Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm a total n00b

• 03-06-2004 4:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

I bought myself a spinning rod and reel about 10 years ago, but never got round to actually using it & was wondering if anyone could advise me on how to go about getting myself set up for some fishing .... I'm based in Dublin, so what are the good spots, plus I'm in Navan most weekends, so what about there too!!

Thanx for any help offered .... I'll dedicate my first fish caught to all who offer help!!

LGM

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭adonis

dublin eh?
    id go sea fishing with that..

you could try howth, (balscaddan) dun laoighire peir, greystones, killiney, clogher head.

you may want to wait for a while for the mackerel to go spinning...

otherwise get yourself some 10/15lb line and a float, some aberdeen hooks, some ragworm, and some small weights..

rorys in temple bar would be good enough to advise you what to buy, but they can sometimes sell you too much...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

What type of spinning rod is it? if it's too light you should'nt use it in the sea as hooking a large fish could break it, as Adonis say's take they advice (usually free and acurate) of the tackle shop dealer.

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

spinning for mackerel (not sure the best time of the year for that, prolly later in the summer) would be a good fun start. if the mackerel are in the water and u dropped a cup tied to some twine in the middle of them they'd prolly try and eat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I'd get myself to Blessington Lake if I was you matey.....

there's a good stock of Pike & Perch, especially near Russelstown at the mouth of the Kings River and at the overflow below Blessington village

You can get a cheap permit from Rory’s or most of the tackle shops.

Spinning is a great method on Blessington - enjoy !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭adonis

no to pike!

i would advise you against spinning for pike if you dont know what you are at.

hard to get hooks out of their mouths, and you need forceps and gags...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Point taken Adonis - would hate him to lose any fingers...

Serious point though, spinning can cause serious damage to the fish if you don't know what you're doing & that applies to coarse, game & sea.

What was your original target species LoneGunM@n ???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

i'd think a bit of lake or canal float fishing is the easiest introduction to angling, it requires less knowledge to catch some fish that way. bait is simple and cheap (sweetcorn) and a few floats and some shot don't cost much. Spinning and Lure fishing in general requires more knowhow that it first appears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭LastIrishMonkey

get some spinners and fish rivers laykes and sea but get small spinner for rivers and laykes and bit bigger for the sea might get a mackeral or pallock is ur lucky maybe even a trout or 2 :D spinning is the easiest way to fish

Advertisement