Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dodgy Computer Repair Centres

• 13-08-2009 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭

Not going to name the place or location.

Recently, a friend of mine (not very tech savvy) took his laptop to be repaired after it had gotten slow.
    He left it in to this place expecting to get it back in full working order.
    His machine had these specs beforehand: Vista, 160 gig HDD, 2 gig ram, Turion x 2 1,8 ghz processor. (TL-56)

It now has: 80 gig Hdd (Now broken, came with a copied version of xp pro, full of crap like films and games off the repair guys hard drive), 1 gig ram, Turion processor 2.2 GHZ (the dual core was swapped out for an older single core, works in same socket.)(MK-38)

Both Socket S1

He says there was an internal camera also, but now theres just a lump of rubber where the camera was!
    Apparently the guy told him these things were slowing the machine down.

I've said to him to go to the Gardai or somebody about this, but he doesn't want to.

As I said, I am not going to name any company or place,
    Just want to know if anybody has had similar experiences?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Why won't you name them? Save some other unfortunate going in and getting fcuked.

Has your mate got receipts and everything from this place.

Go to the Gardai if I was you.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭brianrcarney

Name and shame these a**holes!

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Jackovarian

Don't know if he has receipts.
    I'm not going to the Gardai, simply because I wasn't involved. He wont go because he has since bought a new laptop and doesn't want the hassle.

Also, I'm not naming the place because I don't want any trouble. Just said I'd share the information.

Sorry I cant warn people, but its not exactly my fault these hacks are allowed to have businesses!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Where abouts is this crowd? you don't have to tell us just the general area. pack o'wangcars tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

I'm not going to the Gardai, simply because I wasn't involved. He wont go because he has since bought a new laptop and doesn't want the hassle.

Also, I'm not naming the place because I don't want any trouble. Just said I'd share the information.

Sorry I cant warn people, but its not exactly my fault these hacks are allowed to have businesses!

your not chicken are you

(flaps elbows) bwalk bwalk bwalk, BWALK

• Advertisement

Believe me, I would love nothing more than to name these guys.
    I really shouldn't though. I dont want any legal complications rising from this and coming at me.

I'm regretting starting this thread now!
    All i can say is educate yourself of what should and shouldn't be in your machine before you give it to anybody to fix.

Believe me, I would love nothing more than to name these guys.
    I really shouldn't though. I dont want any legal complications rising from this and coming at me.

I'm regretting starting this thread now!
    All i can say is educate yourself of what should and shouldn't be in your machine before you give it to anybody to fix.

Is your boards id your actual name?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

relax op, they are not going to turn up outside your house,

7 wimpy IT geeks are planning to whip ya with cat5e cable, or chuck 40gig ide desktop hard drives with bad sectors thru your windows

Even worse, they may bring out an old BBC micro and throw it at my knee.

My friend says its in Portlaoise. Thats all I know.

yep, thats my actual name.
    My parents love a laugh.

Or, no, the original log in name I wanted had been taken, so I just picked something random.

I dont have ovaries... I think, cant really see inside my body!

• Advertisement

yep, thats my actual name.
    My parents love a laugh.

Or, no, the original log in name I wanted had been taken, so I just picked something random.

I dont have ovaries... I think, cant really see inside my body!

Do you get a wee bit stroppy once a month :pac:

Seriously though, it's shocking bad form that these places are in operation. I guess it's the people that are going there that are keeping the place open.

Me. I'd go to PC world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

There are only a few places in Portlaoise where you can bring in your pc for repairs.
    Lets have a guessing game. Free Demonoid invite for the first person to get it right.

It could be

Some of them are incompetent idiots anyway.

I sent a laptop in for repair once, the screen just displayed grey, but it worked through VGA output. Got it back six weeks later, was told it was the graphics ram, it was corrupt, yet it played games full whack.... hmmmmmm

So I had a wee look, only to find that a six pin chip, beside the lcd connector had burned out, due to a frayed ribbon connector causing a short.

They couldn't see that, it was right beside the connector!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ive also had my dvd drive swapped out, "by mistake" I was told, This guy was using it in his laptop.

Cant say which one. But I can tell you that a lot of those guys are gents, and they do good work.

So I feel bad for them having been thrown into this. Until I've seen my friends receipt I wont name anyone. Sorry guys!

Actually, its none of those guys listed. They used to have a website, but I don't think its up anymore.
    Just so you know, don't want those companies under suspicion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

Fair enough so. Ill remove them.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭themacdaddy

TBH i don't trust any of those places...not even PC World...I always feel these guys will try sell you stuff and add-ons that you don't need..I know a bit about computers but I have a mate that fixes them for a living....he knows as much as those lads/ladies in those stores and does a better job imho.

The guy in question is an active boardsie. So maybe when he reads this he'll come on and explain himself.

I've nothing more to say on the matter really, maybe you should leave that list up, so people know they're ok to go to!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 enigmadoom

RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE.......hmmmm plaois, there is a couple o ppl who have repair shops there who arent properly qualified anyway.....dodgy whores...if we could name and shame without legal complications wouldnt it be grand!!!! went into a place just last week asking for ddr2 and a 250gig sata was told 'sorry we dont stock those brands, we have buffalo tho' f00kin chancers. got there qualies from a cereal box....asked for a vista disk too was offered xp copy......was also asked to leave in mylaptop for no apparant reason.....

JUST BE CAREFUL AND STICK WITH THE REPUTABLE GUYS!!! there is somegood repair guys in portlaoise.....only a few c0nts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 enigmadoom

i like the sense themacdaddy makes...i wish he was my daddy

• Advertisement

By the way I was taking the piss when I said I'd take it to PC world.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

If he won't report it then I have f-all sympathy for him. How many more people are going to get screwed by the same chancers in the future?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

I think Sky recently did a secret consumer study of this dodgy area.
    They found in one case that not only did they misdiagnose a disconnected memory card (as a faulty mobo), they also found pictures of the female "owner" in a bikini and downloaded them (o.k. it was SKY tv).

My advice is avoid any repair shops and use a nerdy friend, or find a nerdy friend (hey, we need love too).

Advertisement