at the same time and start culling those that don't succeed immediately.

Maloney does have great potential but then we were saying the same about Kerril Wade a few years ago, and several other next-big-thing minors over the past decade and more.

I thought Padraig Brehony was outstanding, he looks to have everything. Mannion at corner back was brilliant aswell, reminiscent of a young Ollie Canning with his reading of the game.

It's a bit harsh to already cast them to obscurity on the basis of years gone by.

It's not a Galway problem, it's just we've won more than a few over the years to fall for it more then most.

Winning the cup doesn't matter, it's what you can take from the team.

If we lost that Clare game would it really mean the difference from some of these players making it?... course not.

If it was so much of a formality than we wouldn't have got JC through from a few years ago, you could tell he had what it took to make it at senior.
    With three years of minor behind him Shane will probably make it too.

After that unfortunately there are no real stand out players, yes some lads had a good game in either the final or semi but we also had around 5/6 who has stormers in 2009 who aren't exactly looking the same at U21(Glennon has an amazing final (similar to Brehony yest) from midfield as well, Regan played well, Badger, Cooney etc) and unfortunately for us we may have lost the best player from that team- Daithi Burke who hurled again in minor last year.... he seemed to, like JC and Maloney have that bit extra over the rest.

He isn't playing U21 this year and a similar named lad is playing with Corofin(he hurls for Turloughmore which I believe is the same area) seniors so looks like he's going to throw his lot in there.

As for Kerril Wade I wouldn't say he was a lot cause.... he's still young and had a good year round 2007?.... and basically withdrew himself until this year (but picked up an injury and left again).
    Hopefully will return next year.

I just think most people worry too much about the wins and not the individuals, but from the 2009 and 2011 there is more potential for players to come through then from JC's teams or 99/00

It's a bit harsh to already cast them to obscurity on the basis of years gone by.

It's not a Galway problem, it's just we've won more than a few over the years to fall for it more then most.

Winning the cup doesn't matter, it's what you can take from the team.

If we lost that Clare game would it really mean the difference from some of these players making it?... course not.

If it was so much of a formality than we wouldn't have got JC through from a few years ago, you could tell he had what it took to make it at senior.
    With three years of minor behind him Shane will probably make it too.

After that unfortunately there are no real stand out players, yes some lads had a good game in either the final or semi but we also had around 5/6 who has stormers in 2009 who aren't exactly looking the same at U21(Glennon has an amazing final (similar to Brehony yest) from midfield as well, Regan played well, Badger, Cooney etc) and unfortunately for us we may have lost the best player from that team- Daithi Burke who hurled again in minor last year.... he seemed to, like JC and Maloney have that bit extra over the rest.

He isn't playing U21 this year and a similar named lad is playing with Corofin(he hurls for Turloughmore which I believe is the same area) seniors so looks like he's going to throw his lot in there.

As for Kerril Wade I wouldn't say he was a lot cause.... he's still young and had a good year round 2007?.... and basically withdrew himself until this year (but picked up an injury and left again).
    Hopefully will return next year.

I just think most people worry too much about the wins and not the individuals, but from the 2009 and 2011 there is more potential for players to come through then from JC's teams or 99/00

Daithi is a son of Gerry, former Corofin stalwart. Lives in Cregmore I think, so hurls for Turlough', not too sure why he plays for Corofin instead of Claregalway. Very good prospect at minor, and may yet be again. Don't think he's on the U-21 panel as he was injured earlier in the year and is slowly coming back to full fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭derealbadger

So the year is over and its a very strange report card but with a lot of similarity's between football and hurling young lads a source of pride and seniors a source of embarrassment

U21 Football AI Champions
    U21 Hurling AI Champions
    Minor Footballers unlucky not to have made the final
    Minor Hurling AI Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭derealbadger

Almost forgot the camogie best of luck in the final tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 17,192 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

So the year is over and its a very strange report card but with a lot of similarity's between football and hurling young lads a source of pride and seniors a source of embarrassment

U21 Football AI Champions
    U21 Hurling AI Champions
    Minor Footballers unlucky not to have made the final
    Minor Hurling AI Champions

A poor year at senior level yet we've won 3 out of the 4 available All-Ireland's at underage and we were in the semi-final of the other one. Still producing plenty of talent anyway but we really need these young lads to kick on now.

A poor year at senior level yet we've won 3 out of the 4 available All-Ireland's at underage and we were in the semi-final of the other one. Still producing plenty of talent anyway but we really need these young lads to kick on now.

Well pointed out. Reasons to be cheerful one two three....:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭kildare9

Fair play on the win tonight lads, a different class compared to Dublin. As my father is a Galway man, I was delighted to see ye win it (also the fact that ye were playing Dublin too :D)

One of the richest memories of the year was the trimming C'bridge gave to the KK champs, O'Loughlin Gaels, in the club final. Barry Daly, Young Player of the Year anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Barry Daly, Young Player of the Year anyone?

No, definatly not. He might win the "hero of the future" award (or whatever is the exact title of the award) for the U-21 championship itself, but Young Hurler of the Year is based on what an U-21 does at senior level. On that basis, its Liam Rushe's award imo.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement