Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I've bought a Gibson

• 23-10-2015 12:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭

And I wanna know how to properly care for it? Like should I buy a stand or store it in a hard case? What's the best thing to clean it with? Etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Dermoth

GrayFox208 wrote: »
    And I wanna know how to properly care for it? Like should I buy a stand or store it in a hard case? What's the best thing to clean it with? Etc.

If you get an original, I think there's an accompanying booklet on care and maintenance of that instrument. If not, it should be on Gibson website. I might be mixed up with another brand but I think it gives you cleaning, string gauge etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

In general you should not rest any guitar with a nitro(cellulose) finish, like your new Gibson, on a guitar stand unless the makers of the stand specifically state that it is nitro safe.

If the plastic of the stand is not nitro safe it can cause bubbling and discolouration to the finish due to the volatility of the chemicals they use.

I never leave my nitro guitars on the crumby stand I bought in Waltons for €15.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,230 ✭✭✭✭endacl

For the first while, if you're not playing it, it's in the case. And vice versa.

Once you realise that you've bought a fairly robust lump of wood and not a delicate little snowflake, treat it like you would any of your other relatively expensive purchases.*

*Mine is in bits, but in my defence, most of the dings count as 'experience' rather than 'damage'...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭GrayFox208

endacl wrote: »
    For the first while, if you're not playing it, it's in the case. And vice versa.

Once you realise that you've bought a fairly robust lump of wood and not a delicate little snowflake, treat it like you would any of your other relatively expensive purchases.*

*Mine is in bits, but in my defence, most of the dings count as 'experience' rather than 'damage'...

The wood is strong, the paint won't be. I'll be quite upset with myself if I let it get damaged in any way haha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TheBiz

Bought a 02 J45 in great nick and chipped the paint on the back of the headstock (the very top, it seems like a common thing to happen!) I was p!ssed for the day then I realized it still sounds the same, and thats why I bought it, so I got over it..

Just keep it in the case and don't leave it lying anywhere you wouldn't leave a baby!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Ah it'll be grand, sure I dropped my LP Jr. through a glass coffee table! Small chip on the headstock but it was fine otherwise. Just watch for guitar stands with rubber or foam on them. They can "melt" the finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭-=al=-

The first ding is always the worst :pac:

I'd imagine keeping it in its case would be the best for it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

If there is any chance at all that it could fall off a stand, don't use it. Gibson headstocks are notorious for breakage from even minor falls.

Advertisement