Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread - Page 112 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

22-06-2015, 22:17   #1666
manofwisdom

50/50 game i would say normally but hard to know how Roscommon will approach this game and what will the mindset be like after losing a Connacht semi final they were expected to win. Cavan pushed Monaghan all the way in Ulster and were far more impressive against London than Roscommon was.
Advertisement
22-06-2015, 22:49   #1667
Stoner

Send a message via Skype™ to Stoner
I think Cavan would be rated higher than Sligo.

Also who was the number 26 for roscommon yesterday. I don't know if it was the angle or a very small sligo player he was standing bedside at the end of the game, but he looked like a giant on the highlights

It might have been a Dougal near far away moment. But he looks very tall.
22-06-2015, 23:26   #1668
jesuisros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoner View Post
Also who was the number 26 for roscommon yesterday. I don't know if it was the angle or a very small sligo player he was standing bedside at the end of the game, but he looked like a giant on the highlights
That's Michael Finneran, he's 6' 5"
Thanks from:
22-06-2015, 23:36   #1669
Stoner

Send a message via Skype™ to Stoner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesuisros
That's Michael Finneran, he's 6' 5"
So a small Sligo man!
23-06-2015, 00:00   #1670
TCDStudent1

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadodge View Post
Anybody thinking this is a gimme for Roscommon is being doubly foolish, considering what just happened at the weekend. This is a tough match for Roscommon, especially in Breffni.

I know there's more in the team than what they showed at the weekend, but so many played poorly you'd have to wonder why. Even playing well, it will be tough, the league match was a draw, but in all honesty Cavan were the better side and Ros were lucky to finish level.

A big improvement is required.
I didnt see any of that match. But I wouldnt read too much into league matches to judge where your team is at right now. I certainly wouldn't look back at Galway's matches in the league to evaluate where they are in the championship now.

While Roscommon got promoted to division 1, there is very very little between all the teams in division 2 (& probably the bottom 2 teams of division 1). Above that, there is a very obvious jump in standard. So while Roscommon should be happy that they got promoted to division 1, it does not suddenly make them as good as Dublin, Kerry, Mayo etc. Although in fairness, I think most supporters know that.
Advertisement
23-06-2015, 12:05   #1671
therambler

A few reasons why I think Roscommon lost against Sligo:

1) Poor tackling. If you look back at the game, although we had enough players back, the Roscommon defense was too stretched. Look at the Sligo defense in comparison and you'll see how tightly packed they were, forcing Roscommon out wide and forcing us to take shots that weren't on.

2) Not mobile enough in midfield. I thought Cathal Shine and Ian Kilbride did well in midfield, the middle third in midfield were completely over ran. There wasn't enough pressure on the Sligo kickers so the could easily kick accurate ball into their midfielders

3) Ball watching on the sideline. Curran's remarks were way over the top but I felt John Evans was too slow to react to what was happening in front of him.. Carty and Collins should have been switched early on, Kilbride was left on for too long.. No apparent plan going forwward.. No plan B...

4) Non-existant wing forwards. There's enough forwards in Roscommon without playing half-backs there. They were too defensive and slow to push forward when we were on the attack.
23-06-2015, 13:04   #1672
nice_guy80

Quote:
Originally Posted by therambler View Post
A few reasons why I think Roscommon lost against Sligo:

1) Poor tackling. If you look back at the game, although we had enough players back, the Roscommon defense was too stretched. Look at the Sligo defense in comparison and you'll see how tightly packed they were, forcing Roscommon out wide and forcing us to take shots that weren't on.

2) Not mobile enough in midfield. I thought Cathal Shine and Ian Kilbride did well in midfield, the middle third in midfield were completely over ran. There wasn't enough pressure on the Sligo kickers so the could easily kick accurate ball into their midfielders

3) Ball watching on the sideline. Curran's remarks were way over the top but I felt John Evans was too slow to react to what was happening in front of him.. Carty and Collins should have been switched early on, Kilbride was left on for too long.. No apparent plan going forwward.. No plan B...

4) Non-existant wing forwards. There's enough forwards in Roscommon without playing half-backs there. They were too defensive and slow to push forward when we were on the attack.
5 Playing injured players. There is a long list of injured players, mainly from county training.

6 Ward playing centre back for the first time all year. Wtf was that about?
23-06-2015, 14:13   #1673
SureYWouldntYa

Game against Cavan is on rte, 5pm throw in

http://www.the42.ie/cork-wexford-hur...e=twitter_self
(2) thanks from:
24-06-2015, 19:31   #1674
Addle

Quote:
Originally Posted by naughto View Post
Was there any work done on the Hyde so it could take the Connacht final ??
http://connachtgaa.ie/venue-decided-...ampaign=buffer
Advertisement
25-06-2015, 00:58   #1675
yabadabado

Didnt take the CC long to throw their rules out the window,I presume Sligo refused point black to play the game in McHale so The Hyde was the other option or a half empty Salthill.
Would have been interested to see what the CC would have done if Ros Mayo played this years final in McHale and then met again in the final 2016.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion