Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Hampshire Primary

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭timesnap

Since 1972 anybody from either party that has won NH and Iowa has gone on to win the nomination. Bill Clinton and George McGovern are the only two to win the nomination without winning both.

Cheers Suryavarman and great knowledge there by you.

i cannot use the thanks option until 25 posts but wanted to know i appreciated the reply.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭timesnap

spagboll wrote: »
    NH got it right for the nomination 6 out of the past 8 times

TY:)
    9 from 16 for Democrats.

13 from 18 for Republicans.

A lot of both of them were unopposed.

Shamelessly robbed from Wikipedia. Not off my own hand.

TY:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭spagboll

i absolutely hate Mitt Romney

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

timesnap wrote: »
    Cheers Suryavarman and great knowledge there by you.

i cannot use the thanks option until 25 posts but wanted to know i appreciated the reply.:)

No problem. It's also worth noting that South Carolina has got the Republican nomination right every time since 1980.

qm.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

I know. I was hoping for another game. I won €20 the last week. Was delighted with myself.

Too boring now so I won't be watching!

BBC news about to show RP speech

oh wait they just need to catch up with all the weather news

CNN have his headquarters live here:

http://edition.cnn.com/video/flashLive/live.html?stream=stream1

Pity it's a pop out window

Ron Paul will never be president but he has started a movement that will get a man into the white house in the next 20 years

• Advertisement

Ron Paul will never be president but he has started a movement that will get a man into the white house in the next 20 years

It's like the movement that helped get Goldwater nominated in 1964. As far as I am aware that was made up of a lot of young people and helped get Reagan the nomination and elected in 1980. Goldwater also helped change the direction of the Republican party back towards a small government position.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Rand get the nomination if Obama gets back in this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

The battle between Vermin and Cowan for second place is almost as exciting as Romeny/Santorum last week. Come on Vermin, you can do it my son.

337 - 323 in favour of Cowan at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

The battle between Vermin and Cowan for second place is almost as exciting as Romeny/Santorum last week. Come on Vermin, you can do it my son.

337 - 323 in favour of Cowan at the moment.
    So it begins....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

kmart6 wrote: »
    So it begins....

Oh god no, please. I'm going to bed now. Cowan has a 24 vote lead over my man. Hopefully when I wake up tomorrow Vermin Supreme will be announced as having come second to Obama in an election. That would make my week :pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

That's a pretty good result for Romney, but I think he will be disappointed that he didn't get over 40% and closer to 50%. It may seem like a clear numbers win over Ron Paul, but it is not good enough to make this a cut and dry race yet.
    Paul won't do as well in South Carolina and you can expect Santorum to do MUCH better in SC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

I wonder who the people who voted for Santorum, Perry and Gingrich will give their second preferences to...

I say that Ron Paul could do better in the Southern States.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,274 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I wonder who the people who voted for Santorum, Perry and Gingrich will give their second preferences to...

I say that Ron Paul could do better in the Southern States.

How is Paul polling there? New Hampshire would seem to have a large libertarian base so his vote came as no big surprise.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    How is Paul polling there? New Hampshire would seem to have a large libertarian base so his vote came as no big surprise.
    Romney is ahead in the polls. He was backed by 37 percent of those likely to vote in the South Carolina primary, according to a CNN/Time/ORC International poll taken Jan. 4-5. Former Pennsylvania Senator Rick Santorum was second with 19 percent, followed by onetime U.S. House Speaker Newt Gingrich at 18 percent, U.S. Representative Ron Paul of Texas at 12 percent and Perry at 5 percent, in a survey that had a margin of error of plus or minus 4.5 percentage points.

Basically like I said a bit earlier, Santorum and Paul will flip in position in SC compared to NH. Paul is just not socially conservative enough for the true right-wing republicans.

EDIT: Source

People seem to be voting for Romney because "he's a great business man, good business track record, he has the know-how to fix the economy". They don't seem to care too much about the fact that he has flip-flopped on a lot of issues.

A business man who flip-flops on a lot of issues seem to me to be someone who's just trying to please the people to get elected and forward his own vested interests in corporate America.

If he became president, he'll turn out just like Obama. How Republican voters are unable to see through his facade is just beyond me.

People seem to be voting for Romney because "he's a great business man, good business track record, he has the know-how to fix the economy". They don't seem to care too much about the fact that he has flip-flopped on a lot of issues.

A business man who flip-flops on a lot of issues seem to me to be someone who's just trying to please the people to get elected and forward his own vested interests in corporate America.

If he became president, he'll turn out just like Obama. How Republican voters are unable to see through his facade is just beyond me.
    That's the big problem with Romney and why he shouldn't be happy finishing under 40% - it's not enough to secure the far-right and the moderates may choose Obama in the main event.

• Advertisement

Here is Fox News' exit poll data for last night. From looking at the data Ron Paul seems to be the only alternative to Romney.

Wow, look at that, 46% of 18-29 year olds voting for Paul. It's amazing how the oldest candidate seems to be the one most in touch with young people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

Conservatives would like to fix the Republican party and beat Barack Obama in 2012. Many have come to realize both can’t be done at once. So beating Obama comes first, fixing the party second. With the choices being Obama and Romney, they will warm up to Romney pretty quickly. At least you will know as POTUS, Romney will represent all the people – not just republicans, unlike the current president who seemingly represents his ideologies and his base peeps. You won’t see conservatives sit this election out in protest, as they feel too much is at stake for the country not to vote. Also, the Tea Party’s planned resurgence in May 2012 will put this administration’s tax and spend addition to the fire all the way up to the election. It will be an interesting year here.

So to paraphrase the Beatles... Come together right now over Romney.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I've been in NH, it's a seriously honky state, surprised that Perry is having such a mare

You mean nightmare do you, I hear ya. Politically and Personally, I find Rick Perry a nightmare too.

His presence should not allow him to be there, Full Stop.

Finishing second in the Republican primary wasn't good enough for Ron Paul. He also finished second in the Democrat primary with 2,273 votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Amerika wrote: »
    Conservatives would like to fix the Republican party and beat Barack Obama in 2012. Many have come to realize both can’t be done at once. So beating Obama comes first, fixing the party second.

I dont know...

You stand a much better chance of wining a presidential election when you're not running against a sitting president.

Which is why the republicans have already thrown this election, they know they dont stand a chance in 2012. Hence the collection of inappropriate candidates plus ron paul (who has to run because he's so old this is his last chance).

Amerika wrote: »
    Also, the Tea Party’s planned resurgence in May 2012 will put this administration’s tax and spend addition to the fire all the way up to the election. It will be an interesting year here.

Resurgence huh? Resurgance from their last debacle.

If you mean their continuing effort to scupper the budget by insisting on paying for tax cuts for the 1% by cutting benefits to pensioners, remember how well that went down with the public when they last tried it before xmas?

If they were half way competent they wouldn't need to "re-surge" because they wouldnt have plunged into insignificance in the first place.

Isnt the definition of stupidity not learning from your past mistakes?

Finishing second in the Republican primary wasn't good enough for Ron Paul. He also finished second in the Democrat primary with 2,273 votes.

Funny. Maybe if his deluded supporters had a clue as to which party he's actually in those 2273 votes may have helped him in his own party's primary.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Funny. Maybe if his deluded supporters had a clue as to which party he's actually in those 2273 votes may have helped him in his own party's primary.

You really don't have a clue. For one, some people troll the primary. Secondly, Mitt Romney got nearly as many votes. Finally, democrats maybe don't want to waste their time re-registering for one stinking vote.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

matthew8 wrote: »
    You really don't have a clue. For one, some people troll the primary. Secondly, Mitt Romney got nearly as many votes. Finally, democrats maybe don't want to waste their time re-registering for one stinking vote.

Before you mouth off perhaps you should do some reading. independent voters can vote in both primary elections in the state of new hampshire. Only those with declared party affiliations are restricted to either primary.

There are more independent voters registered in NH than there are registered republicans and democrats.

Advertisement