Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Personal Injury whilst on a Dublin Bus

• 24-06-2008 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Not sure if this is the correct forum to post this - so mods feel free to move it.

My girlfriend was on her way to work on a Dublin Bus which went too fast over a speed ramp. She was upstairs and sitting down the back on the last row. The force at which the driver went over the ramp lifted her off seat (along with others on the bus) and when she landed back down had a severe pain in her lower back.

She didn't say it to the driver immediately but rang Dublin Bus when she got to work. She then had to leave work and go to her doctor - who says she has whiplash.

She doesnt have a history of back pain and is now off work as a result.

What is the correct proceedure here? She has contacted a representative from Dublin Bus who says he contacted the driver and the driver states that he never went over any speed ramp. The rep from Dublin Bus is yet to examine the CCTV footage.

Just wondering is she going about this the right way of complaining and I'm just wondering has anyone had a similar experience dealing with Dublin Bus?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

The correct procedure for what exactly?
    Get a new doctor. His knowledge is suspect. Although not limited to the cervical vertebrae and surrounding immediate area, it's commonly what people refer to whiplash as. As for getting back pain from going over a speed bump on a padded seat on the upper deck of a bus ... are you kidding me? She must have had back problems prior to this whether she knew it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Karoma wrote: »
    The correct procedure for what exactly?
    Get a new doctor. His knowledge is suspect.

Are you a doctor? What do you mean?

I mean she has severe lower back pain, pins and needles in her hands.

I mean the correct proceedure for lodging a compalint, and getting re-imbursed for pain and upset/medical expenses?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Have a read through their customer charter.

As for getting back pain from going over a speed bump on a padded seat on the upper deck of a bus ... are you kidding me? She must have had back problems prior to this whether she knew it or not.

Read the post - he was going too fast over a speed bump. I wouldn't waste my time typing this unless it was true. No, she never had back problems before. She was thrown up into the air and landed back down - if the driver was going over the speed bump properly this would not have happened.

Quit trying to find holes in the truth I am saying.

Are you a doctor? What do you mean?
    My medical training is limited, as is my legal training - no. However, it was enough to teach me the difference between upper and lower spine and that "whiplash" usually involves the upper spine. Although pain may not be confined to this area alone, it at least starts there from a sudden jerking movemet.
    Also, what you're describing as the cause of it is absurd. How many people in smaller vehicles with less protection (padding, mass, distance, suspension, etc.) drive over speedbumps at greater speeds and not suffer injury?

I'm not saying that you're lying. You probably do believe this to be the truth; I just think you're misguided.

• Advertisement

My medical training is limited, as is my legal training - no. However, it was enough to teach me the difference between upper and lower spine and that "whiplash" usually involves the upper spine. Although pain may not be confined to this area alone, it at least starts there from a sudden jerking movemet.
    Also, what you're describing as the cause of it is absurd. How many people in smaller vehicles with less protection (padding, mass, distance, suspension, etc.) drive over speedbumps at greater speeds and not suffer injury?

It started in her shoulders and moved down as her doctor told her it would. As regards what you are saying regarding what I am describing as being absurd - this happened ok. It's how you land and she obviously landed badly which caused her this injury.

THIS HAPPENED HOW I DESCRIBED IT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭MiniD

If you're considering legal action, you'd probably be better contacting a solicitor rather than posting the information on a public messageboard. I'm sure as a public transport company carrying millions of people every week, Dublin Bus probably have a system in place for dealing with these kind of things.

I've been on buses with bad suspension where every bump in the road shakes passengers, it can be even worse when upstairs. I have no idea why we need so many speed ramps in this city. There are some bus routes which literally throw you around the place. I think the 14A has to be one of the worst.

Hope your girlfriend makes a speedy recovery.

I just think you're misguided.

Misguided how exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

Calm down kids!! Advice is to get things in writing quickly to Dublin Bus (and the local authority). BUT, how does anyone know how fast the bus was going and who is going to determine if the speed going over the ramp was too fast.......Because nothing was mentioned at the time, works against the claimaint and was there any witnesses or do you know the registration number of the bus? If no-one else was injuired it could just be poor luck....but I wasn't there so I cannot say....hope this helps sort out the agro :eek:

It started in her shoulders and moved down as her doctor told her it would. ...

THIS HAPPENED HOW I DESCRIBED IT.
    That's not how you originally described it. Nice of the doc. to inform her what symptoms she should expect.
    Where was this speedramp?
    No doubt about it, speed bumps + buses = unpleasant journies. I've been bumped around a few times, as someone 6ft+ I've hit my head/kneck once or twice too. Still, no spinal damage. Talk to a solicitor, if you want to take legal proceedings. You'll find a good one on GoldenPages.ie or chasing an ambulance.

• Advertisement

I'm assuming as a mod you can read the initial post of his before he edited it then? Your comments do come across overly hostile otherwise.

Nevertheless, get off the internet and go find a solicitor OP if you want to do something.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Take pictures of road at the location and make sure that DB retain their video and vehicle data.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

OP, either consult with a solicitor or take your chances here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

A Good solicitor will take up the case with PIAB (Personal Injuries assessment board). The quicker you act on it the better. CIE may only hold on to their cctv footage for few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Easy money:rolleyes: Contact a solicitor. Why is legal advice allowed on boards.ie if medical advice is not. Tut Tut.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭patrickc

i always thought if there was any incident the driver must be informed at the time, or no claim will be entertained

jaffa20 wrote: »
    Easy money:rolleyes: Contact a solicitor. Why is legal advice allowed on boards.ie if medical advice is not. Tut Tut.

It's not. 'Go to a solicitor' is the extent of it; everything else is commenting and not advising.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

There is a notice on the bus saying that "Incidents involving passengers must be reported to the driver before alighting. Subsequent reported incidents will not be entertained."

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

MiniD correctly identifies the 14/14A-48A routes as a valid illustration of the Bus vs Traffic Management Device arguement.

Having read of our City Manager`s recent publicised belief that we enjoyed a "World Class" traffic management system I would suggest inviting this fellow to spend a Driving Day on any of these routes before he resorts to colourful phraseology which is at best idealistic and at worst purte untruth.

I was under the impression that the Dept of the Environment had a set of standards governing the placement of such Traffic Calming measures.
    I was also under the impression that these standards called for such measures where used on a Bus Route to be constructed in such a manner as to be Bus Friendly ie: the spacing and attenuation of the ramps to be such that a Bus could pass between or over them without interference.

In the case of the 14/A-48A routes it would seem that several Local Authorities decided to totally ignore any such best-practice in favour of installing some of the most anti-social measures to be found anywhere in Dublin.

I am of the opinion that there is NO safe manner for these routes to use their current alignment particularly the stretch from Beaumont Avenue via Ballinteer to the Dundrum Centre.

As for the OP`s question about the "right way of going about things", I rather suspect that this forum is most certainly the very best way of NOT going about it.
    Medical Opinion,Legal Advice,Witnesses or Supporting Evidence rather than any he said-she said type of stuff is the only way to progress any such claim against Dublin Bus or ANY operator.

Lets know how your GF progresses ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Red Alert wrote: »
    There is a notice on the bus saying that "Incidents involving passengers must be reported to the driver before alighting. Subsequent reported incidents will not be entertained."
    They can put a sign up saying what they like. Doesn't have any standing if the driver acted carelessly etc. All depends on the evidence available etc ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭patrickc

Red Alert wrote: »

as i said too
    random wrote: »
    They can put a sign up saying what they like. Doesn't have any standing if the driver acted carelessly etc. All depends on the evidence available etc ...

how can they prove it though? it's not like the new buseireann lc's with the cameras on the front of the buses looking out on the road

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

jaffa20 wrote: »

If this thread were on LD I'd close it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

The 14/14A route is every bit as bad as described with the entire route from the ballinteer avenue/broadford juntion right through to the bottle tower completley "speed bumped". On this route avoid sitting on the top deck at the very front or very rear.

They have done the same to the road near the strawberry beds - this was once a very pleasent drive through a country setting beside the liffey but not any more.

MiniD and others have correctly identified the fact that she should have reported it before getting off - this might impact any claim she might make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭shltter

patrickc wrote: »
    as i said too

how can they prove it though? it's not like the new buseireann lc's with the cameras on the front of the buses looking out on the road

All Dublin Buses have a forward facing camera as well as numerous internal cameras if the incident was reported to DB then they should already have kept a copy of the incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I'm closing this. C&T is not a source of legal advice beyond "consult someone more qualified in bringing claims".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement