Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Soyokakano wrote: »
    They should beat Cavan. Then again thats what everyone said about Sligo. And Cavan are not going to let Roscommon just come into their back yard and get away lightly

Should beat Cavan? With Cavan at home I'd make them slight favourites. Worst possible draw for Roscommon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭Soyokakano

Johner wrote: »
    Should beat Cavan? With Cavan at home I'd make them slight favourites. Worst possible draw for Roscommon.

Roscommon are a Division 1 team, Top 8 teams in the country. They should beat Cavan. But may not

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Jampip

Roscommon are a Division 1 team, Top 8 teams in the country. They should beat Cavan. But may not

Roscommon should beat Cavan, you are indeed correct. However, as a Cavan supporter, I'd hope we have a decent chance.

We would probably prefer if the game was away tbh. We've performed better away from home in recent years than we have in Breffni.

What is Roscommon's full back like? Chances are we'll have 6 foot 6 Michael Argue operating at full forward. He's not a full forward for me but he's a big man. He could do with using his strength a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,313 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

They are a division 1 team next year (and may not last very long there). They lost to other division 2 sides during the league and lost to a division 3 side last weekend. They could definitely lose to Cavan.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

we should have to much in the tank for cavan assuming we show up the next day, we have them a good beating in the league this year and beat them last year to from what I remember

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

we should have to much in the tank for cavan assuming we show up the next day, we have them a good beating in the league this year and beat them last year to from what I remember

I'm not sure we will ever recover tbh from that beating ye gave us in the league this year Tom.

On a more serious note it's a fascinating match-up with both teams under pressure to go out and perform.

Is Evans really under pressure or is Curran grinding an axe? What's the story with injuries in the Roscommon camp.

Based on recent history, Roscommon have had the upper hand over Cavan but I would see this being a lot tighter. Home advantage probably is not that relevant in this fixture.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Not sure what game you saw we drew with Cavan in the league this year.

Ros are 11/8 with Boyles, 10/11 on PP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

If Cavan use Michael Argue well at full forward they'll win. Roscommon with injuries causing losses of Kevin Higgins, Diarmuid Murtagh and a half fit Senan Kilbride has really robbed Roscommon of three of their most important players.Also a lot of the Roscommon bench havent played much senior football. Finally Roscommon look tired. Had no pace against Sligo. Can see Cavan winning comfortably enough. Shut down Cathal Cregg and Enda Smith.

If Cavan use Michael Argue well at full forward they'll win. Roscommon with injuries causing losses of Kevin Higgins, Diarmuid Murtagh and a half fit Senan Kilbride has really robbed Roscommon of three of their most important players.Also a lot of the Roscommon bench havent played much senior football. Finally Roscommon look tired. Had no pace against Sligo. Can see Cavan winning comfortably enough. Shut down Cathal Cregg and Enda Smith.

Are those three definitely out of the match?

Cavan will be without Rory Dunne and Killian Clarke - two very important players and we don't have a like for like replacement for Rory Dunne.

Really couldn't see Cavan winning comfortably. No doubt both teams will be well up for this - Roscommon will have a big point to prove.

Will be a tight tight game in my view.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭Soyokakano

Jampip wrote: »
    Roscommon should beat Cavan, you are indeed correct. However, as a Cavan supporter, I'd hope we have a decent chance.

We would probably prefer if the game was away tbh. We've performed better away from home in recent years than we have in Breffni.

What is Roscommon's full back like? Chances are we'll have 6 foot 6 Michael Argue operating at full forward. He's not a full forward for me but he's a big man. He could do with using his strength a bit more.

That would be the Roscommon captain Niall Carty. He'd be one of their better players

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭pjmn

After Saturday evening hard to see us winning in Cavan - Evans has a job of work to do to re-energise them....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Can see Cavan winning this.

Roscommon might just have peaked for the end of the league

• Registered Users Posts: 5,286 ✭✭✭megadodge

Anybody thinking this is a gimme for Roscommon is being doubly foolish, considering what just happened at the weekend. This is a tough match for Roscommon, especially in Breffni.

I know there's more in the team than what they showed at the weekend, but so many played poorly you'd have to wonder why. Even playing well, it will be tough, the league match was a draw, but in all honesty Cavan were the better side and Ros were lucky to finish level.

A big improvement is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

50/50 game i would say normally but hard to know how Roscommon will approach this game and what will the mindset be like after losing a Connacht semi final they were expected to win. Cavan pushed Monaghan all the way in Ulster and were far more impressive against London than Roscommon was.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I think Cavan would be rated higher than Sligo.

Also who was the number 26 for roscommon yesterday. I don't know if it was the angle or a very small sligo player he was standing bedside at the end of the game, but he looked like a giant on the highlights

It might have been a Dougal near far away moment. But he looks very tall.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 jesuisros

Stoner wrote: »
    Also who was the number 26 for roscommon yesterday. I don't know if it was the angle or a very small sligo player he was standing bedside at the end of the game, but he looked like a giant on the highlights

That's Michael Finneran, he's 6' 5"

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

jesuisros wrote:
    That's Michael Finneran, he's 6' 5"

So a small Sligo man!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

megadodge wrote: »
    Anybody thinking this is a gimme for Roscommon is being doubly foolish, considering what just happened at the weekend. This is a tough match for Roscommon, especially in Breffni.

I know there's more in the team than what they showed at the weekend, but so many played poorly you'd have to wonder why. Even playing well, it will be tough, the league match was a draw, but in all honesty Cavan were the better side and Ros were lucky to finish level.

A big improvement is required.

I didnt see any of that match. But I wouldnt read too much into league matches to judge where your team is at right now. I certainly wouldn't look back at Galway's matches in the league to evaluate where they are in the championship now.

While Roscommon got promoted to division 1, there is very very little between all the teams in division 2 (& probably the bottom 2 teams of division 1). Above that, there is a very obvious jump in standard. So while Roscommon should be happy that they got promoted to division 1, it does not suddenly make them as good as Dublin, Kerry, Mayo etc. Although in fairness, I think most supporters know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭therambler

A few reasons why I think Roscommon lost against Sligo:

1) Poor tackling. If you look back at the game, although we had enough players back, the Roscommon defense was too stretched. Look at the Sligo defense in comparison and you'll see how tightly packed they were, forcing Roscommon out wide and forcing us to take shots that weren't on.

2) Not mobile enough in midfield. I thought Cathal Shine and Ian Kilbride did well in midfield, the middle third in midfield were completely over ran. There wasn't enough pressure on the Sligo kickers so the could easily kick accurate ball into their midfielders

3) Ball watching on the sideline. Curran's remarks were way over the top but I felt John Evans was too slow to react to what was happening in front of him.. Carty and Collins should have been switched early on, Kilbride was left on for too long.. No apparent plan going forwward.. No plan B...

4) Non-existant wing forwards. There's enough forwards in Roscommon without playing half-backs there. They were too defensive and slow to push forward when we were on the attack.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

therambler wrote: »
    A few reasons why I think Roscommon lost against Sligo:

1) Poor tackling. If you look back at the game, although we had enough players back, the Roscommon defense was too stretched. Look at the Sligo defense in comparison and you'll see how tightly packed they were, forcing Roscommon out wide and forcing us to take shots that weren't on.

2) Not mobile enough in midfield. I thought Cathal Shine and Ian Kilbride did well in midfield, the middle third in midfield were completely over ran. There wasn't enough pressure on the Sligo kickers so the could easily kick accurate ball into their midfielders

3) Ball watching on the sideline. Curran's remarks were way over the top but I felt John Evans was too slow to react to what was happening in front of him.. Carty and Collins should have been switched early on, Kilbride was left on for too long.. No apparent plan going forwward.. No plan B...

4) Non-existant wing forwards. There's enough forwards in Roscommon without playing half-backs there. They were too defensive and slow to push forward when we were on the attack.

5 Playing injured players. There is a long list of injured players, mainly from county training.

6 Ward playing centre back for the first time all year. Wtf was that about?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Didnt take the CC long to throw their rules out the window,I presume Sligo refused point black to play the game in McHale so The Hyde was the other option or a half empty Salthill.
    Would have been interested to see what the CC would have done if Ros Mayo played this years final in McHale and then met again in the final 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

There was a hell of a lot of yap about the team after the Sligo game and with the injuries and the early goal conceded it was all set up for the team to cave in up in Breffni.

Some wonderful spurts of play and a much better performance than the last day. Not close to complete though but getting that game over us is a huge boost. Hopefully unlike last year we back up a good showing against Cavan with a win in Round 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Syferus wrote: »
    There was a hell of a lot of yap about the team after the Sligo game and with the injuries and the early goal conceded it was all set up for the team to cave in up in Breffni.

Some wonderful spurts of play and a much better performance than the last day. Not close to complete though but getting that game over us is a huge boost. Hopefully unlike last year we back up a good showing against Cavan with a win in Round 3.

it'll be one of Kildare, Longford, Fermanagh/Antrim in round 3, if the team is going anywhere there should be a round 4

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Yeah have to admit when the goal went in I really feared for us but great response by the team.
    Thought Keenan made a massive difference holding the centre and Donie's kick passing was exceptional throughout. Still stuff to work on like the amount of sloppy turnovers we gave up but great to be in the next round and have 2 weeks to get these things right.

What's the story with injuries lads?

Yeah have to admit when the goal went in I really feared for us but great response by the team.
    Thought Keenan made a massive difference holding the centre and Donie's kick passing was exceptional throughout. Still stuff to work on like the amount of sloppy turnovers we gave up but great to be in the next round and have 2 weeks to get these things right.

What's the story with injuries lads?

One week. We're out next Saturday or Sunday. Win then and we get two weeks for the next game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

One week. We're out next Saturday or Sunday. Win then and we get two weeks for the next game.

Ah right thanks. Will any of the lads out yesterday be back for next weekend?

• Advertisement

Ah right thanks. Will any of the lads out yesterday be back for next weekend?

Haven't a clue. Heard Cregg might have picked up an injury and D. Murtagh was a bit nicked near the end again yesterday. Hopefully nothing too serious.

Given Cathal Shine, Senan K and Niall Carty didn't even make the bench yesterday I'd be surprised if any are ready to start a week later, though. If we're lucky we might get one or two of them onto the subs bench. Beating whoever we get in R3 will give us an extra two weeks to heal up a bit which makes it even bigger for us.

Advertisement