Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best options for a new website!

• 28-02-2014 2:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭

Hey there, the last time I built a site it was in HTML and in about 1995! I need to build a site for work so im asking for some advice. <snip> what software is the handiest for putting something decent together?
    I need a calendar for events, a tie in for Facebook and Twitter posts and an image gallery. Its not going to be over the top, pretty basic in fact. It needs to be handy to update regularly too. Is there a one stop shop for all this like Joomla or Wordpress, would they do the job? And if so, whats the learning curve on them? Could I get something basic together in a few days?
    Hit me up with advice, recommendations and anything else you can think of!

thanks gang!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

WordPress with a social media widget and an image gallery widget should do the trick nice, quick and easy.

As for hosting, talk of that is a no-no on boards.ie. This part of the charter is the only post with hosting info: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=53028341&postcount=2

• Registered Users Posts: 37 mark8511

Hi Thanks

Will recommend you WordPress which is pretty simple to use and add functionality to it. You can add most of things here with simple click and it is very easy to customize, joomla looks too complicated to use ( my personal views).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Wordpress is very good, but you need to make sure you keep it up to date.

There are a LOT of themes and plugins that you can use to get pretty much any functionality you can think of

Advertisement