Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

confrontation with farmer bout permission

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Shoot2kill

Hunter21 wrote: »
    @ shoot2kill as Grizzly said above farming and hunting go hand in hand and we're lucky to have free shooting still. At the end of the day a beggar cant be a chooser.

If your a carpenter doing jobs in a house you don't leave the job because the owner said you can't smoke indoors. There property their rules as simple as.

But I didn't go begging... They phoned me! I don't ever start an arguement with any landowner, like its already been said, their land, their rules!! But I personally operate under the terms that if you i.e the farmer, phone me up to shoot whatever maybe causing the problems on your land well in turn I think it's only fair I should get the go ahead to shoot a few birds or call a fox. Fairs fair like! If not, then get someone else to shoot your rabbits!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Veni Vidi Vici

ssl wrote: »
    A friend of mine who took over his family farm told me I could shoot his land. No problems until I was crossing the land with him and I shot a hare. He was not happy at all. Something to do with folkllore but he told me I was not to shoot hares on his land again.

I got permission from my dad's friend to shoot on his land a week ago, and all he asked was not to shoot a hare that he'd seen running around on it. I said no bother at all! What's that ya mentioned about the folklore? I can't find anything on it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

no farmer should have the right to refuse

Can we pin that post, that's the best one I've heard in a long while :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pugw

Both sides have their point in this situation i reckon.
    1) If I asked for permission to shoot rabbits on someones land and they said dont shoot foxes or phesants I would stick to my word and respect their wishes.
    2) If a farmer rings me up and asks me to lamp a few foxes killing lambs, which I do and its a general "work away" and your popping a few greybacks away during the summer. Well if the following november he looses the plot at me for shooting phesants (which I didnt no was a problem) in that situation I would respectfully vacate the property but when the call comes the following february then he and his lambs would be told to go and swing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Shoot2kill

pugw wrote: »
    Both sides have their point in this situation i reckon.
    1) If I asked for permission to shoot rabbits on someones land and they said dont shoot foxes or phesants I would stick to my word and respect their wishes.
    2) If a farmer rings me up and asks me to lamp a few foxes killing lambs, which I do and its a general "work away" and your popping a few greybacks away during the summer. Well if the following november he looses the plot at me for shooting phesants (which I didnt no was a problem) in that situation I would respectfully vacate the property but when the call comes the following february then he and his lambs would be told to go and swing!

Exactly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭TriggerPL

seconded that !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

I got permission from my dad's friend to shoot on his land a week ago, and all he asked was not to shoot a hare that he'd seen running around on it. I said no bother at all! What's that ya mentioned about the folklore? I can't find anything on it!

In Irish folklore, the hare is often associated with Sidh (Fairy) or other pagan elements. In these stories characters who harm hares often suffer dreadful consequences.

People like seen hare about very few people shoot them. A lot of people think they are protected with no season which is untrue. I'd probably lose my permissions too if i shot a hare.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭EWQuinn

This is one of the better threads I have read in a while, big thumbs up! No lack of problem critters in ROI thats for sure. Over here, public enemy No 1 are prairie dogs, coyotes, and increasingly wild pigs that seem to be universally a problem. In Wyoming they are happy to have Texans pay to hunt pronghorn, known to the local ranchers as "goats".

The Irish Culture/Customs link below talks about the hare, which I quoted below the link. Do not know how valid this is, but I am very impressed that the little buggers can run 45 mph. Fitting discussion in the Easter season.

http://www.irishcultureandcustoms.com/ACustom/Superstitions1.html

"Hares are featured in numerous folktales and my very devout Catholic mother would have been dismayed to learn that the hare - and subsequently, the rabbit - is an ancient pagan symbol. When Christianity came to Ireland, the symbol of the hare was used deliberately to transfer old pagan religion into a Christian context - especially at Easter time. As harbingers of spring, hares were held in high esteem. Over time, the Easter hare became the Easter rabbit or bunny - far less threatening to Christian Ireland than the ancient pagan symbol."

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭irish setter

ok i'll try to be a little clearer on my previous point. farmers make a living on the land and they have a right to make a living off their land and a right to protect that living and their livestock. i come from a farming background and i understand that. i also know there are a few lads hunting that don't give a s**t about farmers or their livestock so the farmer has to have a right to be selective about who he gives permission to. i also know and always do respect the fact that farmers can ban everyone who they like from their land. my problem lies where a farmer bans everyone all year round even though it would have no effect on his living, but just because he don't want anyone on his land. you might say well how does he know the gobs***es from the genuine lads who will respect the land. a few recommendations and phone calls would sort that out. but as in all walks of life you will meet thick people who won't budge and you have to just respect that.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fodda

my problem lies where a farmer bans everyone all year round even though it would have no effect on his living, but just because he don't want anyone on his land.

:eek: Dont know if i am reading this correctly but i think if someone owns something he should have the right to say who else can use it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

my problem lies where a farmer bans everyone all year round even though it would have no effect on his living, but just because he don't want anyone on his land. you might say well how does he know the gobs***es from the genuine lads who will respect the land..

Its his land and he's entitled to let who he wants on it or not and its just tough sh*t for those who aren't.
    He might like deer and other game and find they are not damaging his land. Farmers like this can get on great with gun-clubs because they can use the land as a sanctuary for birds.

He also might be concerned about people falling and getting injured on the land and doesn't want that even if they are insured themselves.

Or he might want to shoot the land himself, cos after all he knows much better than you what damage is happening and if something needs to be done about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Hunter21

i also know and always do respect the fact that farmers can ban everyone who they like from their land. my problem lies where a farmer bans everyone all year round even though it would have no effect on his living, but just because he don't want anyone on his land. you might say well how does he know the gobs***es from the genuine lads who will respect the land. a few recommendations and phone calls would sort that out. but as in all walks of life you will meet thick people who won't budge and you have to just respect that.

Few things here:
    First off your first two sentences in the quote above totally contradict themselves.
    You say you respect they can ban anyone, then go on to say your problem lies when they ban people all year round.

Some respect you show for the farming community by calling some of them "thick" at the end of that post.

Ireland is all about- its not what you know it's who you know. Recommendations and phone calls enquiring about strangers are not most folks cup of tea.

For a person coming from a farming background as you say you seem to live in an idealistic world where every farmer automatically knows genuine hunters and leaves people shoot whenever and whatever they want.

If it wasn't for farmers like this who like to regulate what is shot on their land we wouldn't have an abundant range of birds and fur surviving.

We should be great full for the permissions they give u and the sanctuary to some species they provide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

garv123 wrote: »
    People like seen hare about very few people shoot them. A lot of people think they are protected with no season which is untrue. I'd probably lose my permissions too if i shot a hare.

Same as. Just about none of the farmers around me allow Hares to be shot. Which suits me fine.

I like this concept of farmers not having the right to refuse though :D:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Theshooter2012

I got permission from a man to shoot his land so one day went in with the pointers and they set in a corner of the field so i stood on one side of the hedge and my father stood on the other side. Next thing i know a jeep comes down the road and squeels the tires to stop and he gets out and roars WHAT THE F**KIN HELL ARE YOU DOING?? at this stage he was striding down the field and he stood and squared up to me and shouted straight in my face so i just called the dogs off and said i am not going to argue and loaded the dogs into the jeep.
    I called him 2 days later and asked him what was the story? he replied i was in a bad mood:confused::confused: But i will not hunt the land if he does that when he is in a bad mood to shout and curse at a man with a gun. If someone gets scared they can do some stupid things especially with a gun. i didn't think of doing anything to him but someone who didn't know him could do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭J.R.

I think shooters out shooting need to be very level headed and remain cool, calm & collected when approached by any landowner, whether it's a polite or aggressive encounter. As Grizzly said we are ambassadors for our sport out there each day.

If the landowner becomes aggressive I'd advise anybody to politely walk away. This may not feel manly or macho, or what ever you want to call it, and it can be annoying to take abuse from somebody and feel you're being wronged ......but always remember you are standing there with a gun in your hand/ under your arm (loaded or unloaded).

If the argument becomes heated and voices are raised then you cannot win......firstly it's the landowners land and he decides what's to be shot / at what time / and what species. He can withdraw that permission without a moment's notice.

......secondly, right or wrong....if a complaint is made against you by the landowner to the Gardaí you may have diffilculty renewing the licence.....no F.O. is going to give a licence for a firearm to somebody who loses their temper easily, gets aggressive and is easily riled and gets involved in a shouting match with a gun in their possession.

It can be annoying and degrading if a landowner shouts abuse at you while on his land shooting but two wrongs don't make a right.....if this were to happen to me I'd politely walk off and if I felt really wronged or hard-done-by I ring the landowner from home and explain that I was annoyed by the confrontation and i like to talk to him to clear up the matter.

I'd explain that I'd gone home to drop off the shooting gear & ask if there any problem returning for a calm chat as i'm confused about what annoyed him. He has had time to cool down and think about the outburst and you'll get a chance to talk to him with no firearm there.

I would always be conscious that it could also be very intimidating for the landowner talking to a few lads with guns and dogs when you're on your own....especially on your own land when you're annoyed about something they did (or think they did)

To be honest I've found the majority of landowners to be reasonable and approachable.

We were out pigeon shooting on gun club land one day last year when the tillage farmer, who had leased the land, met us. He was delighted with the number of pigeons shot and asked if we shoot rabbits as well. We told him we did. He said he had a huge rabbit problem on land he had about twenty miles away & would we travel that far. We told him we would and arranged to meet him in the local village near the land the next morning.

We followed him from the village to the land damaged by rabbits. It was grass for silage and was destroyed....rabbits everywhere. We were delighted. We parked and unloaded gear as he drove off.

We were in the field about half an hour with some rabbits shot when a man came in the field gate and never stopped roaring and shouting until he got to us at the other end of the field.

He was shouting' how dare ye....who do ye think ye are.....I'm ringing the guards...ye are in big trouble etc.......... We unloaded the rifles, put them in gunslips, lay them on the grass and went over talking to him.

We politely told him that there seems to be some mix up or confusion here and we didn't know who he was. Speaking calmly to him in a non - aggressive tone worked wonders and he calmed down quickly.

He explained that he was the landowner and wanted to know why we were in his land without permission. We told him the name that had given us permission. He then explained that the individual named had leased the land to cut silage.

This landowner was anti-shooting and didn't want anything shot. He apologised for the initial outburst when he realised that we thought we had permission. The shooting was over...we packed up and left.....but everything was calm and gentlemanly. We respected his wishes....he owned the land...he calls the shots...end of story.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

This thread has been allowed to run to discuss among yourselves your opinions, views, etc. However the discussion is going in the wrong direction, and has crossed the line into talk of illegal activity.

Those posts, and replies have been removed. Further posts of a similar nature will be removed without notice. Stay on topic, and refrain from discussing activities/actions that may land you in legal trouble.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭browning 12 bore

i think you said it there lad keep it cal and keep it together as they say talk to them not shout well done fella

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement